DVDs overtake VCRs in homes: report

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-06, 04:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
DVDs overtake VCRs in homes: report

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20061220/media_nm/dvd_dc_2

By Thomas K. Arnold
Wed Dec 20, 4:31 AM ET

LOS ANGELES (Hollywood Reporter) - Proof finally has come that DVD has, in fact, entered the mature phase. On the eve of the 10th anniversary of the format's March 1997 launch, a new study shows that more U.S. households now own DVD players than VCRs.

As of the third quarter of this year, 81.2% of all households have at least one DVD player, while 79.2% of households have a VCR, according to Nielsen Media Research's Third Quarter Home Technology Report.

DVD penetration is up 6% from the previous year and continues to grow, according to Nielsen, while VCR penetration is declining. In 1999, when Nielsen first began tracking DVD ownership, DVD penetration stood at 6.7%, while 88.6% of all U.S. households had VCRs.

The Nielsen report also found that DVD households rent DVDs about twice a month, while VCR households rent videocassettes only once a month.

The Home Technology Report also found that 73.4% of U.S. homes have a computer, 26.7% own or rent an MP3 player, and 16.4% have a PDA (personal digital assistant). Of consumers with Internet access, 95.4% go online at least once a day, 37.3% go online more than once a day, 78.2% have made purchases over the Internet and 46.8% have used the Internet to download or stream music.

Reuters/Hollywood Reporter

Looking back, I think the studios would agree that DVDz became more popular than they or anyone else could have imagined.

Chris
Old 12-20-06, 04:33 PM
Bye

How the hell do you rent an MP3 player???

Nah, DVD became as popular as the studios hoped it would be. I won't say they were counting on it, but I think they were pleasantly surprised rather than blown away by its runaway success or anything. At the end of VHS, duplication was really cheap and they were still selling for a decent price, whereas DVD replication was relatively expensive and not a lot of people were buying them. They've really just exchanged one cash cow for another, so if they're pleased about anything it's that they don't have to support both formats.
Old 12-20-06, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

yea how do you rent an mp3 player and why would you want to rent one? just buy one there not that expensive.
and its been 10 years of the dvd and vhs has just started to slide down but nielson is crap it really is i hate the hole system with a passion.
now blu-ray and hd-dvd are out its to soon for another format especially 2 different formats to come out this soon.
i wish studios would stop forcing all this new crap that won't be around in a year anyway.
stick with dvd for at least at the very least another 10-15 years cause it really hasn't had the chance to be at its highest potenial.
they still need to alot of work and id like to see dvds around for awhile to come.
im sick of replacing everything for new formats that don't have that much improvement.
altrough dvd was a HUGE improvement from vhs.
Old 12-20-06, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 453 Likes on 311 Posts
They misspelled "penitration"
Old 12-20-06, 05:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't have a VCR.
Old 12-20-06, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by DVDpackrat
I don't have a VCR.
Well of course you don't or then you would be VCRpackrat.

Chris
Old 12-20-06, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by nateman241
now blu-ray and hd-dvd are out its to soon for another format especially 2 different formats to come out this soon.
Here we go again. The format war is one thing, but it is not too soon for HD. If you don't want it, don't buy it. DVD isn't going anywhere.
Old 12-20-06, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by DVDpackrat
I don't have a VCR.
I don't either. I would like to get another one eventually just so I can watch some of my old tapes.
Old 12-20-06, 11:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm transferring all my rare VHS and LD to DVD-R and hope to be VHS-free one day soon. But I'll still keep some of my favorites in those formats for the collectable aspects.
Old 12-20-06, 11:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Todd B.
They misspelled "penitration"
Don't know how you spell it in Hawaii... but here on 'the mainland' we spell it 'penetration'.

Last edited by Al_Tahoe; 12-20-06 at 11:45 PM.
Old 12-21-06, 01:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
that whole sentence about dvd and vcr penetration was hard to read without feeling uncomfterable...
Old 12-21-06, 02:49 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

In other surprising news, the sky is blue and cloudy.
Old 12-21-06, 07:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i wish studios would stop forcing all this new crap that won't be around in a year anyway.
stick with dvd for at least at the very least another 10-15 years cause it really hasn't had the chance to be at its highest potenial.
they still need to alot of work and id like to see dvds around for awhile to come.
im sick of replacing everything for new formats that don't have that much improvement.
altrough dvd was a HUGE improvement from vhs.
Why does it always come down to this? Its technology...We all get that you want to stick with DVD. Great, no one is forcing anyone to buy into anything, but the fact is there will always be "a better mouse trap". Im not even going to get into the improvement debate again. I was thinking about picking up a cheapie VCR since its been about 3-years since I watched anything on VHS and I cant remember what it looked like.
Old 12-21-06, 08:33 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Well what is the big surprise here? Ever try to find Mission:Impossible III on VHS to rent or buy?

The only reason VCRs are still around is so people can record television. These numbers flow from the number of people who own DVRs and DVD players. I mean in general practically everyone has a DVD player. I think more people are ditching their VCRs for DVRs.

Last edited by rfduncan; 12-21-06 at 08:37 AM.
Old 12-21-06, 08:41 AM

I still own a vcr. Bought it 3 years ago. A good 4 head Panasonic. Just finished watching the Rankin Bass stuff I bought a few years ago as I dont think for once a year viewing the dvd price was worth it without any extras like the Grinch 40th had.
Old 12-21-06, 08:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,308 Likes on 952 Posts
Yeah, I still have a VCR but can't remember the last time I used it. I DVR shows now. I think I'm down to 2 tapes of movies not on DVD (yet).
Old 12-21-06, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

There's one question still remaining though - does DVD rewinder take over VCR rewinders?
Old 12-21-06, 09:52 AM
Bye

Originally Posted by eedoon
There's one question still remaining though - does DVD rewinder take over VCR rewinders?
I think there was something like that on Leno, wasn't there? They took a motorized CD cleaner or something and presented it as a "DVD rewinder". Pretty damn funny.
Old 12-21-06, 09:53 AM
Bye

Originally Posted by Al_Tahoe
Don't know how you spell it in Hawaii... but here on 'the mainland' we spell it 'penetration'.
Yeah, I think someone has a dirty mind and assumed it had to be spelled the same way as "penis".
Old 12-21-06, 09:59 AM
Bye

...vhs has just started to slide down...
WHAT??? Where in the world do you live where VHS hasn't all but vanished??? VHS "just started to slide down" about a day after DVD was introduced. I'll grant you that it took a few years for DVD to enter the mainstream (huh huh, he said "enter"...), but by the time that happened, you could already see VHS tapes disappearing from store shelves. Well, at least I could.
Old 12-21-06, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike Adams
Yeah, I think someone has a dirty mind and assumed it had to be spelled the same way as "penis".
Penistration?
Old 12-21-06, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,308 Likes on 952 Posts
Moving to Mature....
Old 12-21-06, 01:03 PM

the bigger shock to me is it took ten years .I wonder where dvds will be in 10 years?

Last edited by bloopbleep; 12-21-06 at 08:37 PM.
Old 12-21-06, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I still have a VCR in my living room as a "just in case". But I honestly don't know if it even works since I haven't used it in probably two years. I record everything on my DVR and only use the VCR when I rent something that's not available on DVD. But I haven't rented anything from a B&M in close to a year now. I bet in the last 5 years I've watched a total of 10 things on the VCR. It's definitely a relic in my house.
Old 12-21-06, 02:30 PM
Bye

Originally Posted by Fincher Fan
Penistration?
He spelled it "penitration", and I assumed he though it should be spelled that way because of the peni- in "penis".

Anyway, back to things that matter....

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.