Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Last of the Mohicans DC

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-06, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Last of the Mohicans DC

Does the barebones director's cut with DTS exclude some parts of the theatrical version? I know it adds some parts, but I heard that some other parts in the original are cut out. Anyone able to confirm this? If that's the case, I may end up getting the R2 version on ebay or something.
Old 08-29-06, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 112 Likes on 100 Posts
Originally Posted by NaturalMystic79
I know it adds some parts, but I heard that some other parts in the original are cut out.
From what I remember, dripping blood was excised from a character's death (The sequence has almost been edited into a freezeframe) and the "I will find you song" which plays on the montage where the trio are searching for the girls has been replaced by the theme music.
Old 08-29-06, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Does the barebones director's cut with DTS exclude some parts of the theatrical version? I know it adds some parts, but I heard that some other parts in the original are cut out. Anyone able to confirm this? If that's the case, I may end up getting the R2 version on ebay or something.
Barely noticeable (if anything, couldn't really tell), and the dts is phenomenal regarding the music and the overall ambience of the film.

EDIT: Didn't know that about the DC's ending sequence ... apparently I've only seen that version. That song from Clannad is striking. I wouldn't mind seeing that play out on disc. I still would probably prefer the theme music during the finale, since it adds that throbbing, primitive feel to the revenge.

Last edited by gryffinmaster; 08-30-06 at 01:07 AM.
Old 08-29-06, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Mondo Kane
From what I remember, dripping blood was excised from a character's death (The sequence has almost been edited into a freezeframe) and the "I will find you song" which plays on the montage where the trio are searching for the girls has been replaced by the theme music.
The song playing over that sequence is my favorite part of the movie, which is why I'm still watching the LD. There is an anamorphic R4 dvd out there with the theatrical cut but I haven't gotten around to picking it up.
Old 08-29-06, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by chente
The song playing over that sequence is my favorite part of the movie, which is why I'm still watching the LD. There is an anamorphic R4 dvd out there with the theatrical cut but I haven't gotten around to picking it up.
Any idea where I can order this R4 copy? Also the R2 looks to be the original theatrical version with 5.1 DD and anamorphic WS picture.
Old 08-30-06, 12:33 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Any idea where I can order this R4 copy? Also the R2 looks to be the original theatrical version with 5.1 DD and anamorphic WS picture.

http://www.dvdcrave.com/products/product.jsp?pid=1735

This might help you too.
Old 08-30-06, 06:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
The removal of Clannad's "I will find you" was a huge mistake IMHO. It was the perfect song at the perfect point in that film.

http://www.mohicanpress.com/mo11121.html
Old 08-30-06, 10:44 AM

There's a NTSC R3 Korean theatrical cut available as well...

http://www.dvdfromkorea.com/shop/p_d...=Search&genre=
Old 08-30-06, 11:36 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Mondo Kane
From what I remember, dripping blood was excised from a character's death (The sequence has almost been edited into a freezeframe)

Mann got a tad too arty-farty in that alteration (IMO)
Spoiler:
Magua (Wes Studi) death scene - is alot gorier in the theatrical cut, the DC removes the shot of the gunpick that has exited his back

Last edited by Giles; 08-30-06 at 02:54 PM.
Old 08-30-06, 11:41 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by Brian Shannon
The removal of Clannad's "I will find you" was a huge mistake IMHO. It was the perfect song at the perfect point in that film.
Disagree. That song took me completely out of the film when watching the theatrical version, and I was pleased to see it removed. It's too contemporary.

Mann also removed several of Hawkeye's "action hero"-style quips from the director's cut.
Old 08-30-06, 01:54 PM
Cool New Member

I remember when I saw it in the theater, when Uncas and the girl die, we get a much closer shot of their dead bodies at the bottom of the mountain, on the DVD it's so far away you can barely notice them.
Old 08-30-06, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 112 Likes on 100 Posts
^Spoiler tags there,buddy.

I was talking about the same character that Giles posted. A little bit of gore was trimmed on that sequence.
Old 08-30-06, 02:05 PM

I got the UK DVD, which is rather cheap on amazon UK right now:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/-Last-Mohica...UTF8&s=gateway

I just wanted the movie the way it was released. I understood if you prefer the DC, but the fact that the original cut isn't available at all really irks me. Thief, as well. The original cut of that is perfect the way it is. I don't get the Mann commentaries, and the transfers aren't so hot, but I don't care.