Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Video Essentials Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-06, 09:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Video Essentials Question

Pardon me if this is in the wrong forum. I'm going to be buying a new HDTV soon and was looking to pick up a video essentials DVD. When looking at DDD there was the standard one and the HDD version coming out next week. Other then the fact that the HDD version seems to have HD-DVD version what's the difference? I don't have a HD-DVD player so I'm not sure if it's worth the extra $$$. Any insight would be appreciated.
Old 12-04-06, 09:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Uh, if you don't have an HD-DVD player, then you won't be able to watch an HD-DVD.
Old 12-04-06, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts
According to Amazon, the HD-DVD version is a combo disc. Apparently the HD DVD side will feature Dolby Digital Plus and TruHD tracks for audio calibration. As for wether the test patterns have been revised or new ones added, is unknown at this point. The Video Essentials site (http://www.videoessentials.com) has yet to add any specs for this release anywhere I can see.
Old 12-04-06, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts
Hmm..I didn't realize it's a combo.
"HD DVD/Standard DVD Combo Disc
Both SD and HD versions of DVE in one package "
If it's optimized for HDDVD, it might be worth selling my current version and upgrading.
If you're going to buy one anyway, and you might be interested in hDVD in the future, I'd say go ahead and get the HDDVD version--as long as it is a combo, and as long as the HD content is truly "HD".