Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Peter Pan : Platinum Edition ----> 3/6/2007

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-07, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was going to buy this and after going through my DVDs, saw that I already had the previous version of the DVD - guess I'll just keep it now!
Old 03-06-07, 02:06 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
for the Disney completists though, there's an audio commentary track on the new release, which Entertainment Weekly raved about - can't wait to hear it.
Old 03-06-07, 02:24 PM
Suspended

The "softness" of the image may be part of the concerted effort to remove all grain and edge enhancement. Other forums say the bitrate is rather low. It also appears that in the last two editions (SE and PE), some visible brushstrokes were removed, such as on Tinker Bell's dress when she measures her thighs on a mirror. Something smells fishy, and it ain't a mermaid...
Old 03-06-07, 02:28 PM
Suspended

Originally posted by Giles:
for the Disney completists though, there's an audio commentary track on the new release, which Entertainment Weekly raved about - can't wait to hear it.
That commentary was on the Special Edition (whose price is sure to go up).
Old 03-06-07, 03:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
exclusives?

does anyone have any info on the exclusives yet?

i know circuit city is offering a cdrom,
& walmart has a bonus dvd, but whats on these?
are they worth it?

so far im thinking ill get it at best buy
& grab the lunchbox & captain hook figure..

theres also a lightup pin at target,
some card game at kmart (or sears),
& apparently lithographs at the disney store..
Old 03-06-07, 03:48 PM
Suspended

The UltimateDisney reviewer of "Peter Pan Platinum Edition" sees nothing wrong with this picture ( http://www.ultimatedisney.com/peterp...umedition.html ):

[If the images don't appear, please go to the website and scroll down to the pictures of Wendy sewing on Peter's shadow.]

(The Platinum Edition picture is the one that looks like it was peed on.)

... and goes so far as to say:

Colors differ drastically from the Special Edition, generally looking far less pale or washed out in the new transfer. Hook's pirate map goes from blue-tinted to brown and his coat lining from a mossy green to a goldenrod. Without the original artwork to reference, it's difficult to say just which is the most accurate. On the whole, the colors make the most sense in the new transfer, so I'm apt to believe that the Platinum Edition is the closer of the two. It's certainly a more colorful movie when viewed on this new set. Those who felt Cinderella's clean was a little too squeaky needn't worry, though -- it's bright and vibrant, but not quite that bright and vibrant, and no sense of antiquity has been betrayed here.
Sense of antiquity? The film looks like it was artificially aged...

Last edited by baracine; 03-06-07 at 05:10 PM.
Old 03-06-07, 04:03 PM

Wow, from that comparison pic, the 2002 SE looks to be better color wise
Old 03-06-07, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts
Hard to believe that the non-anamorphic version of the SE looks so much better than the Platinum one. The screencaps especially the lagoon shot makes a strong point.

I was all set to buy the Platinum Edition, now I'm not too sure.
Old 03-06-07, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by baracine
I don't know if Groucho is serious...
Are you new 'round these parts?

Mine hasn't been shipped from Amazon yet .
Old 03-06-07, 05:03 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by LorenzoL
Hard to believe that the non-anamorphic version of the SE looks so much better than the Platinum one. The screencaps especially the lagoon shot makes a strong point.

I was all set to buy the Platinum Edition, now I'm not too sure.
I agree with you but PLEASE stop referring to the previous editions as "non-anamorphic" and to the Platinum Edition as "anamorphic". None of these editions are anamorphic. Only widecreen films can be transferred in an anamorphic way. Peter Pan is NOT a widescreen film. It has the standard 1.37:1 Academy ratio.

If anything, the Special Edition is a better transfer than the Platinum Edition, judging from the bitrate.

Last edited by baracine; 03-06-07 at 05:11 PM.
Old 03-06-07, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts
I agree with you but PLEASE stop referring to the previous editions as "non-anamorphic" and to the Platinum Edition as "anamorphic". None of these editions are anamorphic. Only widecreen films can be transferred in an anamorphic way. Peter Pan is NOT a widescreen film. It has the standard 1.37:1 Academy ratio.

If anything, the Special Edition is a better transfer than the Platinum Edition, judging from the bitrate.
Okay, let me rephrase it for you. I think that the SE transfer is much better than the PE one. How's that?
Old 03-06-07, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I wonder if I should offer up my SE for a new PE DVD? My kids wouldn't know the difference!
Old 03-06-07, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Just came back from my local best buy and picked up the last peter pan lunch box in the store. Thankfully it was in good shape.
Old 03-06-07, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I had the DVD pre-ordered at the Disney Store and got four lithographs, and then picked up the lunchbox at Best Buy...
Old 03-07-07, 06:38 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by LorenzoL
Okay, let me rephrase it for you. I think that the SE transfer is much better than the PE one. How's that?
Fine! Another fallacy that has crept up in these pages and even in some reviews lately is the expression "enhanced for fullscreen", which doesn't make sense. It's either fullscreen or it's not. It's NOT enhanced for fullscreen...
Old 03-07-07, 07:13 AM
Suspended

Another frame robbed of its blue overtones:

The first one (Special Edition) shows the sky at dusk. The second one (Platinum Edition) shows an eerie, unhealthy calm-before-the-storm cloudy sky.
Old 03-07-07, 08:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

There are times that I shouldn't read these forums because when I sit down on my couch and watch this, I'll now be trying to spot the problems. Otherwise, I doubt I would have ever known the difference, having not owned any previous edition. All the new frames I'm seeing are great color-wise, but the PE looks blurry. But perhaps that's only when you see a screen shot, so it won't be as noticable when the characters are actually moving. At the end of the day, however, I'm just thrilled to finally own this.
Old 03-07-07, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
I decided to cancel my Amazon order and pick up the SE on eBay. Great deal ($11 shipped) from a reputable seller (550 positives/100%). In fact, most of the features that I would watch are on the SE and PE didn't really add much to me in that dept. I think the SE with the much better PQ and price will work out great for me. I also think that once this transfer issue becomes more well known, we will see a run on eBay for the old SE.
Old 03-07-07, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
I also think that once this transfer issue becomes more well known, we will see a run on eBay for the old SE.
Except the transfer doesn't seem to be a negative issue in many reviews I've read -- e.g., DVDTalk, DVDFiles -- which have said the PQ is superb. I'm okay with the Platinum Edition.
Old 03-07-07, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I got the new on tuesday watch that night.I thought it was great but I will check-out the old sometime later on this week.
Old 03-07-07, 02:05 PM

having watched this last night I do have to say the video tweaking adds way to much brightness to the image.
Old 03-07-07, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts
I decided not to get the PE. The image is too disappointing. I'm gonna stick with my Special Edition.

What are the newer extras on the PE? Am I missing anything juicy?
Old 03-07-07, 02:18 PM

question:

are these new end credits for the PE or are they same as the SE (I owned the first 'Limited Edition' version)? I would assume so.. right?
Old 03-07-07, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,212 Likes on 2,072 Posts
Something smells fishy, and it ain't a mermaid...
Wendy?
Old 03-07-07, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
Wendy?
(I almost spewed my Arizona Ice Tea onto my monitor)

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.