DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Edited for Wal-Mart ??!?!?!?

Old 08-20-06, 08:40 PM
  #1  
Cool New Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 26
Edited for Wal-Mart ??!?!?!?

Watched a Wal-Mart purchased widescreen DVD of RV last night.

Two scenes were EDITED !! ! ! !

-When Bob gasses up the RV (gas nozzle between his legs)
and
-When the dog urinates on Todd

My brother said that Wal-Mart will not sell DVDs unless certain inappropiate scenes are edited.

Is this true ? Are DVDs purchased at Wal-Mart EDITED ?!?!?!??!?!
mars396 is offline  
Old 08-20-06, 08:52 PM
  #2  
Moderator
 
Groucho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Posts: 70,759
Wow, if those bastards will edit a masterpiece like RV where will they draw the line?
Groucho is offline  
Old 08-20-06, 08:57 PM
  #3  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: WA State
Posts: 385
How the hell can Wal-Mart EDIT a dvd?! I know they do it with CDs, but for a DVD? That's just ridiculous!
Harold Wazzu is offline  
Old 08-20-06, 09:05 PM
  #4  
DVD Talk Legend
 
dsa_shea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Tulsa, Oklahoma
Posts: 19,587
Originally Posted by mars396
Watched a Wal-Mart purchased widescreen DVD of RV last night.

Two scenes were EDITED !! ! ! !

-When Bob gasses up the RV (gas nozzle between his legs)
and
-When the dog urinates on Todd

My brother said that Wal-Mart will not sell DVDs unless certain inappropiate scenes are edited.

Is this true ? Are DVDs purchased at Wal-Mart EDITED ?!?!?!??!?!
I've never heard of this happening at Wal-mart. And since they carry South Park (unedited) it is very unlikely. Now, are you going by someone else saying that these two scenes were missing or did you actually see them yourself when the movie was in the theaters?
dsa_shea is offline  
Old 08-20-06, 09:17 PM
  #5  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Lower Beaver, Iowa
Posts: 10,522
"RV" was rated PG. Look at the number of R-rated and even unrated films Wal-Mart carries, including "Badder Santa."

No, "RV" was not edited for Wal-Mart. Your brother is full of shit, and you can tell him Mr. Salty said so.
Mr. Salty is offline  
Old 08-20-06, 09:18 PM
  #6  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: knoxville, tn
Posts: 1,600
...seeing RV in the theatres and then watching it again on DVD? ::shudder::

Seriously, how were the scenes edited? Were they taken out completely, or what?
canaryfarmer is offline  
Old 08-20-06, 09:42 PM
  #7  
DVD Talk Legend
 
EdTheRipper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Rhode Island
Posts: 14,456
Originally Posted by mars396
My brother said that Wal-Mart will not sell DVDs unless certain inappropiate scenes are edited.

Is this true ? Are DVDs purchased at Wal-Mart EDITED ?!?!?!??!?!
Your brother's wrong. Wal-Mart doesn't sell edited dvds. Shit, I bought a copy of Basic Instinct out of the dump bin there...much worse than RV.
EdTheRipper is offline  
Old 08-20-06, 10:14 PM
  #8  
DVD Talk Legend
 
stingermck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: NC
Posts: 15,135
Yeah I use to work there in electronics. Contrary to some popular belief, they do not "edit", or sell edited movies. Add me to the Bullshit list, and lets me done.
stingermck is offline  
Old 08-20-06, 10:15 PM
  #9  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Maxflier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 11,694
I have a friend at work who buys his (fool screen) DVD's from Wal-Mart because "they edit them" like they do with the CD's. I just laughed to myself when he told me that, you should hear some of the other dren this dude says sometimes...
Maxflier is offline  
Old 08-20-06, 10:23 PM
  #10  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 488
Originally Posted by Maxflier
I have a friend at work who buys his (fool screen) DVD's from Wal-Mart because "they edit them" like they do with the CD's. I just laughed to myself when he told me that, you should hear some of the other dren this dude says sometimes...
...but your friend is right. They are edited, by about 40% of what was seen in theaters.
John*D is offline  
Old 08-20-06, 11:04 PM
  #11  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Drexl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 15,987
Some of the music DVDs are indeed edited. If you look at the sticker with the barcode, it will say "EDITED" if this is the case.
Drexl is offline  
Old 08-20-06, 11:13 PM
  #12  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Posts: 2,456
Originally Posted by Drexl
Some of the music DVDs are indeed edited. If you look at the sticker with the barcode, it will say "EDITED" if this is the case.
That's all their CDs. Walmart doesn't carry anything that's explicit when it comes to music, which is really funny since they do carry R-rated movies and M-rated video games, which will often contain explicit versions of songs, plus the obviously adult content of the film itself.
NitroJMS is offline  
Old 08-20-06, 11:20 PM
  #13  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Drexl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 15,987
Originally Posted by NitroJMS
That's all their CDs. Walmart doesn't carry anything that's explicit when it comes to music, which is really funny since they do carry R-rated movies and M-rated video games, which will often contain explicit versions of songs, plus the obviously adult content of the film itself.
Yeah, there must be some group that protects films that isn't there for music. MPAA? DGA? WGA? All of those?
Drexl is offline  
Old 08-20-06, 11:26 PM
  #14  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: a mile high, give or take a few feet
Posts: 13,381
Actually, I had bought Metallica's Cunning Stunts video, which was edited. I didn't notice the "edited" marking on the dvd sticker before I grabbed it. I don't know if this was due to being at Wal-Mart, or if Metallica does this often. Of course, this was many, many moons ago, so their policy may have changed.
mndtrp is offline  
Old 08-21-06, 12:01 AM
  #15  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Josh-da-man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: The Bible Belt
Posts: 30,645
Wal-Mart (or any other retailer, for that matter) can't edit any CD or DVD.

They can refuse to carry certain titles; and the publishers may then decide to release a version that doesn't offend Wal-Mart's sensibilities, but they can't just pull scenes from DVDs.

The CDs they carry that say "edited for content" means that the record label made a seperate CD for Wal-Mart (and any other blue-nosed retailer) to sell because they're too pussy to carry a CD with a parental advisory. Wal-Mart doesn't "edit" them themselves. Aside from being physically impossible, it would also be illegal for them to open up new CDs, make digital recordings of them, edit the recordings, then burn new copies to sell.

Last edited by Josh-da-man; 08-21-06 at 12:06 AM.
Josh-da-man is online now  
Old 08-21-06, 04:25 AM
  #16  
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 108
Walmart use to refuse to carry 'Unrated' dvd's but they changed the rules a few years ago. I am 100% sure they do not edit dvd's, maybe you got a defective one?
dvdlover631 is offline  
Old 08-21-06, 04:55 AM
  #17  
DVD Talk Legend
 
EdTheRipper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Rhode Island
Posts: 14,456
Originally Posted by mndtrp
Actually, I had bought Metallica's Cunning Stunts video, which was edited. I didn't notice the "edited" marking on the dvd sticker before I grabbed it. I don't know if this was due to being at Wal-Mart, or if Metallica does this often. Of course, this was many, many moons ago, so their policy may have changed.

It hasn't. I bought the Eminem Anger Management dvd there. I didn't even notice the word "edit" anywhere on the packaging. I realized it only when I went to watch it. About 30 seconds into the first song, I figured it out.
EdTheRipper is offline  
Old 08-21-06, 06:03 AM
  #18  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Vipper II's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Abingdon, MD
Posts: 3,155
Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Wal-Mart (or any other retailer, for that matter) can't edit any CD or DVD.

They can refuse to carry certain titles; and the publishers may then decide to release a version that doesn't offend Wal-Mart's sensibilities, but they can't just pull scenes from DVDs.

The CDs they carry that say "edited for content" means that the record label made a seperate CD for Wal-Mart (and any other blue-nosed retailer) to sell because they're too pussy to carry a CD with a parental advisory. Wal-Mart doesn't "edit" them themselves. Aside from being physically impossible, it would also be illegal for them to open up new CDs, make digital recordings of them, edit the recordings, then burn new copies to sell.
Exactly. I don't understand why so many people assume that Wal-Mart makes all of the changes.
Vipper II is offline  
Old 08-21-06, 10:28 AM
  #19  
Cool New Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 26
Please read my post; I never even suggested that Wal-Mart is opening, editing, and re-shrinkwrapping DVDs – that is just silly. I am merely pointing out that a DVD that was purchased does not contain (at least) two scenes that were seen in theatres.

The scene when the dog urinates on Todd is obviously edited, as the dog starts to raise its rear leg there is a fade-to-black and a second or two of black screen, like a commercial break on a TV show DVD.

If not “Edited for Wal-Mart”, then the producers of this film have edited it for the DVD presentation, which is not all that uncommon these days. Perhaps they realized the kid appeal of this film, and took out two scenes that parents were upset about ??? Am I the only person here who noticed these missing scenes ?!?!?!?
mars396 is offline  
Old 08-21-06, 11:06 AM
  #20  
DVD Talk Legend
 
matome's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: NY
Posts: 12,304
I definitely felt something had been cut from the dog scene since I saw it in the theaters, but I couldn't remember. Guess they did. I didn't remember the gas pump one at all. Surprised they didn't put the edited for content thing at the beginning, or maybe that's not done anymore?
matome is offline  
Old 08-21-06, 11:15 AM
  #21  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: The city with no sports championships...Cleveland
Posts: 2,109
ive never bought an edited cd or dvd (if they exist??) and will never do so.
paulringodaman is offline  
Old 08-21-06, 12:28 PM
  #22  
Cool New Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 22
Considering Wal-Mart has commercials advertising the unrated version of "Scary Movie 4," I doubt they would consider touching "RV."
PikeBishop is offline  
Old 08-21-06, 12:47 PM
  #23  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Sugar Land, TX
Posts: 14,320
Originally Posted by PikeBishop
Considering Wal-Mart has commercials advertising the unrated version of "Scary Movie 4," I doubt they would consider touching "RV."
The public shouldn't consider touching "RV" either.
cdollaz is offline  
Old 08-21-06, 02:22 PM
  #24  
DVD Talk Legend
 
The Valeyard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Building attractions one theme park at a time.
Posts: 10,526
I'm callin' shinanagins!
The Valeyard is offline  
Old 08-21-06, 04:05 PM
  #25  
DVD Talk Reviewer
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: NY
Posts: 3,364
Never seen it in theaters, never seen it on DVD. And I never will see this film. But I can already guarantee you that this isn't anything weird. If there was an edit, it was overall and not just for Wal-Mart. I can't tell you how many completely family un-friendly TV shows on DVD and movies I've purchased at a Wal-Mart.
mzupeman2 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.