Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 2nd Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31)

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 2nd Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31)

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-06, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by NewYorkRipper
Cool, sounds great. I will pick it up for sure then, it can be had quite cheaply. BTW How are you watching so many films. Are you fitting them in around your schedule?
Hello again, Rip. I own my own biz and because of my upcoming canoe/kayak trip to the Boundry Waters....I have taken some time off this month to prepare. A few weeks ago, I did not even care about the horror challenge because I thought I'd be away 20 days out of the month but that changed. That and I had been working 14 hour days every day the last few months and my 42 year old back needs a break. I have my 3 employees out there busting their young backs for me.

I'm a veteran at holding 24 hour film-a-thons and this is really no different. Problem is....I'm trying to viddey many other new releases this month and most are non-horror. Trust me...my list could be much fatter. I leave around the 20th though....so I'll be thinning out my viddey schedule over the next week or so as I prepare for my trip.

Last edited by gutwrencher; 10-04-06 at 08:54 PM.
Old 10-04-06, 09:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gutwrencher
I hate being the problem child here. I'm sad now....it's hanky time. I did not realize I was fucking up the thread by doing it the way I wanted, so to avoid confusing and upsetting everyone...I'll refrain from new posts. Jesus fucking Christ!

Oops...it figures you would respond just when I was updating and reposting my list already.
If you really are going to stop updating in the list thread, which I don't see updating there really as a problem. If my links hold up and people don't just delete their master list post, i figure people could just go there if they wanted to see others' whole lists. But you could always post updates in this thread, since it is general discussion and nothing to mix up, and keep your "master" list updated in the list thread.
Old 10-04-06, 09:31 PM

No worries, mate. I'm still updating my original post....but may hold off on new posts since it does not sit well with some horror freaks.

Then again....I may change my mind and continue. Too tired to think about it now anyway. My eyes are too bloodshot from constant horror viddey today!

As I said earlier in the other thread...I use your links and thank you for doing that. I'm not so much into seeing how MANY people are watching...but WHAT they are watching instead!
Old 10-04-06, 09:39 PM

As I said earlier in the other thread...I use your links and thank you for doing that. I'm not so much into seeing how MANY people are watching...but WHAT they are watching instead!
Indeed, since you said that you care about quality over quantity, and that I've seen about 1% of the titles on your list, I'll have a lot of horror watching to do even After October,
Old 10-04-06, 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by supfool!
Indeed, since you said that you care about quality over quantity, and that I've seen about 1% of the titles on your list, I'll have a lot of horror watching to do even After October,

Thats the great thing about horror. It may peek in October for obvious reasons....but there is so much horror out there that you can keep busy for years!
Old 10-04-06, 09:53 PM
Cool New Member

Gutwrencher, your dedication is awesome. I only asked because I have been working 50 plus hour weeks and I feel like I'm doind pretty shitty in this event/competition.
Old 10-04-06, 10:05 PM

Gutwrencher, your dedication is awesome. I only asked because I have been working 50 plus hour weeks and I feel like I'm doind pretty shitty in this event/competition.
I know how you are feeling...really. Last month I had very little time to watch anything at all and if we were to have had a contest like this then...I may have squeezed in 10. You working 50+ hours a week is something you and I need to do at times. It's survival. I commend you for being a hard worker.

Don't feel bad. There will only be one winner and it won't be me either! Take this time to viddey what you can....and explore other lists from members. It's a great way to bone-up on what films are out there that you may have otherwise not ever hear of. I've learned a ton about various films just by hanging out here at dvdtalk....and other places of course.

Just watch what you can and have fun spooking yerself out!
Old 10-04-06, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think once I hit around 30 movies, I'll start slowing down a lot. I don't want to set a goal for myself, but I can see myself taking a break around 30, but not stopping.

This has actually been a lot of fun so far, I just wish I had more time to watch movies. I usually watch movies either really late at night, or early in the afternoon... unless I'm off, like today
Old 10-04-06, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts
I hate being the problem child here. I'm sad now....it's hanky time. I did not realize I was fucking up the thread by doing it the way I wanted, so to avoid confusing and upsetting everyone...I'll refrain from new posts. Jesus fucking Christ!

Oops...it figures you would respond just when I was updating and reposting my list already.
We don't really have a problem. Someone asked if you'd mind not updating with a new post every time you update your list. Someone else was confused and I was just explaining the format we have all pretty much agreed upon, in practice. You can do whatever you want, but you are indeed the only one with your list in multiple posts so it stands out. It's no big deal, but it is somewhat cluttering and has the unintended consequence of appearing to be more important than anyone else's list. I'm sure everyone is doing as I'm doing and checking the entire thread to see participants' updates. We don't need reminders that someone has updated his list. It's not a normal thread, but is a compendium of our lists.
Old 10-04-06, 10:37 PM

BTW, Ripper, at least you have 2 of my personal faves already on your list! Opera and .....Bloody Iris are outstanding efforts. I adore Argento, Bava and Fulci and can't live without giallos. See? it's not how much you watch....it's what you watch, period. Great taste in horror means more to me than anything...no matter how many you squeeze in. I myself think I have superb taste in horror....so I relate to you.
Old 10-04-06, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Ya know, I'm gonna bust out with my copy of Opera soon. Thanks for the reminder!
I didn't want to watch another Argento movie so soon, but you guys got me in the mood
Old 10-04-06, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I can't believe how many I've managed to fit in so far. I'm not that far into my college semester, so I'm taking advantage of my free time while I have it. I have a feeling I might burn-out around the middle of the month. I'm gunna start writing about horror movies on my tests instead of the subjects I should be learning!
Old 10-04-06, 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by Abe.
Ya know, I'm gonna bust out with my copy of Opera soon. Thanks for the reminder!
I didn't want to watch another Argento movie so soon, but you guys got me in the mood

Yeah, I saw you viddied another Argento fave earlier in your list and glad to see you gave The Beyond a spin. I have that on tap during my Fulci-Slaughterfest which begins this Sunday.

Sabrett...you are on a major roll. You may be a threat to win it all. Good luck!!!!

Old 10-04-06, 11:21 PM

An Open Invitation:

As you can see, I have not been able to watch my new Bogart discs tonight. All this horror talk has me spinning out of control and I'm in no mood to viddey Across the Pacific.

Feeding off of others and their lists is a great way to beef-up yer totals. If anyone has some Lucio Fulci discs they would like to enjoy...maybe we can semi-challenge each other in a Fulci-Faceoff. I have my next 48 films already on the agenda and I'm having a Fulci-Slaughterfest this Sunday and plan on diggin' a Fulci-freakout most of the day....or at least around HD NFL. I was thinking we could have a group here who could watch the same director and keep each other pumped about squeezing in as many as possible. We would have to suffer through some crappy ones, being Fulci, and a few vomit bags are going to be needed...one for the gore....one for the bad acting.

Maybe it sounds goofy....but if interested....give a shout-out. I'm planning on about 8 dvds at this point...but maybe someone could push me to 10.

Last edited by gutwrencher; 10-04-06 at 11:25 PM.
Old 10-04-06, 11:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by Sabrett
I can't believe how many I've managed to fit in so far.
Me neither.

I'm having a tough time getting in more than 3-4 a day because of my job. 45 hours a week isn't extremely conducive to movie watching. I do have a few half days coming up plus a vacation at the end of the month so I should be able to kick it up some near the end.
Old 10-04-06, 11:30 PM

...And one more thing. I have replaced my Bogart choice with one last horror film for the night. YUMMY!

It's Nekromantik!!!!!! WooooHooooo!!! Been 2 years since I last watched this(wonder why..this is sick, twisted shit).

Last edited by gutwrencher; 10-04-06 at 11:58 PM.
Old 10-04-06, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning.
Received 1,077 Likes on 676 Posts
Originally Posted by Sabrett
I can't believe how many I've managed to fit in so far. I'm not that far into my college semester, so I'm taking advantage of my free time while I have it. I have a feeling I might burn-out around the middle of the month. I'm gunna start writing about horror movies on my tests instead of the subjects I should be learning!
Same, I just keep blazing forward and wondering why I'm single.
Old 10-04-06, 11:48 PM
Cool New Member

BTW, Ripper, at least you have 2 of my personal faves already on your list! Opera and .....Bloody Iris are outstanding efforts. I adore Argento, Bava and Fulci and can't live without giallos. See? it's not how much you watch....it's what you watch, period. Great taste in horror means more to me than anything...no matter how many you squeeze in. I myself think I have superb taste in horror....so I relate to you.
It was my first time watching Bloody Iris and boy was I surprised at how good it was, definately quintessential Giallo. I, like yourself cannot live w/o Giallo. I graduated from college in May and spent all Summer watching, learning and collecting horror films... so this is kind of the summation of all that.

Gutwrencher, you are doing a Fulci-fest on Sunday? That is my only day off...would you mind if I copied you and had a Fulci-fest as well -then we could chat about them?
Old 10-04-06, 11:55 PM

Gutwrencher, you are doing a Fulci-fest on Sunday? That is my only day off...would you mind if I copied you and had a Fulci-fest as well -then we could chat about them?
No problem there. We can also hang in a Fulci Forum that I know of or/and we can pm from time to time. maybe a few other Fulcifreaks can join us here....but Fulci has his share of haters and I would not want to clutter up the thread....although Lucio deserves the pats-on-the-back. We can start planning it out later this week.

Ok...time to start tonights final film.....

Sweet nightmares, childeren of the night!

Last edited by gutwrencher; 10-04-06 at 11:59 PM.
Old 10-05-06, 12:00 AM
Cool New Member

Great... I'm getting Don't torture a Duckling from Netflix tomorrow and I will probably buy Lizard's Skin soon. Other than that I have all the classics from Zombi 2 to my namesake NYRipper. Well good luck with your final film. I'll be working here at the Governor's Campaign for another hour or so... then I'm going to watch Dead and Buried.
Old 10-05-06, 12:02 AM

Great... I'm getting Don't torture a Duckling from Netflix tomorrow.....

A CLASSICK!!!!!
Old 10-05-06, 03:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

halloween 2 for me late nite....going to bed now
Old 10-05-06, 05:25 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I just watched Sleepover Nightmare. I think it's the worst movie I have ever seen! Bad acting, story, writing, lame fx, and a terrible killer. It was shot on video and looks like someone grabbed a camcorder and starting filming in there back yard. Avoid this movie!
Old 10-05-06, 08:20 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Hey Gutwrencher, how was Basket Case? I have seen the cover art on VHS and DVDs since I was a kid and wonder if its worth adding to my collection. Is it a slasher?

Hi Ripper!

BC is a personal fave of mine. Pretty twisted shit...should be right up yer alley. Check out the great write-up right here on dvdtalk.

Yes....trust me....get it for yer library.

Go here and check it out.....Basket Case write-up
I agree the movie is a classic and since gut linked the review - watch the movie but also listen to the commentary - it's insightful and very engaging as the movie.

btw the SE of Henenlotter's Frankenhooker is coming out next Tuesday - can't wait for that!

oh and thanks gut for those lovely pics from "Nekromantik' - ewwwww, (not work safe)

Last edited by Giles; 10-05-06 at 08:24 AM.
Old 10-05-06, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Giles
btw the SE of Henenlotter's Frankenhooker is coming out next Tuesday - can't wait for that!
I've been looking for the new release of Frankenhooker, but I haven't been able to find it anywhere online for pre-order. Are you sure it's still being released next week, and if so, where might one find it?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.