Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Peter Pan : Platinum Edition ----> 3/6/2007

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-07, 10:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wewantflair
Anyone who can't see that this version is just wrong is blind. Whether you choose to buy it anyway is a different story. I passed on this release thanks to Mr. Racine. Thanks for not letting yourself get bullied.
I don't know why people feel the need to be so hostile about things like this. To my eyes it's a gorgeous transfer, and I had a blast watching it. Pretty sure my eyes work just fine.
Old 03-27-07, 08:22 AM
Suspended

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
DVD Savant wrote (about the latest 007 transfers):
I've been told that the people at Eon overseeing these transfers simply decided they didn't like the way the old films looked and wanted them all changed, right down to specific subjective decisions about color.
I think the same holds true for DTS Digital Images. They simply don't give a hoot for what the film originally looked like. They're just following fashion trends and pushing bright, shiny buttons on their console. This is sad because it means there is nobody left in power, or even as a consultant, at Disney who remembers the good old days and cares for what a film should look like and used to look like.

My personal memory of seeing this film in a theatre in 1958 and subsequent times since is that the colours were so saturated they jumped at you and that the whole film was so dark and indigo blue, the words "grimy" and "greasy" actually came to mind. And, of course, the Red Men were red and Peter was wearing green all through to the end of the film, and Mermaid Lagoon didn't look like a sex education prop about female reproductive organs...
Old 03-27-07, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by kingtopher
I don't know why people feel the need to be so hostile about things like this. To my eyes it's a gorgeous transfer, and I had a blast watching it. Pretty sure my eyes work just fine.
I was pretty much going to say the same thing. I voiced, as well as others who don't carry the popular opinion, that this transfer looked pretty good. I mean, I still think the old color scheme was much more brilliant. It was a tad over-saturated on prior releases in my opinion, but the original color scheme in general was better. With that being said, watching this film on my HDTV on my Oppo... the picture didn't look bad. In comparison to the old release the picture looks sharper but it looks pretty damn good while viewing.

It's an opinion I know is against the grain, and I also can empathize with how the restoration process just went horribly wrong. When people start to say more than 'let's make it look as clean and sharp and magnificent as we can' and start saying 'how can we change it to make it look better otherwise', there's a problem. I don't agree with this. But... what can you do? Keep your old discs, or don't. I didn't own the old one, so this one is good enough for me.
Old 03-28-07, 05:27 AM
Suspended

The problem is not with the restoration (photochemical restoration of the film elements), which is optimal, as can be seen on the 2002 tansfer. The problem is with the digital transfer of the 2007 edition. And you are not in the minority. The MAJORITY of the online critics LIKE the new transfer and didn't notice anything wrong with the colours. That's what's sad, IMHO. We now have a generation of critics - and digital restorers, and consumers, and copyright owners - who can't tell the difference and don't care what the original film looked like.

Anyway, keep watching this space. Gary Tooze of DVD Beaver has written:

2007-03-25 17:03

Thanks Benoit !

I'll do our best to get on it...

Cheers,
Gary
P.S.: I was just watching the excellent transfer of Oscar-winning Happy Feet, which is a mostly-blue film, trying to imagine how some dickhead might want to make an all-yellow transfer of it 40 years from now when the icecaps have melted and they don't have a point of reference... Yellow snow, anyone?

Last edited by baracine; 03-28-07 at 06:19 AM.
Old 03-28-07, 06:10 AM

Originally Posted by baracine
My personal memory of seeing this film in a theatre in 1958 and subsequent times since is that the colours were so saturated they jumped at you and that the whole film was so dark and indigo blue, the words "grimy" and "greasy" actually came to mind. And, of course, the Red Men were red and Peter was wearing green all through to the end of the film, and Mermaid Lagoon didn't look like a sex education prop about female reproductive organs...
Sorry but there is NO WAY..that you remember the colors in the theater in 1958. NONE, ZERO....and that goes for anyone who tries to make that claim. That might be what you remember on the VHS, LD etc...but not the theater in 1958. So who is to say what colors are correct. Who is to say that they had it wrong the whole time for home viewing? If anyone can prove what it looked like in the theater in the 1950's then I will change my tune.......I watched both DVD's last night on my awesome system and the plat was hands down better.
Old 03-28-07, 06:37 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by flyboy
Sorry but there is NO WAY..that you remember the colors in the theater in 1958. NONE, ZERO....and that goes for anyone who tries to make that claim. That might be what you remember on the VHS, LD etc...but not the theater in 1958. So who is to say what colors are correct. Who is to say that they had it wrong the whole time for home viewing? If anyone can prove what it looked like in the theater in the 1950's then I will change my tune.......I watched both DVD's last night on my awesome system and the plat was hands down better.
Well, since you don't remember it, I don't think that's any reference in itself, do you? You can always go back to (1) the two preceding transfers - which got the colours right according to the carefully-preserved Technicolor dye-transfer sample timing prints, (2) the original artwork, ample examples of which appear in these pages, and (3) the untold hundreds of pieces of merchandising of the original film, from Kodachrome 3-D View-Master reels to plush dolls (for Peter's costume). If that's not enough, the Museum of Fine Arts in Montreal (Quebec) has a huge Disney exhibition on until June 2007, where some of Peter Pan's original hand-painted cels and backgrounds are on display: http://www.radio-canada.ca/arts-spec...WaltDisney.asp .

Also please remember that almost all of the film excerpts used in the Platinum Edition making-of documentaries and even the trailers on the Disney website are based on the previous transfers and the previous (real) colours. If they had put real excerpts of the washed-out Platinum Edition on the trailers, they wouldn't have sold a single copy.

Except for its remastered sound - which is really astonishing - the Platinum Edition is the kind of DVD transfer you could expect from the science-fiction society depicted in the film Idiocracy...

Last edited by baracine; 03-29-07 at 07:27 AM.
Old 03-29-07, 10:10 PM

Baracine - we get it...we GET it... WE GET it...WE GET IT! You don't like the restoration, or whatever you want to call it. Some of us like it, some of us don't. I doubt Disney is going to re-un-restore it just for you. Dude, let it go. You beat the horse, and beat it, and beat it, and beat it, and beat it, and beat it. Just let it go. Enjoy the Special Edition and let the rest of us enjoy the Platinum Edition. And before you start, yes I will always watch it now and wonder if the colors are off. Thank you for repeatedly beating that into our heads. I am glad you have a photographic memory from 1953 and remember the colors exactly how they were suppose to be and how the vhs, laser and earlier dvd incarnations were more represented of the original color scheme and never taking into account that with video that the colors may or may not have been manipulated for earlier video releases and that prior film re-releases may have been manipuilated due to repeated showings on a filmstrip. And yes film cels and serigraphs may have different colors that look good on a living room wall and vary from the intended movie artwork that was shown through a projector whether in New York or San Francisco in 1953, 1964, 1973, 0r whenever. We get it. You don't like it. Let the rest of us enjoy it...be it the original release, special edition or platinum edition...in peace. WE GET IT! Let the horse die in peace.
Old 03-29-07, 10:41 PM

I agree with the last poster...make it stop already, if you don't like it, there's no need for you to buy it, just go ahead and say the same thing about most of the remastering done with movies in the 50s, 60s, 70s...guess we'll hear back from you on EVERY single one, because you know what, they all seem to have this Yellowish tint..have a great day
Old 03-29-07, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
The above two posts are just wrong, for several reasons:

1) We talk about DVDs at DVD Talk. Duh.
2) We are movies fans
3) ANY true movie fan should INSIST that movies are presented as INTENDED not as PREFERED
4) Just because YOU think you are right does not mean that you are.
5) Just because YOU don't care doesn't mean others do not
6) Every time you support a studio who bastardizes the original presentation of a movie, you give them the ammo to continue to do so
7) When every release, every cell, every picture, every description, every interpretation of a character shows one thing, and the PE shows another, at what point do you realize "hey, I'm probably wrong about this"?

Last edited by DVD Josh; 03-30-07 at 06:32 AM.
Old 03-29-07, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

here here...give em hell baracine
Old 03-30-07, 06:04 AM
Suspended

DaViD (sic) Boulet, the reviewer who had me expelled from the Home Theater Forum, responded to a message I left for him telling him to check out www.dvdsavant.com. This is his private message [my corrections in brackets]:

Nice to see him make folks aware of the color differences, but without any verification he just blindly assumes that the color in the 2002 version is correct and the new version to be incorrect. Without cooberation [corroboration] by any industry persons with familiarity with the original film cells [cels] and intended look of the print/projection, these are just specious assumptions and not scholarly fact. That's been my point in the thread. I fail to see how such as simple and balanced viewpoint is perpetually lost on you, though I do appreciate your bringing everyone to awareness about the color-difference issue which is important to bring to light. If it turns out that Disney has modified colors in a manner inconsistent with the intended look of the film, this should be made known. And if it turns out that Disney has accurately rendered the colors in the new version and it was the older version that was incorrect, this should also be made known.
Of course, it's rather hard to defend my point after having been expelled from the forum...

Last edited by baracine; 03-30-07 at 06:06 AM.
Old 03-30-07, 06:48 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by OldRadiator
WE GET IT! Let the horse die in peace.
<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/CN-5-_2xJJI"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/CN-5-_2xJJI" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

I won't rest until I hear the horse's thoughts on the subject.

Last edited by baracine; 03-30-07 at 07:35 AM.
Old 03-30-07, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by baracine
<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/CN-5-_2xJJI"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/CN-5-_2xJJI" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

I won't rest until I hear the horse's thoughts on the subject.

hehe you just gotta love Ren & Stimpy, such a great show
Old 03-30-07, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Frenzal Rhomb
I agree with the last poster...make it stop already, if you don't like it, there's no need for you to buy it, just go ahead and say the same thing about most of the remastering done with movies in the 50s, 60s, 70s...guess we'll hear back from you on EVERY single one, because you know what, they all seem to have this Yellowish tint..have a great day
Well I actually would have bought the new PE version if it wasn't for this thread and baracine's knowledge on the subject. While I also doubt there's any way to remember what a film looked like in 1953, there's no denying serious problems with the color scheme on the PE, especially compared to the SE version. It doesn't take much common sense to look at the screenshots in this thread and see that something is terribly wrong.

Besides, if you're tired of someone's posts, why the hell do you keep reading this thread? FACT!
Old 03-30-07, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 174 Likes on 138 Posts
For those who complain it doesn't look like what they remember from seeing it in the 1950's, they only have to wait until they are nearly 70 years old for the next re-release. Maybe that one will be better.
Old 03-30-07, 02:31 PM

Didn't mean to sound rude or anything, sorry if that's what you guys intented it to be, but what about these?

http://www.cel-ebration.com/WDCC%20PETER%20PAN.htm

the site was last updated on January 2007..which was before the release and look at those statues they all seem to be the same color as the new platinum edition..maybe just a coincidence or something, maybe it has nothing to do with anything, but I'm just showing it..except for the first one where Hook has a red vest instead of a brownish one
Old 03-30-07, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Tink is NAUGH-TY

Old 03-30-07, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

its not like peter pan is a buried film. Someone has an original print, and should be able to chime in if the uproar on the net stays loud enough. I am currently watching the PE and while it is appeasing to the eye, from the evidence i have seen with the film cels, I would hold the Collectors edition asthe one to have.

No way disney will do anything about this, but if enough outcry is heard it may help future restorations from straying from the source material.
Old 03-30-07, 07:02 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Frenzal Rhomb
Didn't mean to sound rude or anything, sorry if that's what you guys intented it to be, but what about these?

http://www.cel-ebration.com/WDCC%20PETER%20PAN.htm

the site was last updated on January 2007..which was before the release and look at those statues they all seem to be the same color as the new platinum edition..maybe just a coincidence or something, maybe it has nothing to do with anything, but I'm just showing it..except for the first one where Hook has a red vest instead of a brownish one
The artisans who did this "2007 Edition" were obviously inspired by a mixture of screen caps from both editions. Mermaid Lagoon is outrageously pink but the Chef's pants are dark green and his face is very red.

Old 04-02-07, 10:21 AM
Suspended

More dirty little secrets from the Disney vaults...

I've been listening very carefully to the Enhanced Home Theater Mix on the 2007 DVD. To say that it is good is an understatement. It is positively miraculous. Perhaps a little too miraculous?

Disney put out the original mono soundtrack on CD in 1997 and it had very interesting producer's notes in it.
The producer said that the biggest challenge about restoring the film's soundtrack was the fact that, unlike other Disney films, the original soundtrack recordings of the music-only tracks couldn't be used because of their horrible reverb, so that other sources had to be used, such as the commercial recording elements for the songs and mainly the music+ sound effects + dialog tracks.

This meant a very difficult patch-up job where sometimes just a fraction of a note had to be imported from other sources. It also meant that the music lost volume wherever dialog was supposed to appear over it. This represented so much work in fact that some music-only sequences were simply omitted from the CD, which sounded OK but nowhere near the level of quality of, say, the Pinocchio sound restoration which, despite its greater age, was composed of the best possible elements: different sources for the music, the isolated singing voices, the talking voices and the sound effects. And not whithin a thousand miles of the clarity and full spectrum of sound of every single instrument in the orchestra heard in the Enhanced Home Theater Mix...

Then I had a listen to the 5.1 French track on this DVD. Judging by the French singers and actors' names and their biography on IMDb, this French translation was done in the late 70's or ealy 80's. This is possibly the second French translation of Peter Pan. When it was done, the orchestra had to be re-recorded in order to blend with the newly recorded French singing voices (the songs are in French) since the music-only tracks were supposedly of such bad quality and couldn't be used for playback. This, of course, was done with late 70's-early 80's sound recording equipment (in stereo) and I must admit it was done so well that the music itself is only distinguinshable from the original by its recording quality, its clearer highs and lower lows, in other words: its higher fidelity.

So, IMHO, this is Disney's dirty little secret number 2 (Disney's dirty little secret number 1 being that they had no say in the digital restoration of the image):

In its Enhanced Home Theater Mix, Disney producers used the modern stereo recordings of the late 70's-early 80's which were done for the new French (and possibly Spanish) version(s), and mixed them with the English talking and singing voices and the original sound effects, and other elements of the refurbished original mono track. Needless to say the results are spectacular.

Things to look for in the Enhanced Theater Mix:

Since the dialog mostly comes from the central speaker, there is no need to lower the volume of the music, which comes out of the other speakers uninterrupted while the characters speak. The scene where Tinker Bell flies away from the music box and checks herself out over a mirror has such an ample orchestral flourish that it is clearly a modern recording. Same thing for Peter Pan's solo flute intro on the rooftop, which is noisy, shrill and vibrato-laden in the original mono recording but becomes magically smooth and pitch-perfect in the French version and the Enhanced Home Theater Mix.

As far as I'm concerned, there is nothing wrong with this method. It sounds better than it ever did. It is more enjoyable and it is extremely faithful to the spirit of the original recording. So much so that it is musically undistinguishable from it, which means a lot of work and care went into its production.

But, for obvious reasons, this will remain a secret...

Last edited by baracine; 04-02-07 at 09:11 PM.
Old 04-02-07, 11:26 AM
Suspended

The second French translation is even more recent than I thought. It was done after the first French VHS edition came out, in 1991. From the French Wikipedia site ( http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Pan_(Disney) ):

Voix françaises

1er doublage (1953)
Claude Dupuis : Peter Pan
Marie-Claude Marty : Wendy
Jean-Henri Chambois : Capitaine Crochet/M. Darling
Camille Guérini : Mouche
Gérard Petit : Jean
Jean-Jacques Duverger : Michel
Mathé Altéry : Sirène

2e doublage (1991)
Hervé Rey : Peter Pan
Séverine Morisot : Wendy
Bénédicte Lécroart : Wendy (chant)
Jean-Henri Chambois : Capitaine Crochet
Teddy Bilis : Mouche
Old 04-03-07, 06:56 AM
Suspended

Reactions are starting to seep in from the animation world: http://www.cartoonbrew.com/disney/ne...pan-dvd-ruined

New Peter Pan DVD Ruined? March 19, 2007 4:25 am

I haven’t seen the new Peter Pan 2-Disc Platinum Edition, but according to the prolific UK animation director Oscar Grillo, the dvd is a mess. Many animation enthusiasts have complained about Disney’s film “restorations” in the past, and knowing Grillo’s keen eye, it’s easy to believe this is as bad as he says. I’d be curious to hear more comments from other Brew readers who have watched this new dvd release, particularly if you’re familiar with earlier theatrical releases and home video versions. Here are Oscar’s thoughts:

Yesterday I saw a copy of the newly released “Peter Pan Special Edition” and I ALMOST HAD A HEART ATTACK!!! Granted, Peter Pan is no Pinocchio, but I like it very much. The transfer, digital enhancing, sound and image ARE ALL HORRIBLE!! They’ve “strengthened” all the lines and darkened the backgrounds and altered the colours to a degree that now Peter Pan looks like one of those classic “Porky Pigs” rotoscoped in Korea in the Seventies using Rapidographs. I must have seen Peter Pan more than three hundred times and most of them in the cinema. I know the film very well. This version truly shocked me. I won’t talk much, I suggest people compare this version with any of the previously released video or DVD editions and you’ll see for yourself what I mean and complain to those responsible. When a madman damages the “Night Watch” by Rembrandt (it actually happened), he ends up in a psychiatric hospital; when a corporation ruins an animation classic, they sell it as a “special edition.”

UPDATE: Here’s a gallery of still comparisons from various home video release of Peter Pan. (Thanks, Steve)

03/19/07 8:28am Milton Gray says:

Amid, Oscar Grillo’s comments regarding the newly released DVD, “Peter Pan Special Edition”, are absolutely true. The Disney Corporation has been tampering with the colors of the classic cartoon features in their home video releases for years, and I’ve written detailed articles about this in Apatoons. If the Disney Corp just made a simple video transfer from a Technicolor (not Eastmancolor) print, or from the original Technicolor negative, like the Warner company routinely does with their Looney Tunes shorts, the results would be absolutely beautiful. A great example is the 1990 laserdisc release of Bambi, which someone forgot to alter (I believe these alterations are being done for the worse, deliberately) — and the result of the 1990 laserdisc is absolutely beautiful! I’m really glad that you posted Oscar Grillo’s comments because there really needs to be an organized public outcry about this. The colors in the cartoon features made by Walt were very carefully chosen, like the colors in a fine art painting, because those cartoons used stories that were sincere (rather than just slapstick humor), so they relied greatly on color for their mood and atmosphere and sense of magic. This is all lost when the colors are altered in home video releases, but only those people who are familiar with the way they looked in their original Technicolor releases will be aware of how much is missing.

Last edited by baracine; 04-03-07 at 07:14 AM.
Old 04-03-07, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Baracine, I'm glad I was finally able to convince you that there's something wrong with the colors on this PE.
Old 04-03-07, 10:52 AM
Suspended

Actually, I think the merit lies with the first poster in the ultimatedisney forum who posted screen caps.
Old 04-05-07, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts
From Robert Harris (Motion Picture Archivist):

A few words about...™ Disney's Peter Pan

"Goodbye, Nana..."

Like many of the other Disney Classics and "Classics," Peter Pan has now undergone homogenized digital clean-up. This is both good and bad.

Gone are any artifacts that might have allowed one to believe that the film was hand outlined on cells and painted by hand in delicate colors over half a century ago.

Will the kids care?

Definitely, not.

Are the basic film elements in any way affected?

Definitely, not.

So what one has is another "new edition" with more brilliant colors, blacker blacks, and not a speck of Disney dust in sight.

As a "new edition" Pan, as have those that have come before it, shines.

This is brilliant entertainment on which I was raised, which now looks...

well, different, but pretty.

Very Pretty.

A number of years ago, when the digital "restorations" of the Disney classics began, someone queried one of the original animators about the color.

His reply, and I can't quote, was something like...

"The color? It's nice color. It's pretty color. But it's not our color."

While I don't have a dye transfer reference print to compare color to the new DVD, one would think that it would take the same tack as those that have gone before.

This is a great film. A great entertainment that is still as fresh as the day that it was created.

So does the updating matter for DVD?

Probably not, for the result is glorious. Especially for anyone who has never had the opportunity to view this wonderful film.

One other nitpick.

A promo notes that the 1967 Jungle Book will be arriving "for the first time as a two disc set" this fall. Not for the first time, but for the first time with a caveat.

And the film has been "restored."

A quick before and after shows the ugly old Jungle Book next to the beautiful new Jungle Book.

The "old" looks faded, possibly water damaged, and generally unviewable.

I don't for a moment believe that this is the state in which the original SE negative has survived, and seems closest to the incredibly necessary "restoration" of The Little Mermaid.

This stupidity aside, Disney's Peter Pan is a highly recommended DVD. And don't fret about the original film. It's well preserved, and can be printed in it's original form anytime the studio might wish.

RAH

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.