DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Will subspecies see the light of day?

Old 12-07-06, 11:56 AM

Will subspecies see the light of day?

Hail

As you all know the subspecies franchise IS owned by Full Moon, not Paramount. I found out that Paramount had a video distribution deal with Full Moon which ended in 1995. Paramount now only has the rights to show these titles on cable, sci-fi channel etc. So whats happening whith the UK or US boxset? I know The Epic Collection has been released in Australia but is apparently just a straight from VHS port that has poor sound and is generally full of flaws. This title deserves a decent quality release. Has anyone heard any rumours other than the Australian release?

Caw,Caw,Bang!F**K I'm Dead
Old 12-07-06, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

As you're a new member, let me just let you know that Search is your friend. There have already been a couple threads on this topic that have the information you're looking for.

SUBSPECIES: The Epic Collection -10/10/06

Subspecies: Epic Collection - 1/6/06

Alternately, just going to Full Moon's website would show that these are available for direct order there.
Old 12-07-06, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Originally Posted by Shagrath
As you're a new member, let me just let you know that Search is your friend. There have already been a couple threads on this topic that have the information you're looking for.

SUBSPECIES: The Epic Collection -10/10/06

Subspecies: Epic Collection - 1/6/06

Alternately, just going to Full Moon's website would show that these are available for direct order there.
You didn't read what he wrote

I know The Epic Collection has been released in Australia but is apparently just a straight from VHS port that has poor sound and is generally full of flaws. This title deserves a decent quality release. Has anyone heard any rumours other than the Australian release?
To answer his question, no. They got their rights back and it looks like they are just trying to put all their old stuff out at whatever quality is the easiest to produce.
Old 12-07-06, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

yah, Full Moon does not have a reputation for the best quality, so I assume that this is about as good as its going to get anytime soon.

I would think that if Full Moon was going to sink any money into remasters it would be for their puppet master series as its the cash cow. Though I am not sure what has become of those rights at this point.
Old 12-07-06, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Cameron
I would think that if Full Moon was going to sink any money into remasters it would be for their puppet master series as its the cash cow. Though I am not sure what has become of those rights at this point.
They have the rights back and all they managed to do with them is just start selling the box sets that they couldn't sell before.

What would be nice is if they had stuff shipped to stores so we wouldn't have to pay the high prices they charge for their stuff. I know a bunch of stores would end up discounting it so I could buy a bunch of it
Old 12-08-06, 07:46 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Mister Peepers
They have the rights back and all they managed to do with them is just start selling the box sets that they couldn't sell before.

What would be nice is if they had stuff shipped to stores so we wouldn't have to pay the high prices they charge for their stuff. I know a bunch of stores would end up discounting it so I could buy a bunch of it
FYI, I know that Amazon has listings for Dollman/Demonic Toys and uh.... I thought there was another one, but I can't find it. Anyway, hopefully that's a good sign. At least I can use my Amazon Visa gift certificates for it now
Old 12-08-06, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by Cameron
yah, Full Moon does not have a reputation for the best quality, so I assume that this is about as good as its going to get anytime soon.

The funny thing is that many of their LDs are really good and would be a better "master" than whatever they are using.
Old 12-08-06, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

i knew they had sold a batch of the old box sets earlier in the year, but last I checked that had dried up, and ebay prices are still fetching 100-130.

Can you order Puppet Master Box directly right Now?

edit...i checked the website and its back
Old 12-08-06, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by joltman
FYI, I know that Amazon has listings for Dollman/Demonic Toys and uh.... I thought there was another one, but I can't find it. Anyway, hopefully that's a good sign. At least I can use my Amazon Visa gift certificates for it now
Did you check the seller? It's them selling their stuff for the same price as the web site.

I bought that from their site earlier this year along with Subspecies. I had problems with them 2 out of the last 3 times I bought from them but they did what they could to make it right.

The first time was when they first started selling the Puppet Master set. I dumped mine on eBay and they said they sent one out but I never got it so they sent another one out a week or so later.

Then I tried to get the Dollman/Demonic Toys set and I never got a shipping notice and found out they never sent it so they sent me a Demonic Toys shirt.

Then I got Subspecies. You could say that was a problem in itself because of the quality.
Old 12-08-06, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm waiting for them to remaster the Pupper Master series. Not picking up a 100-dollar set of VHS-to-DVD transfers. These need to have extras, 5.1 sound, restored video, include all nine movies, etc. Such great fun movies and nothing...

Last edited by jmj713; 12-08-06 at 10:22 PM.
Old 12-09-06, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Did you check the seller? It's them selling their stuff for the same price as the web site.
From the linked page:
Ships from and sold by Amazon.com.
Under 'Used and New', Full Moon is selling it, but this is now direct from Amazon. And for what it's worth, it is a few bucks cheaper than their website.
Old 12-10-06, 03:15 PM

Well cheers for replying anyhoo guys(even if certain members always assume that the new guy is stupid)