DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Sticker Residue

Old 10-16-06, 12:32 PM

Sticker Residue

I just started collecting the Walt Disney Treasures tins, and when I removed the seals from one of the tins it left the sticker residue. I tried to use the sticker itself to remove it, but it didn't work. Anyone have any suggestions as to what to do?

I tried nail polish remover, but even that wasn't working so well. I'm sure I'm not the only person who's had this problem or is this anal about having clean packaging. Any tips would be appreciated.
Old 10-16-06, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Goo-Gone...works like a charm
Old 10-16-06, 12:46 PM

Thanks. I'll pick some up.
Old 10-16-06, 01:08 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Sabrett
Goo-Gone...works like a charm

Ditto. It cleans and helps take out all that glue residue of those damn stickers.
Old 10-16-06, 01:47 PM

Does Goo-Gone work on the cardboard sleeves that come with so many new releases?
Old 10-16-06, 02:13 PM

WD-40 also works well, including on cardboard sleeves.
Old 10-16-06, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Become a real collector and leave them unopened on the shelf.
Old 10-16-06, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Jediturtle
WD-40 also works well, including on cardboard sleeves.
I use Wd-40 also. Works great.
Old 10-16-06, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by goosh
Does Goo-Gone work on the cardboard sleeves that come with so many new releases?
Yeah, I just put some on toilet paper and then rub it accross back and forth until its gone. Works fine without messing up cardboard. I wouldn't recommend leaving the goo gone on the cardboard since it might soak in.
Old 10-16-06, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by cdollaz
Become a real collector and leave them unopened on the shelf.
Sounds like 90% of my dvds haha.
Old 10-16-06, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by MEJHarrison
I use Wd-40 also. Works great.
Goo-Gone smells way better, though. WD-40 isn't without it's charms, either. I'd say buy both, mix, sniff, and forget why you had them out in the first place.

Both work well.

cheers,

-the Jesus
Old 10-16-06, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

So what am I doing wrong with applying Goo Gone? The two times I've tried it, it's ruined the cases I've used it on, and left quite a bit of sticker as well.
Old 10-16-06, 10:59 PM

spray some wd40 on a napkin and rub it and it should come off.. It always works for me.
Old 10-16-06, 11:31 PM
Bye

The thing about Goo-Gone is that it just *breaks down* the goo. You need to apply enough to keep it liquid, otherwise you're just wiping off the top layer of goo and once the goo thins out, it gets sticky again. Make sure you scrape off all you can with a credit card or something that's not gonna scratch, then apply more Goo-Gone until it dries clean. If the paper part of the sticker is still there when you start, you need to soak that with Goo-Gone until it peels off easily -- doesn't take much. It should be a pretty intuitive process, but if you're new at this it might take a while to figure out what you're supposed to do to achieve good results.

As for WD-40, if you want your DVDs to smell like toolshed, go right ahead.
Old 10-16-06, 11:35 PM
Bye

I forgot to mention to not EVER let Goo-Gone soak into paper or cardboard that you plan to keep, because it will discolor it and it will probably never be the same again. If a sticker comes off TOO easily, it sometimes means the UV coating on a cardboard slipcase has come off with it, and if you apply Goo-Gone, it's gonna soak into the unprotected cardboard. You'll want to remove any artwork from Amaray cases before working with Goo-Gone, and if you must use it on cardboard or paper, do NOT let it run to the edge or anywhere it can soak in.

On the WD-40 thing again, Goo-Gone is basically just citrus oil, whereas WD-40 is a petroleum product (as is lighter fluid). Make your choice, but do it wisely.

Last edited by Mike Adams; 10-16-06 at 11:38 PM.
Old 10-17-06, 07:30 AM

Lighter fluid for Zippo lighters. There are a few brands. It'll usually state "contains naphtha" on the bottle. Amazing stuff and won't damage paper things.
Old 10-17-06, 08:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yep, goo-gone works great. I have so many unopened discs lying around for years and when I go to open them the glue always stays behind in clumps. If you don't take it off the cases stick to the adjacent ones. Annoying.
Old 10-17-06, 08:55 AM

what stickers?
unless its a shop price sticker then you should leave it alone. where possible i leave the dvds in the shrinkwrap. there is no need to remove any stickers.
i've had a few old videos where theyve had nasty stickers. i just gently keep it wet and rub until most of its gone. i really cant see the problem????
Old 10-17-06, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Mike Adams
I only use WD-40 on plastic. I've not tried it on paper/cardboard yet and probably never will. It does have a distinctive smell, but the smell doesn't linger. I keep my DVDs in a closed cabinet and there's no foul smell in there.

I have nothing against Goo Gone, but I already have WD-40 out in the garage. Seem pointless to spend money on another product when I already have one that works just fine.
Old 10-17-06, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by EddieN
Lighter fluid for Zippo lighters. There are a few brands. It'll usually state "contains naphtha" on the bottle. Amazing stuff and won't damage paper things.
Any liquid will damage paper. It's only safe if the paper has a heavy gloss coating (like a lot of slip covers do). But if you're trying to get sticky off of the actual paper cover, I wouldn't recommend using any liquid on it. In that case your best bet is to try gently rubbing it away with your fingers.
Old 10-17-06, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Mike Adams
The thing about Goo-Gone is that it just *breaks down* the goo. You need to apply enough to keep it liquid, otherwise you're just wiping off the top layer of goo and once the goo thins out, it gets sticky again. Make sure you scrape off all you can with a credit card or something that's not gonna scratch, then apply more Goo-Gone until it dries clean. If the paper part of the sticker is still there when you start, you need to soak that with Goo-Gone until it peels off easily -- doesn't take much. It should be a pretty intuitive process, but if you're new at this it might take a while to figure out what you're supposed to do to achieve good results.

So basically, I need to soak it with Goo-Gone and let it dry before rubbing the sticker off?

How long should I let it sit for before rubbing?
Old 10-18-06, 12:14 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I still prefer peanut butter, and it smells good.
Old 10-18-06, 06:39 AM

just lick your fingers!! gently rub the residue off. but never scratch at it as that will leave some mark. if it's a seal sticker it may be better to just cut it rather than try and remove it and leave residue. only in amercia would you buy something that gets rid of sticker residue.
Old 10-18-06, 12:42 PM

I second the recommendation for lighter fluid (not charcoal lighter fluid but the kind you put in wick type lighters that contains naphtha). It gets off just about any kind of sticker or adhesive residue and usually won't stain the paper underneath. I've used it for years on DVD and CD cases as well as book covers and it works better than anything else. Goo Gone and WD-40 are oil-based and will leave stains on paper and may leave an oily residue on anything plastic.
Old 10-18-06, 01:27 PM

I did not have anything else so I used plain old gasoline for one my tins

It worked perfectly... had to use soap afterwards to get out the smell though :P

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.