Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Paramont really needs to do an Eddie Murphey Boxset

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 12-11-06, 01:17 PM

I really wish Paramont would make an Eddie Murphey Boxset with anamorphic special editions of both 48 hours films, Coming to America, Golden Child and it'd be nice to have some bonus features on Trading Places. Any chance of this happening anytime soon?
Old 12-11-06, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Apparently they are going to make a Beverly Hills Cop 4, so I'd imagine that we could eventually see this come to light eventually from Paramount. Coming To America imo is one of the best comedy ever, it deserves a SE on it's own! Eddie Murphy may even get a supporting actor Oscar nod for his role in Dreamgirls. Things could get interesting in 07-08 if your a Murphy fan.
Old 12-11-06, 01:58 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Would it be for the 'funny' eddie or the 'washed-up' eddie ?
Old 12-11-06, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

there's a boxset from the UK, which includes:Raw/Coming To America/Trading Places.all are anamorphic.
Old 12-11-06, 03:19 PM

I'm surprised the folks over at Paramount have scrounged around and haven't found the footage that got 'cut' from Raw - apparently the MPAA deemed the film X-rated (for language - !!) three times til a whole bunch of scenes were removed and found 'R-rating' acceptable.
Old 12-11-06, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Yeah this is long overdue. We need Special Collector's Editions (with newly rendered anamorphic transfers down-converted from HD) of 48 Hrs., Trading Places, and Coming to America. Also just a release period of Delirious. An uncut Raw and new SE's for The Golden Child, Another 48 Hrs., Boomerang, Harlem Nights and Vampire in Brooklyn would just be icing on the cake. Oh yeah, and for God's sake, get some decent coverart on the Trading Places DVD. The current cover is a complete disgrace and ranks as one of the worst I've seen from a major studio. Here's hoping this happens sooner than later.
Old 12-12-06, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by vegasbaby
Would it be for the 'funny' eddie or the 'washed-up' eddie ?
It would be the pre-'I was just giving her/him a ride' Eddie.
Old 12-12-06, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Coming to America needs a special edition. That's our traditional christmas film. As soon as it hit's 12:00 am on christmas morning, my wife and I turn that on and open our gifts to eachother. Been doing that for like 8 years now.
Old 12-13-06, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by Giles
I'm surprised the folks over at Paramount have scrounged around and haven't found the footage that got 'cut' from Raw - apparently the MPAA deemed the film X-rated (for language - !!) three times til a whole bunch of scenes were removed and found 'R-rating' acceptable.
whoah....uncut RAW? I gotta see this!

Originally Posted by Al_Tahoe
It would be the pre-'I was just giving her/him a ride' Eddie.

?
Old 12-13-06, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Giles
I'd like that. And before a box set, how about they release Delirious?!?! Oh - I see it is finally being released on 2/6. Good news!
Old 12-13-06, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Yes, finally a box set for Vampire in Brooklyn, Metro, Holy Man, and Bowfinger!
Old 12-13-06, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by rfduncan
I'd like that. And before a box set, how about they release Delirious?!?! Oh - I see it is finally being released on 2/6. Good news!
link?
Old 12-13-06, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by OutRun2
?
http://www.cbc.ca/arts/media/apologies.html (near middle of page)
Old 12-14-06, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by OutRun2
link?
Looked it up on IMDB and they had a link to Amazon.
Old 12-14-06, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by The Bus
Yes, finally a box set for Vampire in Brooklyn, Metro, Holy Man, and Bowfinger!
I liked Bowfinger.
Old 12-14-06, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by Randy Miller III
I liked Bowfinger.
I thought Bowfinger was a Universal release.
Old 12-14-06, 03:42 PM
Bye

Aside from the regular issues about his movies being from different studios, there's already been an Eddie Murphy boxed set. It was called "The Eddie Murphy Collection", and it contained BHC, T.P. and 48 Hrs. Only three films, but three of his best. There was also of course "The Complete Line-up" which contained all three BHC films. Until he does something else that's noteworthy (like BHC4 as was mentioned earlier), I doubt there will be any more Eddie boxed sets.

Oh yeah, I forgot. There was also another "Eddie Murphy Collection" that contained The Nutty Professor, TNP2, Bowfinger, and Life.

Last edited by Mike Adams; 12-14-06 at 03:45 PM.
Old 12-14-06, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Bowfinger is a comedy classic IMO, Holy Man was harmless fun, Metro is often compared to BHC, but that's not fair as it's a solid action vehicle with a great performance from Murphy and I loved the cat & mouse relationship between Murphy and Wincott which was predictable yet effective. Vampire In Brooklyn was ok as well, nothing that bad about those films and they always seem to get picked on.
Old 12-14-06, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Oh BTW, Pluto Nash deserves to get picked on, except for a few scenes that work (it's a Murphy movie and he always shines) alot of the material never lives up to it's intentions, it falls flat. Not the worst movie ever, but it could have been so much better.
Old 12-14-06, 04:34 PM
Bye

Originally Posted by dvd_luver
Oh BTW, Pluto Nash deserves to get picked on, except for a few scenes that work (it's a Murphy movie and he always shines) alot of the material never lives up to it's intentions, it falls flat. Not the worst movie ever, but it could have been so much better.
John Cleese in Pluto Nash was a nice surprise, although the material he was given was of course dreadful. That was about the only part of the movie I enjoyed, although the reveal of the villain was interesting.
Old 02-26-07, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

http://www.theimportforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=8010

http://www.theimportforums.com/viewt...er=asc&start=0
Old 02-27-07, 03:09 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Wow! I am so all over those if they are released on region 1 DVD! Trading Places and Coming To America are great movies! As for that Eddie box, maybe.