Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Is everyone giving up on DVD?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-06, 01:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is everyone giving up on DVD?

It seems to me everyone is planning selling there dvd's to invest in HD formats.
This really bugs me, as I dont own 1 HD OR BR Disc yet, and wont until mid 2007.. I recently sold over 200 dvds, not because of the above reasons but just to fund other hobbys.

Surely the guys on here with 500+ dvds dont plan on stopping collecting now?

Full march ahead I say, HD DVD, Blu-Ray, and more dvds here I come!
Old 11-30-06, 01:48 PM

I'm holding off on HD until the format war settles itself. I'm not going to invest in the wrong format. Plus, I'll wait until prices come down. I don't even have an HDTV yet. I'm a die hard movie fan, but I'm not a die hard when it comes to home video technology.

I think the majority of consumers share a similar viewpoint.
Old 11-30-06, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not me! I don't own any HD or BR discs, and at this point, don't plan to.

Rob
Old 11-30-06, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by RobCA
Not me! I don't own any HD or BR discs, and at this point, don't plan to.Rob
Same here. Sticking with DVD, no interest in HD, BR, etc.
Old 11-30-06, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by bodomnet
It seems to me everyone is planning selling there dvd's to invest in HD formats.
This really bugs me, as I dont own 1 HD OR BR Disc yet, and wont until mid 2007.. I recently sold over 200 dvds, not because of the above reasons but just to fund other hobbys.

Surely the guys on here with 500+ dvds dont plan on stopping collecting now?

Full march ahead I say, HD DVD, Blu-Ray, and more dvds here I come!
Everyone? Surely a gross overstatement.

Even in your post you are somehow planning to purchase the next format while seeming to not believe in it.

As for me, I sit in my theater and enjoy the dvd's that I own. I recently added an Oppo upconverting player and I am gladly going to to sit out the format war.

My time frame is 3-5 years from now when I will likely want to upgrade my projector.

Last edited by Brian Shannon; 11-30-06 at 01:56 PM.
Old 11-30-06, 01:53 PM

I'm holding off on HD as well. Although it is getting hard not to look at HD-DVD/Blu-Ray. As far as my DVD buying its actually increased lately, and I have no plans to get rid of any of my collection.
Old 11-30-06, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm waiting for prices on players and software to come down. Plus, some of the old tv shows in 4x3 probably won't be released in HD or Blue Ray, so I'll at least be keeping those. It doesn't make sense that there are 2 formats just like VHS and Beta. I foresee a player that will play both formats.
Old 11-30-06, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 276 Likes on 172 Posts
<--no HD tv. Therefore, no HD discs.
Old 11-30-06, 01:55 PM
Banned

Until A L I E N is released in HD, I will not buy. When I do start buying HD, will I replace All of my DVD's with HD, doubt it.
Old 11-30-06, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 95 Likes on 77 Posts
nah,currently enjoying my upconverting SD DVD player. I think the biggest reason for me holding out is that i haven't find much titles of substance for me to must-own yet on the next gen formats.
Old 11-30-06, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

My DVD buying had nearly slowed to a halt due to financial reasons a few months back, but I just got into HD and now I pretty much am done with standard DVD unless there is an absolute must have that isn't coming out on HD (for example POTC 2...) - otherwise I'll just wait until it does come to HD... I get excited for HD stuff now and plan to move ahead with that like I used to for standard DVDS, but my excitement over standard DVD is pretty much over... (but it's not like I'm going to sell off the 1300 standard DVDs I own)

Last edited by mdc3000; 12-01-06 at 09:51 AM.
Old 11-30-06, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts
No way in hell I'm selling off my thousands of dollars of DVD's for HD or Blue Ray.
Old 11-30-06, 02:07 PM

I have about 180-some DVDs. Not giving up. Being selective in what I buy and what I pay. No interest in HD or BluRay at this point. Prices for players too high, early reports on quality were bad, and I have nearly all of the movies that "mean something" to me on DVD.

I'm happy with what I've got.

I still have a standard TV. Probably won't be a year or two until I invest in a widescreen, HD setup.
Old 11-30-06, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

New releases will be purchased in high-def, but my dvd collection isn't going anywhere. This thread should have plenty of defensive posts.
Old 11-30-06, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I try to limit my spending on DVDs to (on average) $5-$8 per title if possible. Lately, with the Google Checkout deal, I've able to pick up a few HD DVDs for $15-16 each, or around $13-$14 each depending on the titles. The bump in quality almost justifies it (especially of the standard DVD has not-so-hot video quality, like Superman Returns, while its HD DVD version is much better reviewed).
Old 11-30-06, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm not buying many dvds these days, but that's mostly due to the fact that I own pretty much everything I want. I am not buying any HD/BR discs or players until there is only one format. Also, waiting lets everything come down in price as well (this concerns the players more than the movies themselves, which are actually reasonably priced).
Old 11-30-06, 02:15 PM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'll keep my current movies I have on DVD. But will wait until the war is over, don't want to invest a discounted format.
Old 11-30-06, 02:28 PM
Bye

Like many others, not having an HD-capable TV makes it pointless for me to invest in a new format just for the sake of resolution I can't display. However, if I had the cash, I'd be picking up a PS3 and buying Blu-ray discs. I predict that both formats will tank just like Laserdisc, but it's always nice to have the best possible quality. As for my standard DVDs, they won't be going anywhere for a looong time. Whether it's DVD, Laserdisc, VHS, Beta, or even CED, there's always gonna be SOMETHING that you can't get on a newer format, and therefore I'll be hanging onto the originals well into the future. I'm in the process of transferring all the analog material to DVD, but of course there's no reason to transfer DVDs to BD-R, because the players will also play standard DVDs.
Old 11-30-06, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts
<---- Giving the obligatory "Not until one format is settled upon" statement.

I've always felt this whole fiasco is nothing more than a completely unnecessary '80s VHS vs Betamax format war redux. To me, there's no point investing money in [INSERT FORMAT X HERE], which could be nonexistent within six months. But on the other, I completely understand the motives of those who are investing in it for all the obvious reasons. And it's because of their willingness to gamble on this emerging technology that's it's able to progress further in the first place.

Regardless if what I just said made any sense whatsoever, I'm going to hold off on the new formats and continue buying SD DVDs just as I always have.
Old 11-30-06, 02:58 PM

Give up on DVD? No way in hell. Sure, I've just bought a high-def Dell monitor (well, I think it is...), but I have a small collection, but I've put a lot into it. I would only if: 1. There is one lasting High Def format. 2. Everything I have is released in high def, which I highly DOUBT. Rock and Rule? yeah, right. Star Wars un-shat-upon trilogy? Yeah, and I'm fuckin' Santa Claus.
Old 11-30-06, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
I'm perfectly happy with my dvd collection, and don't plan on upgrading to a new format until I have no other option. As far as purchasing standard dvds, I've become a smarter shopper,and buying a film that's not important to me just for the wow factor has thankfully worn off.
Old 11-30-06, 03:00 PM

Im switching to hd-dvd, ive nearly stopped on buying "old"dvd's
Old 11-30-06, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't see myself dumping my DVD collection even if/when I do migrate to an HD format. I also don't see myself buying any HD format discs for at least another year or two.
Old 11-30-06, 03:07 PM

I have no interest in HD DVDs or Blu-Ray. I own too many DVDs for to replace them and the high definition quality just isn't a big deal to me. I mean VHS quality still doesn't even bother me.
Old 11-30-06, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't have a HD television in my home, and there won't be for many years, so NO I am not giving up on DVD anytime soon.

I'm not all that interested in it anyway.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.