DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   DVDs overtake VCRs in homes: report (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/487237-dvds-overtake-vcrs-homes-report.html)

mrpayroll 12-20-06 04:14 PM

DVDs overtake VCRs in homes: report

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20061220/media_nm/dvd_dc_2

By Thomas K. Arnold
Wed Dec 20, 4:31 AM ET

LOS ANGELES (Hollywood Reporter) - Proof finally has come that DVD has, in fact, entered the mature phase. On the eve of the 10th anniversary of the format's March 1997 launch, a new study shows that more U.S. households now own DVD players than VCRs.

As of the third quarter of this year, 81.2% of all households have at least one DVD player, while 79.2% of households have a VCR, according to Nielsen Media Research's Third Quarter Home Technology Report.

DVD penetration is up 6% from the previous year and continues to grow, according to Nielsen, while VCR penetration is declining. In 1999, when Nielsen first began tracking DVD ownership, DVD penetration stood at 6.7%, while 88.6% of all U.S. households had VCRs.

The Nielsen report also found that DVD households rent DVDs about twice a month, while VCR households rent videocassettes only once a month.

The Home Technology Report also found that 73.4% of U.S. homes have a computer, 26.7% own or rent an MP3 player, and 16.4% have a PDA (personal digital assistant). Of consumers with Internet access, 95.4% go online at least once a day, 37.3% go online more than once a day, 78.2% have made purchases over the Internet and 46.8% have used the Internet to download or stream music.

Reuters/Hollywood Reporter

Looking back, I think the studios would agree that DVDz became more popular than they or anyone else could have imagined.

Chris

Mike Adams 12-20-06 04:33 PM

How the hell do you <b>rent</b> an MP3 player???

Nah, DVD became as popular as the studios <b>hoped</b> it would be. I won't say they were counting on it, but I think they were pleasantly surprised rather than blown away by its runaway success or anything. At the end of VHS, duplication was really cheap and they were still selling for a decent price, whereas DVD replication was relatively expensive and not a lot of people were buying them. They've really just exchanged one cash cow for another, so if they're pleased about anything it's that they don't have to support both formats.

nateman 12-20-06 05:08 PM

yea how do you rent an mp3 player and why would you want to rent one? just buy one there not that expensive.
and its been 10 years of the dvd and vhs has just started to slide down but nielson is crap it really is i hate the hole system with a passion.
now blu-ray and hd-dvd are out its to soon for another format especially 2 different formats to come out this soon.
i wish studios would stop forcing all this new crap that won't be around in a year anyway.
stick with dvd for at least at the very least another 10-15 years cause it really hasn't had the chance to be at its highest potenial.
they still need to alot of work and id like to see dvds around for awhile to come.
im sick of replacing everything for new formats that don't have that much improvement.
altrough dvd was a HUGE improvement from vhs.

TheBang 12-20-06 05:10 PM

They misspelled "penitration"

DVDpackrat 12-20-06 05:21 PM

I don't have a VCR.

mrpayroll 12-20-06 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by DVDpackrat
I don't have a VCR.

Well of course you don't or then you would be VCRpackrat.

Chris

Drexl 12-20-06 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by nateman241
now blu-ray and hd-dvd are out its to soon for another format especially 2 different formats to come out this soon.

Here we go again. The format war is one thing, but it is not too soon for HD. If you don't want it, don't buy it. DVD isn't going anywhere.

EdTheRipper 12-20-06 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by DVDpackrat
I don't have a VCR.

I don't either. I would like to get another one eventually just so I can watch some of my old tapes.

Disc-Flipper 12-20-06 11:22 PM

I'm transferring all my rare VHS and LD to DVD-R and hope to be VHS-free one day soon. But I'll still keep some of my favorites in those formats for the collectable aspects.

Al_Tahoe 12-20-06 11:41 PM

Originally Posted by Todd B.
They misspelled "penitration"

Don't know how you spell it in Hawaii... but here on 'the mainland' we spell it 'penetration'. -wink-

freshticles 12-21-06 01:56 AM

that whole sentence about dvd and vcr penetration was hard to read without feeling uncomfterable...

ReduxGuy 12-21-06 02:49 AM

In other surprising news, the sky is blue and cloudy.

FantasticVSDoom 12-21-06 07:32 AM

i wish studios would stop forcing all this new crap that won't be around in a year anyway.
stick with dvd for at least at the very least another 10-15 years cause it really hasn't had the chance to be at its highest potenial.
they still need to alot of work and id like to see dvds around for awhile to come.
im sick of replacing everything for new formats that don't have that much improvement.
altrough dvd was a HUGE improvement from vhs.

Why does it always come down to this? Its technology...We all get that you want to stick with DVD. Great, no one is forcing anyone to buy into anything, but the fact is there will always be "a better mouse trap". Im not even going to get into the improvement debate again. I was thinking about picking up a cheapie VCR since its been about 3-years since I watched anything on VHS and I cant remember what it looked like.

rfduncan 12-21-06 08:33 AM

Well what is the big surprise here? Ever try to find Mission:Impossible III on VHS to rent or buy?

The only reason VCRs are still around is so people can record television. These numbers flow from the number of people who own DVRs and DVD players. I mean in general practically everyone has a DVD player. I think more people are ditching their VCRs for DVRs.

CinemaNut 12-21-06 08:41 AM

I still own a vcr. Bought it 3 years ago. A good 4 head Panasonic. Just finished watching the Rankin Bass stuff I bought a few years ago as I dont think for once a year viewing the dvd price was worth it without any extras like the Grinch 40th had.

TomOpus 12-21-06 08:42 AM

Yeah, I still have a VCR but can't remember the last time I used it. I DVR shows now. I think I'm down to 2 tapes of movies not on DVD (yet).

eedoon 12-21-06 08:46 AM

There's one question still remaining though - does DVD rewinder take over VCR rewinders?

Mike Adams 12-21-06 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by eedoon
There's one question still remaining though - does DVD rewinder take over VCR rewinders?

I think there was something like that on Leno, wasn't there? They took a motorized CD cleaner or something and presented it as a "DVD rewinder". Pretty damn funny. :lol:

Mike Adams 12-21-06 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by Al_Tahoe
Don't know how you spell it in Hawaii... but here on 'the mainland' we spell it 'penetration'. -wink-

Yeah, I think someone has a dirty mind and assumed it had to be spelled the same way as "penis". ;)

Mike Adams 12-21-06 09:59 AM

...vhs has just started to slide down...

WHAT??? Where in the world do <b>you</b> live where VHS hasn't all but vanished??? VHS "just started to slide down" about a day after DVD was introduced. I'll grant you that it took a few years for DVD to enter the mainstream (huh huh, he said "enter"...), but by the time that happened, you could already see VHS tapes disappearing from store shelves. Well, at least <i>I</i> could. ;)

Fincher Fan 12-21-06 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by Mike Adams
Yeah, I think someone has a dirty mind and assumed it had to be spelled the same way as "penis". ;)

Penistration?

TomOpus 12-21-06 10:36 AM

Moving to Mature....

bloopbleep 12-21-06 01:03 PM

the bigger shock to me is it took ten years .I wonder where dvds will be in 10 years?

joliom 12-21-06 02:02 PM

I still have a VCR in my living room as a "just in case". But I honestly don't know if it even works since I haven't used it in probably two years. I record everything on my DVR and only use the VCR when I rent something that's not available on DVD. But I haven't rented anything from a B&M in close to a year now. I bet in the last 5 years I've watched a total of 10 things on the VCR. It's definitely a relic in my house.

Mike Adams 12-21-06 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by Fincher Fan
Penistration?

He spelled it "penitration", and I assumed he though it should be spelled that way because of the peni- in "penis".

Anyway, back to things that matter....

caiman 12-21-06 02:44 PM

I bet those numbers would be radically different if instead of "Households WITH VCR/DVD players" the statistic was "Households that USE a VCR/DVD Player." I bet the majority of households with VCRs rarely use them and also have a DVD player.

ResIpsa 12-21-06 02:50 PM

What's a VCR? ;)

Mike Adams 12-21-06 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by ResIpsa
What's a VCR? ;)

Vintage Consumer Relic? ;)

Peep 12-21-06 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by caiman
I bet those numbers would be radically different if instead of "Households WITH VCR/DVD players" the statistic was "Households that USE a VCR/DVD Player." I bet the majority of households with VCRs rarely use them and also have a DVD player.

From what I hear, VHS is still popular in the kidvid market. I bet a lot of people only use their VCR's to play videos for their kids.

Mike Adams 12-21-06 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by Peep
From what I hear, VHS is still popular in the kidvid market. I bet a lot of people only use their VCR's to play videos for their kids.

My take on that is that the kiddie market is the thread VHS is hanging by, and even so, you're still gonna be really hard-pressed to find a lot of kiddie titles on VHS. Everything but everything is focused on DVD now -- if kids are responsible for any VCR use, it's watching videos they already <b>have</b>, not that there's still any kind of market for kids' titles on VHS.

nateman 12-21-06 04:58 PM

WHAT??? Where in the world do <b>you</b> live where VHS hasn't all but vanished??? VHS "just started to slide down" about a day after DVD was introduced. I'll grant you that it took a few years for DVD to enter the mainstream (huh huh, he said "enter"...), but by the time that happened, you could already see VHS tapes disappearing from store shelves. Well, at least <i>I</i> could. ;)

i guess i should have stated my comment better. vhs has just started to decline in the way of people recording on the tapes even then alot of people still tape on vhs. a lot of the older population uses vhs and still people dont own dvd players or they own one but dont have many dvds. i still see vhs recordable tapes in wal-mart through you right they have mostly disapeared over the last few years.
now your comment on vhs sliding down a day after dvd came out is not true watsoever.

in regards to the hd feedback i did not say i hate hd i just said that or what i ment was that the mass majority of people still will use normal sd-dvds, i dont know were you got the idea i dont like hd i just dont think its right to have 2 new formats and price them so high, thats why i think they will both fail.
its amazing how people who like hd defend it like crazy and people who don't have hd just don't care as much.
so read the hole thing before making a comment cause i didn't say i hate hd cause thats not the case i just dont think we should be forced into it so fast.

Mike Adams 12-21-06 05:05 PM

Okay, yes, VHS didn't die as soon as DVD was introduced, but what I said was that it <i>started</i> to die, in the same way that as soon as you're born, you begin to die. Just a bad metaphor, I guess.

I get your point about recording on VHS -- I didn't realize that's what you meant. It's definitely fair to say that not everybody's got a TiVo or other DVR, so if VCRs are used for anything these days, it's recording off TV.

I don't really take issue with your opinions of HD, except that I hope you mean hardware prices when you say it's a high-priced format. The discs seem right in line with standard-def DVDs, and I think the combo discs are a great way for those of us who can't play the HD side yet to actually buy the new format and still get some use out of the disc.

gutwrencher 12-21-06 05:29 PM

From what I hear, VHS is still popular in the kidvid market.
Trailer parks too. However, some of the best trailer-homes in Iowa will be getting into dvds this Christmas with so many good deals going on. Congrats, Stuart!(your head is by the snowcone machine):D

Altimus Prime 12-21-06 05:33 PM

Only thing I use my VCR for is to record TV shows I don't want to miss when I'm not home, but there's only a few TV shows I really watch. Or - specific to my situation - to tape a show for a coworker who doesn't have the channel.

There's other ways to record TV, but for me it's simple with a VCR, and I have it.

Also, and most importantly, I use my VCR for its inputs. My TV is low in input lines, and I need the additional ones on the VCR.

I still have some movies only on tape. Can't recall last time I watched one.

TheBang 12-21-06 05:35 PM

He spelled it "penitration", and I assumed he though it should be spelled that way because of the peni- in "penis".

Anyway, back to things that matter....

No, no, it's an old DVD Talk in-joke, because Geoff doesn't know how to spell... sigh, nevermind...

Ginwen 12-21-06 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by caiman

That's what I think. I haven't used mine since I got a DVR about a year ago, but I do still own one.

nateman 12-21-06 05:41 PM

Okay, yes, VHS didn't die as soon as DVD was introduced, but what I said was that it <i>started</i> to die, in the same way that as soon as you're born, you begin to die. Just a bad metaphor, I guess.

I get your point about recording on VHS -- I didn't realize that's what you meant. It's definitely fair to say that not everybody's got a TiVo or other DVR, so if VCRs are used for anything these days, it's recording off TV.

I don't really take issue with your opinions of HD, except that I hope you mean hardware prices when you say it's a high-priced format. The discs seem right in line with standard-def DVDs, and I think the combo discs are a great way for those of us who can't play the HD side yet to actually buy the new format and still get some use out of the disc.

i %100 argree with everything you say this time. i personally use a dvd recorder but some people i know still use vhs cause they just have a dvd player and not a recorder.
and i also %100 argree with your opinions on hd the mass market i just dont think will buy it for awhile.

Mike Adams 12-21-06 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by Todd B.
No, no, it's an old DVD Talk in-joke, because Geoff doesn't know how to spell... sigh, nevermind...

Oh, sorry... haven't been around that long. :blush:

Mike Adams 12-21-06 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by Altimus Prime
...I use my VCR for its inputs. My TV is low in input lines, and I need the additional ones on the VCR.

Be careful, depending on the VCR and what you plug into it, you could end up seeing Macrovision side effects like darkening and brightening picture, etc. when you run something like a DVD player through your VCR. For stuff like videogame consoles it should be fine, though.

EDIT: Woohoo! 600 posts! :banana:

king slug 12-21-06 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by bloopbleep
the bigger shock to me is it took ten years .I wonder where will be in 10 years?

Still alive and kicking, but might be fighting for it's life in a little over 10 years. If it took this long for DVD's to take over VCR's, I'd imagine the same for HDTV's. Of course with HDTV's come HD-DVD's (or Blu-Rays.) The high def dvd's are definitely going to take over DVD's, it's just a matter of time when they will.