Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

The Killer Criterion - is it still worth it?

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 08-13-06, 11:38 PM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is it still worth holding onto this dvd with all the other editions out their plus the one announced by tarantino and the Weinstein company thats coming out?

Cause I have a sealed one in my collection and iv been wondering wether i should sell it or not?
Old 08-14-06, 12:25 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What's this about a new disc coming out?
Old 08-14-06, 12:52 AM
Suspended

here you go:

http://www.zap2it.com/movies/news/za...,4190417.story

http://www.panandscan.com/news/show/...ian_Cinema/981

http://www.darkhorizons.com/news06/060524c.php
Old 08-14-06, 08:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What is the purpose of a sealed DVD?

Anyway, the Criterion Killer was never worth it once it left store shelves. There have been plenty of options since it went out of print for much cheaper than the Criterion one was when it WAS available. The only thing the Criterion disc really offered was a banner and a little number on the side of the DVD.
Old 08-14-06, 08:36 AM

The Criterion disc has an exclusive commentary and 5 delted scenes that I don't think have showed up on any other disc yet. Having said that, I've never understood how high the prices for this have gone.
Old 08-14-06, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by welb25
The Criterion disc has an exclusive commentary and 5 delted scenes that I don't think have showed up on any other disc yet. Having said that, I've never understood how high the prices for this have gone.
True, but I assure you that's not what people were paying $200-$250 for over the $10 HK Region 0 discs.
Old 08-14-06, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by PixyJunket
What is the purpose of a sealed DVD?
The only reason to keep a sealed DVD is for collection purposes or higher re-sale value, of course. So, keeping this depends on how important it is for you to collect CC discs. Since it seems important to you, my advice to you is to keep the sealed CC version and buy (or rent?) the new version for viewing purposes.

The sealed CC version should always have SOME re-sale value for the CC fans out there...
Old 08-14-06, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by nycbrent

The sealed CC version should always have SOME re-sale value for the CC fans out there...
Until Criterion re-releases it.
Old 08-14-06, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Well, I never got the DVD, but the deleted scenes and commentary are on the 3 disc CC LD along with some other stuff like a student film by Woo and a bunch of trailers.

I hold onto it because there is not a huge market for it. If it were worth $100 I would probably sell it as I am not someone who has to have commentary's, etc. I mainly want the film, If it came out on HD-DVD I would probably pick it up again.
Old 08-14-06, 12:52 PM
Political Exile

Received 481 Likes on 317 Posts
I listed my copy on half.com last year for $200 and it sold within a day or two.
Old 08-14-06, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by naitram
Until Criterion re-releases it.

That will never happen as they have lost the rights to it...

The prices have gone down on ebay due to bootlegs surfacing up lately...
Old 08-14-06, 04:02 PM

Buy when it's cheap - sell when it's hot!

And I bet it's now as hot as it's going to get. Unless it means something special to you. And the "unopened" angle just might get you extra $$$$$

As far as the value of it on your shelf, go watch the 30 Year Old Virgin... ;-)
Old 08-14-06, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Dan325ci
That will never happen as they have lost the rights to it...

The prices have gone down on ebay due to bootlegs surfacing up lately...

never say never....that title and hard boiled get licensed by someone diffrent every few years...if criterion really wanted to do it they could....they stated not long ago that they were going to be doing a Salo re-release...and thats the A-1 all time most expensive dvd to buy.
Old 08-14-06, 08:04 PM
Suspended

plus! they found over 50 minutes of lost footage of Salo in Italy. Also I heard their is/was a remastered print with the lost footage showing at the Venice Film Festival. And their is a interview by the Criterion CEO or some other top brass inwhich he said they are trying to gain the rights back for Salo

Here is the link about the lost footage, sorry but its in italian.

http://archivio.corriere.it/archiveD..._060812020.xml

all signs are pointing at a re-release all that is left is for them to get the rights.
Old 08-14-06, 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by Harry Lime
all signs are pointing at a re-release all that is left is for them to get the rights.
That's the hard part. Getting together various interviews, documentaries and commentaries as well as cleaning up the transfer is relatively easy compared to the legal trouble these companies have to go through in order to secure the rights to a film, especially one they had the rights to but then lost.
Old 08-15-06, 06:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 254 Likes on 180 Posts
Originally Posted by Harry Lime
plus! they found over 50 minutes of lost footage of Salo in Italy.
I don't think I could bear to watch 50 more seconds of Salo, much less 50 minutes.
Old 08-15-06, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 263 Likes on 191 Posts
I would sell it, unless you are a collector. There are several versions out there that have better transfers and sound. I have a French DVD that includes an extended cut with the deleted scenes. So there are other versions with the deleted scenes... Personally I don't get why someone would keep them sealed and not watch them. Their are other investments that have way better payoffs.
Old 08-15-06, 12:07 PM

its best to sell these things either when a director/star has a new film out, when a similar film comes out, when a dvd rerelease is announced and such footage wont be on a new dvd.

look at how the prices of supergirl shot up since superman returns came out and it looks unlikely that version will be part of any forthcoming sm set.
Old 08-16-06, 12:09 AM

1. Is there any reason, besides value, that you're holding on to it? (assume not since it's sealed)
2. Do you think it will ever be worth much more money? (I personally don't think it could go up much more)
3. Do you think it could go down in value? (my answer: yep, way down)

If your answers agree with mine: SELL
Old 08-16-06, 07:41 AM
Suspended

The only reason it is sealed is because I haven't gotten around to watching it. I bought it off of amazon marketplace a month ago and I never unwrap a DVD until Im gonna watch it.
Old 08-16-06, 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by Josh Z
I don't think I could bear to watch 50 more seconds of Salo, much less 50 minutes.
amen to that one. I've watched many a "difficult" movie, but i just had a hard time with this one. didn't enjoy it and would NEVER pay the kind of money its going for right now (the original one...)

i can't imagine another 50 minutes of this!!