Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

How do you organize your DVD collection?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

How do you organize your DVD collection?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-07, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I keep all my movies alphabetical except I try to keep movies in a franchise together. American Wedding comes after American Pie 2 even though alphabetically it would come after American Psycho and American Splendor.

Box sets are separate. As are T.V. I keep Criterions sorted by number. I'll probably keep the Masters of Cinema separate too.
Old 07-07-07, 05:23 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For me it is -

Disney animated
T.V
Boxsets, special packaging or slipcover
Standard DVD cases.
Old 07-07-07, 05:58 PM

Categories in alphabetical order by title, although some directors get grouped together.

- American
- Foreign (Euro)
- Japanese
- Chinese
- Criterion

Criterion gets its own category for ease of filing. They are a studio with a wealth of great titles from all genres, that for me became identified with the studio, and therefore are easier for me to find within its own space.
Old 07-07-07, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Oh good lord, here we go:

- Movies (alphabetically)
- Trilogies/Sets of Movies (BTTF, Indy, LOTR, Matrix, Star Wars (I,II,Clone Wars,III,IV-VI), Kevin Smith Movies, Tarintino Movies, Three Colors Trilogy)
- The James Bond Collection
- Disney (by year of release)
- TV Series (alphabetically)
- Stargate (Movie, then Seasons 1-9, then Atlantis 1-2)
- Star Trek (TNG Seasons 1-7, 10 Movies)
- Music (DMB stuff my girlfriend has)
- "Other" (including only one DVD, The Best of the Bond Girls)
Old 07-07-07, 07:02 PM

I organize by quality, and I'm surprised that no one else seems to do so. I put the DVDs I believe are the best on the top shelf and at the bottom I have the crap I've managed to accumulate. I think this is a pretty good uncomplicated system.
Old 07-07-07, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i ran out of shelf space a long time ago... so i 'organize' one book shelf of 'likely to watch' on no particular order... then boxes of DVD's... and drawers in various dressers and the like full of DVD's...

so i guess the answer is i don't organize... i have more than one copy of several DVD's because i'm not sure i own it and buy it again...

which makes me kinda stupid i reckon...
Old 07-08-07, 12:36 AM

I organize them alphabetically into 3 sections: movies(what should i do with my iwo jima box?!?), anime, and tv shows.
Old 07-08-07, 01:58 AM

Right now I just have them separated by Movies & Television. I also display some of my favorite DVDs with those IKEA mini easels. I do change ti up now and then though.
Old 07-08-07, 02:26 AM

i actually don't have mine organized. i'll be moving back to college in another month so there wasn't much of a point in my organizing them just for the summer months back at home.

i'd also like to point out that in the past my collection has grown so fast (i've added about 170 movies in the past year) that it made organizing it so much of a chore that i might just say hell with it for awhile.
Old 07-08-07, 03:37 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

In my house its kinda funky: we have my parents collection in the living room (divided by box sets, individual movies, and children movies) and then the DVDs in my bedroom (divided by individual movies, box sets, and television).
Old 07-08-07, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts
All filed alphabeticaly by title.
-Tv shows
-Music Video's
-Foreigh Language Films
-James Bond Films
-Movie Box Sets
-Movies
Old 07-08-07, 08:00 PM
Cool New Member

Strict Alphabetical and articles don't count, for example, The Moonspinners is alphabetized by the 'M'.
Old 07-08-07, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Where ever a space is. No organization at all. I don't have enough that I can't find a title after a few seconds of scanning the ends.
Old 07-10-07, 12:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It would same that I go along with the sort of plain and normal, but there are few minor tweaks that again seems to be the norm. Since I've moved back in with my mom my room for shelfing etc. became rather limited, and so I broke down and bought binders.

The break down in the binders is alphabetized movies (single disc) and then to double-disc movies (got sick of shuffling them around to keep the two together). After that in the binder are concert/music video stuff. When I did this reorganization in this way, I made it a point to leave gaps in there to allow room for future adds. For example, in the single discs, I put 3 to each page, which holds a total of 4. So adding on should be no problem for quite a while.

Also, during this reorganization, I got sick of seeing very plain discs in the line up, specifically, the gray ones. You know the ones I'm talking about. So those are set aside and will eventually get their own binder.

Movies that don't make the binders are "special" in some capacity, for example the box itself that it comes in is not just a standard amaray with an insert. Like the Black Hawk Down 3-disc set for example. Also, movies that are "flippers" are kept in their boxes no matter what, as the binders are nicely set up to pamper one side of the disc, but not both. Those have their own little section, and along with them (often flippers in and of themselves) are the multi-movie sets like Lethal Weapon 1-3 (not the box set, just the single size amaray that has all 3 movies in it), things of that nature. The same thing applies to concert/music video stuff.

Finally, there's the "other" stuff: wrestling, MMA, documentaries and stand-up comedy or "performance" stuff that wasn't tv related (example: CKY stuff). So wrestling's got the top shelf, organized by PPV (alphabetized, then chronological: so Wrestlemania's are all together, chronologically). Next are the compilation ones (ECW Path of Destruction, Ladder Matches, etc.). Finally there are the wrestling documentaries (Benoit, Flair, Hart, Beyond the Mat etc.)

I think that covers it all....laff...what madness! But I do recall trying to organize by genre, and just got disgusted by vacillating on where some movies belong.
Old 07-10-07, 02:04 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
everything a-z
Old 07-10-07, 02:05 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
but series together eg evil dead
Old 07-10-07, 08:03 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I organize everything A-Z but I seperate my movies and TV shows on different DVD stands, and I keep my box sets on a serperate shelf.
Old 07-10-07, 08:19 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

All alphabetically

1) HD-DVDs
2) Movies
3) Box Sets and TV Shows (on top shelf)
4) Sports
5) Live Performance/Music
Old 07-10-07, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The closest open spot when I go to put them away.
Old 07-10-07, 10:58 AM

TV Boxsets followed by alphabatized DVDs, although I also like to keep franchises together.
Old 07-10-07, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by caiman
The point of organizing is to make a particular DVD easy to find, especially by guests who may not be familiar with my collection. Thus alphabetical is, to me, the only thing that makes any sense.

By studio is ridiculous. ("Hmm, I'm in the mood for a Paramount movie today! Let's go to the Paramount section!")

By genre leaves too much room for subjectivity. Is Evil Dead 2 a horror or a comedy? Is Heat action or drama? I just avoid the headache entirely.

Separating by "mainstream," "classics" etc is equally subjective and therefore a hassle.

Separating Criterions? Give me a break. "So uh, why are these movies separate from the others?" "Oh, those are, uh, special movies..."

Dividing between films and TV shows is okay I guess, but I've never seen the point. If I want to watch, say, season 4 of The Simpsons, it's not hard to locate. It's right there in the middle of the big colorful block of "Simpsons" DVDs in the "S" section.
For some reason, I LOVED that post.
Old 07-10-07, 11:18 AM
Suspended

"Movies" in one section
Kids movies and most animation in another
TV boxsets/DVD boxsets in another
Superbits and Criterions in one more
HDDVD/Bluray in the last
Old 07-10-07, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Mine used to all be alpha, but I have them in two rooms now (due to how many I have), and multiple shelves, so I've had to change that to keep them organized.

Mine are non-snappers alpha, snappers alpha (used to keep them together but it looked crappy), music alpha by group, animation-alpha, Criterions by number (which I find annoying and will change sometime since I can't always find what I want), boxed sets by a combo of genre and studio (depending on how it looks better), tv sets by genre. I also have a few (Clint Eastwood movies of which I have about 30, Harryhausen, Fox Studio Classics and Fox Noir) in separate groups.

It would be confusing to anyone else, but other than the criterions it's easy to find what I'm looking for.
Old 07-10-07, 02:03 PM

Correctly.
Old 07-15-07, 04:14 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts
Movies alphabetically in binders (to save space).

TV shows in bookcases by genre/subject.

Documentaries, music, and other strangeness that doesn't really fit the first two tiers on a separate rack.

My preference would be everything A-Z on multiple walls of bookcases, but space prevents that at this point in my life.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.