Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Th Wicker Man (1973, 4th release) ----> 12/19/06

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-06, 04:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Johnny Zhivago
Pass, the wooden box is good enough for me... I dig it. No interest in a new commentary. But...

for those who missed out on the box.

Unless, of course, these are new remasters... Then I might bite. Wait and see.
Same here. I have the wooden box, and unless they announce a remaster that extends the movie without the noticeable wear and tear of the film which is obvious when viewed in extended form I'll pass. Its way to annoying for me and when I watch, I only watch the U.S version. Its just not worth it for a commentary.
Old 10-30-06, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Okay, could omeone take a moment to explain which version is on which DVD? I own a VHS copy that has a 101 minute running time. I'd like to upgrade to DVD, but every version I've seen has been the 'edited' edition.
Old 10-31-06, 12:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,743 Likes on 1,889 Posts
I don't think the extended cut will ever look better than it does now.

The only surviving elements of the additional footage were of poor quality (videotape, I believe?) so that's as good as it's going to look for the time being.
Old 10-31-06, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

101 mins (NTSC?) = the Extended Cut (really DC) - I think so anyway. The DC is 101/2m NTSC I'm sure.
Old 10-31-06, 05:28 PM

press release
Old 11-02-06, 07:29 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Pre-order at amazon: $13.99

http://www.amazon.com/Wicker-Man-2pc...?ie=UTF8&s=dvd
Old 11-03-06, 12:11 PM

Location: Northern New Jersey...or as we say it "Sopranos Country USA"
I checked out DVD Compare (http://dvdcompare.net/comparisons/film.php?fid=1530) and the extended cut and the director's cut are the same.

This new release looks like a re-release of the wooden box set (here are the specs for the original wooden box):

R1 LE America - (Anchor Bay) Extras: DISC ONE - "Theatrical Version"
*The Film ("Theatrical Version")
"The Wicker Man Enigma" documentary (35mins)
Theatrical Trailer (2mins)
TV Spot (1min)
Radio Spots (5mins)
Talent Biographies:
- Christopher Lee (21pages)
- Edward Woodward (18pages)
- Robin Hardy (14pages)
- Anthony Shaffer (19pages)

DISC TWO - "Extended Version"
*The Film ("Extended Version" ("Director's Cut") - with 12mins of Additional Rare Footage)

Subtitles:No

Picture format:1.85:1 Anamorphic NTSC

Soundtrack(s):English Dolby Digital 5.1 ("Theatrical Version" ONLY)
English Dolby Digital 2.0 Mono ("Extended Version" ("Director's Cut") ONLY)

Case type:Special

CaseNotes:This is an LE featuring the new "Extended Version" ("Director's Cut") and packaged in a Wooden Box.

Easter eggs:On Disc One select the "Extras" Menu Entry. On the next screen then highlight "The Wicker Man Enigma" and then press [Up]. This will highlight a large Question Mark on the screen and if you press [Enter] now, you will be treated to an Interview With Christopher Lee ("Critic's Choice") (25mins).
Old 11-03-06, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by macnorton
This new release looks like a re-release of the wooden box set (here are the specs for the original wooden box):
The LE wooden box does not have the commentary. That was previously only available in Region 2.
Old 11-03-06, 01:23 PM

Location: Northern New Jersey...or as we say it "Sopranos Country USA"
Yes but it is the same content...plus the commentary
Old 12-19-06, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Picked up my copy this morning. Certainly can't beat the $14 pricetag. Film looks great, and the extras are interesting (only listened to snippets of the commentary, but it sounds like its gonna be a treat.

My only real worry is that it looks like its been cropped to fit the widescreen format. Comparing it to my washed out old VHS copy there's definately quite a bit missign from the top and bottom of the screen. I hope its just because it was an open matte print, and that the studio didn't screw around with it. Anyone have any info?

Last edited by Panda Phil; 12-20-06 at 12:49 AM.
Old 12-19-06, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
Was it originally open matte? How does it compare to the version in the wood box in terms of aspect ratio?
Old 12-21-06, 01:05 AM

ive seen the movie.....it's a great cult movie...........and could have been a better release, if they have digitally remastered it and added some sub titles................ hope that they will release a definitive edition someday where the video is comparable to new dvd releases,pristine and very clear, with the advent of new technology.......plus anchor bay! when will you ever have sub titles on your dvds???????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-21-06, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by uebetan12@yahoo
ive seen the movie.....it's a great cult movie...........and could have been a better release, if they have digitally remastered it and added some sub titles................ hope that they will release a definitive edition someday where the video is comparable to new dvd releases,pristine and very clear, with the advent of new technology.......plus anchor bay! when will you ever have sub titles on your dvds???????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The lack of subtitles is a fair complaint. I've been wishing that AB would supply them for years.

However, the film is never going to look much better than it does on AB's release -- for the simple reason that the negative no longer exists for the extended cut. Did you not watch the documentary about the making of the film? The extended cut was recreated largely from a tape, hence the vastly inferior quality. Very little digital remastering can make a film look "pristine and very clear" when the source material is so compromised.

On the other hand, however, I find that the original cut (and the sections from the original cut that were used in the extended cut) actually looks pretty good for an inexpensive British film from the 1970s. It has the same graininess I associate with films from that period, but it's not significantly worse than, say, the prints of Blood on Satan's Claw that I've seen.
Old 12-21-06, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It's still a vast improvement over the washed out VHS copy I'd been forced to watch all these years.

The audio was certainly better. I realized there were lines in the film I'd been misunderstanding since I first watched the film.

Last edited by Panda Phil; 12-21-06 at 06:49 PM.
Old 12-21-06, 04:06 PM

The AR is 1.85 on the DVD.

Tech specs at IMDB list the OAR at 1.37 "negative ratio" and 1.66 "intended ratio"

So is 1.85 going to be a cropped image? To me that's just as bad as pan&scan. Seems to me the top and bottom would have to be cropped to make 1.85.

If the OAR was 1.66, that's how it ought to be shown.