Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Thank You For Smoking --------------> Release Date: 10/3/06

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-06, 09:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thank You For Smoking --------------> Release Date: 10/3/06

CENTURY CITY , Calif. – America is living in spin and that's exactly how Nick Naylor likes it. Thank You For Smoking , the outrageously witty satire of one man's fight to promote America 's right to smoke, arrives on DVD October 3, 2006 from Fox Home Entertainment. Aaron Eckhart ( Erin Brockovich ) stars as Nick Naylor, a cool, cocky D.C. lobbyist whose moral elasticity allows him to slickly turn every threat to Big Tobacco's image into an opportunity to spin – Nick doesn't hide the truth – he filters it. Based on Christopher Buckley's novel, critics and audiences are hooked on this “ slashingly hilarious comedy ” ( New York Magazine ) that Rolling Stone is saying “ will make you laugh till it hurts.” Featuring an all-star cast including Maria Bello ( A History of Violence ), Adam Brody ( Mr. & Mrs. Smith , “The O.C.”), Katie Holmes ( Batman Begins ), Rob Lowe (“The West Wing,” Austin Powers in Goldmember ), William H. Macy ( Seabiscuit ) and Robert Duvall ( Kicking and Screaming ), Thank You For Smoking is a “gloriously politically incorrect send-up of Washington 's culture of shameless spin” ( Newsweek ). The DVD features a carton-full of bonus material including cast and director commentary, deleted scenes, the Making Of Thank You For Smoking featurette and more. Thank You For Smoking will be available on DVD for the suggested retail price of $29.98 U.S./$43.48 Canada.

Synopsis:

Aaron Eckhart stars as Nick Naylor, a sexy, charismatic spin-doctor for Big Tobacco who'll fight to protect America 's right to smoke – even if it kills him – while still remaining a role model for his 12-year-old son. When he incurs the wrath of a senator bent on snuffing out cigarettes, Nick's powers of “filtering the truth” will be put to the test. As Nick says, “If you want an easy job, go work for the Red Cross.” With a smokin' all-star cast that includes William H. Macy, Rob Lowe, Adam Brody, Maria Bello, Katie Holmes and Robert Duvall, this “fiendishly funny” (“Good Morning America”) comedy will prove seriously addictive.

DVD Features:

The Thank You For Smoking DVD is presented with English Dolby Surround 5.1 and Spanish Dolby Surround in widescreen (2.40:1) or full screen (1.33:1), along with English, French and Spanish subtitles. Brimming with addictive bonus features, the DVD includes cast and director commentary, deleted scenes, “The Charlie Rose Show” interview with Jason Reitman, Aaron Eckhart, Christopher Buckley and David O. Sacks, the Making of Thank You For Smoking featurette, an “America: Living in Spin” featurette and more!

THANK YOU FOR SMOKING
DVD Price: $29.98 U.S./$43.48 Canada
Street Date: October 3, 2006
Total Running Time: 91 minutes
U.S. Rating R
Canadian Rating: 14A
Closed Captioned: Yes
Old 09-22-06, 11:13 AM

Isn't it pretty fucking useless saying "the best comedy since the 40 year old virgin"? That flick came out just slightly over a year ago, and this one came out in theaters early this year. There were only a small handful of comedies between the two to begin with.
Old 09-22-06, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah, I never understood those those quotes, especially with a reference to something so recent. And ultimately it reads as "Well, It's not funnier than the 40-year Old Virgin"
Old 09-22-06, 12:30 PM

Will Katie Holmes-Cruise's sex scene be "missing" from the dvd as well? Seems it got "lost" at all the festival showings...
Old 09-22-06, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

does this come with a slipcover? and no one is making any exclusives for this title?
Old 09-22-06, 04:10 PM

I'm surprised that, with studio marketing being what it is, they don't just say, "the best comedy!"
Old 09-22-06, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by FILMCZY
Will Katie Holmes-Cruise's sex scene be "missing" from the dvd as well? Seems it got "lost" at all the festival showings...
when i saw the second showing at sundance, the scene in question was there. really, it just amounts to a whole lot of moaning and acrobatics from katie holmes. no nudity that i can remember.
Old 09-22-06, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by kms_md
when i saw the second showing at sundance, the scene in question was there. really, it just amounts to a whole lot of moaning and acrobatics from katie holmes. no nudity that i can remember.
Yup, which is all the theatrical release has as well. If you want to see a better look at her, rent "The Gift".
Old 09-22-06, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 241 Likes on 152 Posts
Originally Posted by j_sutton
I'm surprised that, with studio marketing being what it is, they don't just say, "the best comedy!"
Since the movie itself is about spin and media manipulation, shouldn't they be advertising as "the best comedy ever made"?
Old 09-22-06, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I thought it was hilarious, I'll definitely be pickin it up.
Old 09-22-06, 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by animatedude
does this come with a slipcover? and no one is making any exclusives for this title?
Yes to slipcover. I am waiting before I purchase to see if anyone has any exclusives. There are different case colors for widescreen & fullscreen. Where the white is on the fullscreen, that is red on the widescreen case.
Old 09-22-06, 07:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

iam waiting to see too.i really wish if bestbuy for example uses the non-smoking logo which was used for one of the posters as the DVD artwork...but meh it will never happen.maybe in the UK as a HMV exclusive?...let's hope.
Old 09-22-06, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

this was my favorite comedy of the year
Old 09-23-06, 01:31 AM

I thought it was great and I am picking up the DVD but, I did expect a more audacious advertising campaign.
Old 09-23-06, 04:08 AM
Banned

I don't understand how you guys consider this movie a comedy? I think I might have laughed a whole 3 times.... I laugh more watching CSI and it's not a comedy of any sort...While the movie wasn't terrible it also wasn't good. I'd give it a C-.
Old 09-23-06, 04:26 AM

I never got to see this one, and I really wanted to... but I think it's different than I am expecting, since it's the "funniest thing since 40 Year Old Virgin", which I didn't like.
Old 09-23-06, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Wow Puddytay, what kind of movie were you expecting? This was a satire through and through and it was BRILLIANT. I lauged from start to finish, easily one of my favourite movies of the year so far. I've been eagerly awaiting this dvd since I saw the film what seems like an eternity ago.

MATT
Old 09-23-06, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i'm excited to pick this up too. i thought it was great.
Old 09-23-06, 01:05 PM
Banned

I just didn't find it funny what so ever.... I also thought the whole backstory with his kid was useless, I also thought the scenes at the bar with the alchohol lady and firearms guy was quite useless to the story... I just thought it was very poorly made....
Old 09-23-06, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,081 Likes on 656 Posts
One of the few recent movies that I would rate 5 stars.

If you don't "get" satire...stay far away.
Old 10-05-06, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Finally saw this film last night and really liked it. It's very smart and witty. Aaron Eckhart is awesome as Nick Naylor. The DVD picture quality looked great as well.
Old 10-05-06, 11:11 AM

Funny? One reason I'm buying is because the volume of people laughing in the theater drowned out most of the follow-up dialog, so the DVD will be my first chance to hear the whole movie.

Too bad this is sort of a stealth release; not much retail enhancement, no steep discounts. On the other hand, usually movies like this find no audience at all, whereas this one did OK, and ought to have a profitable video afterlife.

RichC
Old 10-05-06, 12:12 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
I rented this the other day and liked it a lot. Eckhart was perfect in the lead and the film was very clever.
Old 10-10-06, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

am i the only one who's surprised that amazon.com didn't offer +40% off this yet? we all know that since August 2005, amazon.ocm been making 40-52% off hot titles (they still do) but iam surprised that they didn't include titles like Hard Candy and Thank You For Smoking in this....maybe cos they know that not so many ppl watched this when it came out in cinemas?
Old 10-10-06, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
I think you answered your own question, I believe X-Men 3 and The Little Mermaid were the 'hot' titles last week, not this.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.