Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Question re availability of new DVD's in US outlets (from UK subscriber)

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-06, 11:03 AM
JM1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

(I originally posted this on the Superman box set blunder post, but it seems to have gotten lost...)

Being based in UK, I am often at a loss to understand how the distribution of new DVD's in stores/outlets in the US works - I always see endless posts about availability of certain DVD's and was just curious...

Is it really that difficult to get hold of these DVD's in the US in stores? (I am based in UK)

I often see threads like this, about certain stores having none at all, and other only a handful. I have also known people drive to stores a couple of towns away.

Perhaps I am being naive here I know, I live near central London, but even local stores where I live and work such as Woolworths, W H Smith HMV record stores and even supermarket chains like Sainsburys will stock the latest DVD's.

Is this an issue specific to certain regions, States or parts of the country, apart from the big Mall stores like Walmart, Best Buy etc are there no other outlets that stock them?

If that's the case, is it not better to order online rather than scour these outlets in vain?

Like I say, I may be naive here, I am not that well travelled in the US apart from some of the main cities, so be gentle with me, huh?
Old 12-01-06, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Aside from catalog or smaller titles, most big studio releases should be available in a variety of places. I've never had any problem finding a major release in a store, anyways. I think also, a store like Best Buy or WalMart will get paid by a studio to get behind a certain release, and they'll put that release everywhere in the store and on the new release shelves, which will of course cause some smaller titles to lose the shelf space they might otherwise have. I remember when the first season of Desperate Housewives was released, the local Best Buy only had that on their new release shelves. I couldn't find anything else at that store that week and had to go somewhere else. I live in a large city, though. Someone in a small town might be at a total loss that week.
Old 12-02-06, 12:11 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
In the case of the Superman set, some retailers probably underestimated the demand and didn't order enough for release day.

Also, stores that do not carry a lot of dvds (grocery stores, drugstores) rarely stock box sets, and since they are usually more expensive than the big box stores anyway, DVDTalkers rarely shop there.