Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Why is Everyone so Excited About the Superman Set?

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 11-26-06, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

The deluxe Superman dvd set comes out this week retailing around $70 bucks or more. Honestly, why would anyone want to drop this kind of change on a lousy movie series? Superman I and II were good flicks, but III and IV stand as some of the worst reviewed movies in history. I would not pay good money for such crap films. The rest of the set sounds good, but definitely overpriced.
Old 11-26-06, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by dvdjunkie32
Superman I and II were good flicks, but III and IV stand as some of the worst reviewed movies in history.
I prefer to go with my own tastes, rather than how well a movie is reviewed. I'll give you IV, but personally, I really enjoyed Superman III, and couldn't care less whether reviewers liked it or not. But then again, I liked Batman and Robin too. Anyway, I had been planning to get this set, but won't be, now that I've heard that they screwed up the Superman III discs. I guess I should be glad they did that; they saved me a lot of money!

Rob

Last edited by RobCA; 11-26-06 at 04:09 PM.
Old 11-26-06, 04:34 PM
En vacance

Superman III is my favorite Supes film. I and II may be better made films but i enjoy III the most. It has my favorite moment of the Supes series period, the junkyard fight, all the stuff w/ Evil Supes is gold, i like Lana over Lois, my favorite interpretation of Clark as well (not to mention Reeve is at his physical prime here), more down-to-earth premise (a nice change of pace from all the epic Lex-Krypton stuff) with the Brainiac supercomputer (great effects w/ the Kryptonite Ray & creepy psycho robot lady) and Pryor did have funny bits. I made a thread on this in movie talk.

I love Supes I and II obviously too. IV is a piece of low-budget cheese. don't care for the shallow action figure Singerman Returns.
In my mind the first three Reeve's make up a nice trilogy.
Old 11-26-06, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: In a small pocket universe hoping to someday become a Moderator Emeritus at DVDTalk.com!
I plan on getting it mostly for the sheer volume of talent that was involved. Being a long time comic book fan, I clearly remember how the news of the first Superman movie took the world by storm and shook it it did.

True, there was a large dud in the series at the end but the first two films were GRAND entertainment to the young lad that I was and for the most part I enjoyed part III although at the time I was completely unaware of who Richard Pryor was and was to become. Since I jumped into stand up myself shortly thereafter, I often wondered why Pryor took the role. It would be many years later that I would learn what happened to this comic genuis / maverick who left this world much too early.

Back on topic, Superman is one of; if not THE biggest; American icons around. And the idea of being a hero of a super sort certainly danced around in my head during my youth.
Old 11-26-06, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The deluxe Superman dvd set comes out this week retailing around $70 bucks or more. Honestly, why would anyone want to drop this kind of change on a lousy movie series? Superman I and II were good flicks, but III and IV stand as some of the worst reviewed movies in history. I would not pay good money for such crap films. The rest of the set sounds good, but definitely overpriced.
Superman III and IV are not masterpieces of filmmaking, this is true, but both are entertaining in the same vein as Batman & Robin. To me, anyway.

I don't dismiss 14 discs, the vast majority of which sound amazing, when only two of them contain content that's less than great. I'm excited about the whole thing, including III and IV.

--THX
Old 11-26-06, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I remember a lot of people including myself excited about the Friday the 13th collection, and those are definitely some of the worst-reviewed movies ever. But there's a cult following and a market for it.
Old 11-26-06, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

also don't count out the cartoons, in possibly the best ever mastering for the series, plus the black & white movie, and gobs of extras for superman fans
Old 11-26-06, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 371 Likes on 265 Posts
Why are people excited about a ton of movies and features for about $5 a disc? Do some questions need to be asked?
Old 11-26-06, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

i am super excited about this..but i can hold off until a price-drop
Old 11-26-06, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts
Getting excited now that I'm hearing more about it. I've got S1, 2, 3, and no interest in 4, and while there's lots of extras including some I wouldn't watch, there are also plenty I would watch. I'm just trying to figure which is the 'best' configuration, between single releases, Reeve collection, Ultimate, and HD...probably the Ultimate, considering dollar/value.
Old 11-26-06, 07:29 PM

I would not pay good money for such crap films.
Thanks for your opinion....but the need to announce that is sorta weird. Just like with anything....some will like it...some won't. Personally, I don't really put that much effort into giving a shit what anyone else does. Nothing but gems in your collection, I suppose?

Honestly, why would anyone want to drop this kind of change on a lousy movie series?
Honestly, why is this thread not closed yet. It's pointless and on the edge of the crapping line.
Old 11-26-06, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts
Because I want to.
Old 11-26-06, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by stingermck
Because I want to.
well put and i agree. too bad i have to put it on the xmas list or my mom might not have any presents for me, haha.
Old 11-26-06, 07:44 PM

Thanks for giving your opinion even though no one asked for it. The Superman Ultimate Set is a fantastic deal and even though I will probably never watch 3 or 4, the price I paid is less that what I would have paid for just 1 and both Superman 2s separately.
Old 11-26-06, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by stingermck
Because I want to.

Pretty much sums it up for me as well.
Old 11-26-06, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts
14 discs for $70 bucks is too expensive? What about when the Star Wars Special Edition box set came out back in 2003? I recall it was around $50 bucks for 4 discs. I didn't recall anyone saying how expensive that set was. That came out to around $12.50 per disc.
Old 11-26-06, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,299 Likes on 943 Posts
The deluxe Superman dvd set comes out this week retailing around $70 bucks or more.
If you check the Bargains Forum it can had for around $50.
Old 11-26-06, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
$50 is great for 14 discs. I wanted the theatrical superman the movie, the donner cut #2, and superman returns 2-disc. Works out to be about the same to get the big set. I don't know if this will meet Alien Quadrilogy status but should still be a good set.
Old 11-26-06, 09:52 PM

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by waylonsmithers
Thanks for giving your opinion even though no one asked for it. The Superman Ultimate Set is a fantastic deal and even though I will probably never watch 3 or 4, the price I paid is less that what I would have paid for just 1 and both Superman 2s separately.

I didn't ask for your opinion either. If you want to pay $70 bucks for 2 movies, go ahead.
Old 11-26-06, 09:56 PM

Has anyone recieved their set yet? It seems there has been a bit of a mix-up. Link: Super Blunder

Those in the US will be able to ask for replacements but intl. customers like me are screwed. Good thing I was informed of the news. Managed to cancel my order before amazon shipped it.

And of course, there is already a thread discussing the issue. 3 pages as well. My bad. Sorry.

Last edited by DataZak; 11-26-06 at 09:59 PM.
Old 11-26-06, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,189 Likes on 2,057 Posts
I didn't ask for your opinion either.
Yes you did. When you created a thread asking "why is everyone so excited about the superman set?".

Last edited by GoldenJCJ; 11-26-06 at 10:20 PM.
Old 11-26-06, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by CertifiedTHX
Superman III and IV are not masterpieces of filmmaking, this is true, but both are entertaining in the same vein as Batman & Robin. To me, anyway.

I don't dismiss 14 discs, the vast majority of which sound amazing, when only two of them contain content that's less than great. I'm excited about the whole thing, including III and IV.

--THX
Well said, and exactly the point I was going to make.
Old 11-26-06, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I didn't ask for your opinion either. If you want to pay $70 bucks for 2 movies, go ahead.
Yes, everyone is paying $70 for 2 movies

Superman
Superman II
Superman III
Superman IV
Superman Returns
Superman II: The Donner Cut

Yep that's only 2 movies, good counting. You go buy 1 and 2, the rest of us will enjoy the boxset.
Old 11-26-06, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Everyone is so excited because it's a well put together set. I don't understand the Superman love either. I never liked any of the movies but to each his own. $5 per disc is great if you're gonna watch them all. It's not like you're getting 14 different movies. This is more a question of taste more than anything.

And I'm not excited. I'll get excited the day Paramount releases The African Queen. Until then, adrios.
Old 11-26-06, 10:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by TheNightFlier
Yes, everyone is paying $70 for 2 movies

Superman
Superman II
Superman III
Superman IV
Superman Returns
Superman II: The Donner Cut

Yep that's only 2 movies, good counting. You go buy 1 and 2, the rest of us will enjoy the boxset.
Didn't you forget the with Superman vs the Mole People or something like that? I think the set is reasonably priced and I liked the Superman series. I will buy it.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.