Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 2nd Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31)

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 2nd Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31)

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-06, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 114 Likes on 101 Posts
Well (Just like last year) once I reached 100, my interest in watching more movies fizzeled. There were a few movies on TCM yesterday that I wanted to see but passed on, and while I did watch Jess Franco's The Devil Came from Akasava last night on Sundance, the movie did not appear as a horror flick to me so I decided not to include it in my list.

Alright, on with the awards!

Last year's winners:
(Movies I saw for the first time and liked)

1.Pin
2.The Body Snatcher
3.Society
4.The Innocents
5.Rabid

This year's winners:
1.Devil's Nightmare
2.The Old Dark House (Original)
3.Horror Hotel
4.House of Usher
5.Deep Red

Biggest Surprise (positive)
Imprint
I expected to be let down like everyone else. But I was blown away.
Runner-up:
Dark Town
Far from a masterpiece, but I still managed to have fun with it. A very shaky start (Getting introduced to characters via Crash structure) but of course, once the monsters start appearing, this low budget flick soon comes to life.

Biggest Disappointment
Premutos
The terribly-dubbed english track was funny (At first) but the story just had me lost. Things were almost saved by the climactic gore-orgy, but the listless direction and repeated gags prevented me from liking it.

Worst Movie(s)
Exorcist-The Beginning
Glad to have to the opportunity to see this and Dominion in a short time span. It's clear which one remains supreme.
Dark Water (Remake)
Just bored as hell.

Best Movie(s)
I already labeled mine up top, but what the hell, there's a few more that I liked:
Werewolf's Shadow
Glad I gave this a shot. Good fun.
The Eye 2
Not a sequel linear-wise, but I thought this was an effective fright flick.
Devil's Backbone
Probably the best "Tormented ghost kid movie" I've seen in awhile.

Best "Better on a 2nd viewing" movie
Land of the Dead
This was my first time seeing it since it's theatrical release on July 4th,2005. It still doesn't feel quite like a Romero film, but man, I've sure got a lot more love for it now. I still GOTTA see the Unrated cut.

Best "I forgot how nasty this movie was" award
The Untold Story
Damn. Forgot how brutal some of the killings were in this.

"WTF did I just watch?"
Satan's Children

I said a few posts back that this year's challenge was more grueling for me than the last and I wasn't kidding. And if I'm still around next year, don't be surprised if I lower my goal number totals.
Yet, this is still THE movie-marathon that I'm always willing to participate in. We'll just see if I've recovered enough to change my mind and go for over a hundred again
Old 11-01-06, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by OwlAtHome
I'm glad this is over.
Me too. It felt nice today to be able to relax and not even think about movies.
Old 11-01-06, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts
Biggest Surprise (positive)
Blood For Dracula. I'd avoided this for years but was pleasantly surprised by a unique interpretation of the Dracula story.
Spoiler:
Dracula is a very sickly junkie who has run out of victims(who must be virgins, or he becomes violently ill) in his home region, so he goes to Italy, which he supposes to be religious with chaste women. He goes to a land-rich/cash-poor aristocrat pretending to be looking for a wife but little does he know that Joe Dallesandro is a worker in the house seducing the girls just before Dracula can feed.

Biggest Disappointment
Singapore Sling. Jerry Chandler and Don May of Synapse Films raved this to me personally at Cinema Wasteland. Ugh. Chicks were cute, but I just didn't get it. They did steer me to Small Gauge Horror: Best of FantAsia Film Fest. Great collection of short films.

Worst Movie
Blood Bath. Weak and dull anthology film by the director of Bloodsucking Freaks. Yeah, how can that miss? Like a weak no-budget Amicus, without the style, or skill, or story.

Best Movie
From Beyond-uncut. Although my favorate Horror is Texas Chainsaw Massacre, and my alltime favorite film is Spider Baby, I was impressed how 26 seconds or so of extra footage improved an already cool flick. I got a Divx copy from the HD broadcast on MonstersHD. Can't wait for the DVD release.

I'd seen the majority of the films because most came from my library, but I hadn't watched them forever. Quite a lot of fun.
Old 11-01-06, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Mondo Kane
Biggest Disappointment
Premutos
The terribly-dubbed english track was funny (At first) but the story just had me lost. Things were almost saved by the climactic gore-orgy, but the listless direction and repeated gags prevented me from liking it.
I saw this pre-movie challenge, and I had the lowest expectations going in. The one thing I did take from the movie was to not just put anything on my balls to make them feel better.
Old 11-01-06, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Congrats to all those who reached and surpassed their mark.

I'm planning a post-contest throwdown tonight. Sorry....I really just need a few more shots of horror before my Argento Holiday on November 7th. That will be a 24 hour marathon and 4 people have already commited and will be attending the party! Me get tired of horror? Fat chance.

Tonight:

Devil's Rain(Shatner and Borgnine...wow!)
Homecoming(MOH and Dante)

And oh my God....Twilight Zone: The Movie looks AWESOME on HDNetMovies right now!

Can't wait for the next HD showing right after TZTM....It's one of my all time fave flicks....After Hours...WooooHoooo!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-01-06, 09:02 PM

Well, I had to hit it hard the last night but I managed to get to 100 (69 last year).......and now I'm exhausted.
Old 11-01-06, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts
Originally Posted by gutwrencher
Congrats to all those who reached and surpassed their mark.
My sentiments exactly! And surprisingly I'm not totally burned out on horror flicks like I assumed I'd be. In fact, believe I'll use this week to burn off a few of the remaining films that weren't included for whatever reason.

Well, my final tally ended up at a respectable 131....that's 11 more than last year's count.

BTW, I'm currently in the process of tabulating everyone's totals and will hopefully have that thread up by the end of the week so ViewAskewbian can send out "The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari" DVD to the winner.
Old 11-01-06, 11:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey caligulathegod, if you want to trade or sell Singapore Sling email me at [email protected]

Congrats to all
Old 11-02-06, 01:02 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Mondo Kane
Alright, on with the awards!

Last year's winners:
(Movies I saw for the first time and liked)

1.Pin
2.The Body Snatcher
3.Society
4.The Innocents
5.Rabid

This year's winners:
1.Devil's Nightmare
2.The Old Dark House (Original)
3.Horror Hotel
4.House of Usher
5.Deep Red
Well, Mondo, I will say that you have great taste. Almost all of the 'Winners' on your list had the same effect on me - surprisingly terrific films, even beyond being marvelous genre films. I say almost all because I've never seen "Devil's Nightmare" - but based on your obvious good taste, I'll have to look that one up.

My handful of 'Winners' this year (bear in mind, I only watched 31 total):

1. May - Angela Bettis is the most adorable psychopath ever!
2. Curse of the Demon - The best Val Lewton picture he never made.
3. Trilogy of Terror - Surprisingly perverse for a made-for-TV movie.
4. The Norliss Tapes - Another goofy but fun made-for-TV classic.
5. The Brain That Wouldn't Die - The most hilarious (unintentional) comedy I've seen in years.

I wish I could have squeezed in more movies, but it was fun nevertheless. I look forward to doing it again next year.
Old 11-02-06, 05:21 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Sadistikpro
Hey caligulathegod, if you want to trade or sell Singapore Sling email me at [email protected]

Congrats to all
Actually, I rented it. I had already bought $100 worth of vids and passed it up. Luckily, I have the coolest video store here in Columbus that gets about everything.
Old 11-02-06, 08:25 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by gutwrencher

And oh my God....Twilight Zone: The Movie looks AWESOME on HDNetMovies right now!
cool, that's an endorsement! Now to see if my DV-R will record it, I wanted to take a sledge hammer to it after it did not record Barry Lyndon
Old 11-02-06, 01:14 PM

Well, this was my first year to participate. My goal was 31 and I hit 40. The World Series and Playoffs had to be fit in (I'm a Cardinals fan so no complaints).

I'm certainly not burned out on horror either! I'm eagerly awaiting the new season of MOH, Horrorfest (8 films to die for), and watching many things I just didn't have time for in October. I'll just have to mix in some other stuff to keep my wife happy.
Old 11-03-06, 10:14 PM

I thought I'd be a bit burned out on horror, as well, but I've already watched about 6 or 7 more since it ended.

On a side note, I also watched Fire In The Sky the other night (I think this is the first time I've seen it since I saw it at the theatre) and anyone who says this isn't a horror film clearly doesn't understand the genre, no offense.
Old 11-03-06, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by The Reaper
On a side note, I also watched Fire In The Sky the other night (I think this is the first time I've seen it since I saw it at the theatre) and anyone who says this isn't a horror film clearly doesn't understand the genre, no offense.
I understand it just fine. It's a sci-fi flick. The sci-fi theme far outweighs any injections of horror. It's on my sci-fi shelf, right next to Communion, Contact and Invaders From Mars.
Old 11-06-06, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts
Just a heads up --

Sorry for the delay, but I'm still in the process of tabulating everything and PROMISE to have the results thread up by this week!

BTW, there's a few of you that still haven't updated your lists. Don't know if it's because you quit or simply forgot to update...but please update them ASAP if they're incomplete!