Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Dick Tracy(animated) and Harveytoons?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-06, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 182 Likes on 155 Posts
Dick Tracy(animated) and Harveytoons?

I see that Sony Wonder is coming out with these in the next few weeks.Anyone have a complete episode listing?
Old 09-04-06, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 241 Likes on 152 Posts
The 60's animated Dick Tracy? Wasn't that the show where all Dick Tracy did was dispatch some insulting racial stereotype detective out to solve a crime?
Old 09-04-06, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yep
Old 09-04-06, 05:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dvd-4-life
I see that Sony Wonder is coming out with these in the next few weeks.Anyone have a complete episode listing?
For Dick Tracy, I assume it's all the episodes listed here:
http://www.bcdb.com/cartoons/Columbi...how/index.html
Old 09-04-06, 10:56 PM

Harveytoons - does this have the Mighty Heroes? or Baby Huey?

Last edited by DocBrass; 09-04-06 at 11:08 PM.
Old 10-18-06, 10:19 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
From thedigitalbits.com:

I'm pleased today to report one of the best things I've heard in a while: Classic Media has announced that they'll be releasing The Complete Harveytoons Collection on 11/7. That's right, I said THE COMPLETE. This 4 disc set (double-sided DVD-18s), will include ALL 312 classic Harveytoons shorts with digitally remastered picture and sound. Anyone else, like me, old enough to know and love these shorts? Yeah, we're talking Casper the Friendly Ghost. We're talking Richie Rich. We're talking Wendy and Herman and Katnip, Hot Stuff, Baby Huey, Little Audrey and The Modern Madcaps. The set will SRP for just $39.98, and it comes in collectible packaging with an original Casper comic printed inside. Very cool news indeed. Here's a look at the cover art...
http://www.thedigitalbits.com/#mytwocents

Old 10-18-06, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Jason
The 60's animated Dick Tracy? Wasn't that the show where all Dick Tracy did was dispatch some insulting racial stereotype detective out to solve a crime?
yep..although the only ones insulted are the ones who around now that were too young to see it to begin with..
Old 10-18-06, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 236 Likes on 169 Posts
Better pass the Dick Tracy Show cause it's gettting a bad review.

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=24431
Old 10-18-06, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I give it a thumbs up-no worse than Popeye from that era or Courageous Cat.
Old 10-18-06, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by dom56

thats a pretty bad review...but it seems he didn't like the content....the dvd quality seems to be fine. No reason to pass on it, if you know what it is going in.
Old 10-19-06, 08:24 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I guess that's the problem with reviews. It's hard not to insert your biases into it.

Most collectors care about the condition of the final product, which this does.
Old 10-19-06, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by dom56

I for one can't wait to get it. I have a few on VHS, and was a big Dick Tracy fan. Like the review says, he's not really in it, but it's still the nostalgia of it. Although I am waiting until I see it for under $20. And for a new month when I haven't already spent so much!
Old 10-19-06, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Good job Sony on delivering some cool 60's animation classics while over companies are slackers when it comes to the 60's.Looking forward to the Harveytoons also.Any collectors of animation this would be a no brainer.
Old 10-19-06, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Feeling really nostalgic for the HarveyToons. It's my earliest memory of watching animation back in the mid to late '70s on aftertoon TV.

This was even before I discovered Merrie Melodies & Looney Tunes.
Old 10-27-06, 02:41 PM
Banned

Bad news fromthedigitalbits.com:

First of all, we've gotten our hands on Classic Media's Harveytoons: The Complete Collection DVD and we have a couple comments about it. The bad news is that these are NOT the original Harveytoon shorts per se, but rather this 4-disc set contains episodes of the more recent The Harveytoon Show (each episode of which contained 3 or 4 Harveytoon shorts) as seen on Fox Family Channel and more recently on Boomerang as Casper and Friends. The OTHER bad news is that there's no list of the episodes and shorts included anywhere on the packaging, and even when you pop the DVDs in, they're only identified by a number. A booklet would have helped this set immensely. What fans will consider even WORSE news, however, is that the set only includes 52 episodes, while there were 78 episodes of the show in all. On top of that, while the episodes are listed by number, they don't always even correspond to the original series' episode numbers. Disc One seems to correspond to the Wikipedia episode list fairly well, but then the set starts to skip episodes and jump around like crazy. And while the original series occasionally duplicated some of the same shorts over different episodes, new episodes seem to have been edited together such that there's little to no duplication... and yet a LOT of the original shorts even from this series are missing. Obviously, there are many more original Harveytoon shorts that were never included in this series as well. The one bit of good news that we can report about Harveytoons: The Complete Collection is that the video and audio quality here is very good. But calling this set "complete" is terribly misleading to say the least. Despite its problems, however, this is still a decent collection of great and classic shorts on DVD. If your kids haven't had the chance to see these before, this is a good way to expose them to a lot of wonderful animation. But with a little more attention to detail, this could have been a truly great DVD release, ranking right up there with Warner's Looney Tunes Golden Collections and Disney's Walt Disney Treasures sets. What a shame. Animation historian Jerry Beck has more information on this Harveytoons DVD over at his Cartoon Brew website (check the 10/26 post).
http://www.thedigitalbits.com/#mytwocents