Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Goo-Gone on TV on DVD cases

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-06, 04:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Goo-Gone on TV on DVD cases

I have a very sticky situation. A little while back, I was cataloguing my DVDs and going through a lot of the new ones that I had purchased. I realized that I was out of room in my DVD cabinets so I pulled some of my TV on DVD cases and stacked them in front of one of the cabinets until I can find a place for them. Well, recently, I noticed that a couple of the DVD cases had some kind of weird texture to them. They were DVDs that I had let someone borrow and thought maybe something happened to them while he had them. I didn't look any closer at them.

Well, yesterday, I decided to actually watch some of these DVDs that I had stacked up. I picked up a copy of Smallville and the case inside wouldn't come out. Upon further inspection I realized that there was something sticky all over the outside of it. I went back to my DVD cabinet and saw that an unopened Pepsi can was sitting above and syrup was on the top of the cabinet. It's only in spots, which is weird, but somehow it had dripped down and got all over a lot of my DVD cases. I figured I could just wipe them down with a paper towel and water but that only started to remove the artwork and the syrup was still there!.

So my question is, has anyone used Goo-Gone on these cases? I know it's supposed to work with regular DVD cases to remove sticker residue and such, but they are plastic. I would hope that Goo-Gone could remove the syrup but not damage the case. I thought about trying some on the Smallville case where I had already rubbed a little of the artwork off the corners, but I'd rather not do any more damage. One of these cases is my Buffy Season 4 set that I'm trying to sell since I purchased the Chosen Collection. I don't think I can sell it with syrup on it or damaged artwork. In fact I had already put it on e-bay once (before I noticed the syrup all over it). I'm now glad that it didn't sell. The buyer would have probably been pretty upset.

If anyone has any tips, please let me know.

Thanks
Old 08-07-06, 08:01 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: In a small pocket universe hoping to someday become a Moderator Emeritus at DVDTalk.com!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think that you may have a bit of a problem here as the cardboard casings you are referring to are porous whereas keep cases made of plastic are not.

I would suggest lightly dabbing the affected areas with something like rubbing alcohol which should dissolve the syrup and evaporate quickly enough so as to not leave a mottled or water damaged look.

If you use rubbing alcohol, do so SPARINGLY.
Old 08-07-06, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

While we're on the subject, where can one find Goo-Gone? I've been needing to get some for a couple of my DVD cases...
Old 08-07-06, 08:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Anubis2005X
While we're on the subject, where can one find Goo-Gone? I've been needing to get some for a couple of my DVD cases...
Staples, Office Max, Office Depot maybe .. or try a froogle search.
Old 08-07-06, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by pilot
Staples, Office Max, Office Depot maybe .. or try a froogle search.
Great, thanks!
Old 08-07-06, 09:26 AM

Zippo lighter fluid. Seriously. Nothing works as good for me and doesn't damage cardboard covers. Just removed a year old price sticker off a slipcover with no problems this past weekend.

Everyone thinks I'm full of shit every time I post this on some DVD board.
Old 08-07-06, 09:30 AM
Needs to Contact Admin about multiple accounts

Saw some Goo Gone in Target yesterday
Old 08-07-06, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would spray some goo gone on a paper towel and gently rub over the sticky spot. Works everytime for me. Walmart also carries it...$3 for a bottle.
Old 08-07-06, 10:00 AM

Oddly enough, I have had success using Goo-Gone up unti just recently. Lately, a lot of the Warner Bros. HD DVDs have been leaving sticky residue once the security sticker has been removed. It has taken quite a bit of Goo-Gone to remove it, but it has also clouded the plastic a bit.

Aside from Goo-Gone and Zippo lighter fluid, does anyone else have any suggestions. I think in this case, something less chemical is in order.
Old 08-07-06, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Here is a link to a thread I started about cleaning up some old books. Maybe one of these suggestions will work for you

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=288694
Old 08-07-06, 10:22 AM

WD-40 works wonders for me
Old 08-07-06, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,742 Likes on 1,889 Posts
Be careful with Goo-Gone on paper products. It will occasionally remove ink, and leave big white blotches.

I have successfully used Goo-Gone to remove stickers from the covers of books (both hardcover dustjackets and paperback covers), but once attempted to remove a mailing label from a magazine cover and it ate the ink right off of the cover.
Old 08-07-06, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts
Another vote for Zippo lighter fluid.
Old 08-07-06, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts
The only non-chemical procedure I've had any success with is heat. I once left some used DVDs in the car while we kept shopping and it was pretty warm out and it really softened the glue of the pricetags on the cases. I've had some success using a hairdryer also.

!Just be sure to remove the discs and any other booklets and set them aside when using a hairdryer or the hot car method!
Old 08-07-06, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts
I use the spray on OOps for really sticky situations. Most of the time I use the security stickers that come wit the case to remove excess glue and adhesive. I pull one of the solid security stickers off (not the perforated one on the top but the ones on the sides and bottom) and then reapply it over and over to the sticky area. After a few times it will slowly pull apart the adhesive and then remove it from the case a bit at a time. This has been my best method for removing adhesive. Sometimes you might have to use more than one security sticker to do it and sometimes it can be a lengthy process (5-10 minutes) but no dvd cases will be harmed in the process. I hope this helps.
Old 08-07-06, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Sorry for a second post but I didnt realize that you were talking about cleaning TV on dvd cases. For those you could use a baby wipe and gently dab away the sticky stuff left behind from the Pepsi or whatever other source. The wipes are wet enough to help clean but not so much that they will soak your cases or digipacks.
Old 08-07-06, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I've also had success using Zippo lighter fluid. I tried it last year after someone on this board recommended it.
Old 08-07-06, 01:36 PM

i found goo be gone at my local grocery store.
Old 08-07-06, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Soda cans on top of DVD cabinets...
Old 08-07-06, 01:51 PM

Mine is not because of soda, but rather the security stickers. So thanks for these tips! Now I don't have to ask.
Old 08-07-06, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by RedBull7&83
Mine is not because of soda, but rather the security stickers. So thanks for these tips! Now I don't have to ask.
Just use the security stickers to remove the gunk they leave behind. Sounds kind of silly doesn't it?
Old 08-07-06, 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by speedy1961
I think that you may have a bit of a problem here as the cardboard casings you are referring to are porous whereas keep cases made of plastic are not.

I would suggest lightly dabbing the affected areas with something like rubbing alcohol which should dissolve the syrup and evaporate quickly enough so as to not leave a mottled or water damaged look.

If you use rubbing alcohol, do so SPARINGLY.
I think you are right. I tried goo-gone and it seemed to mess up the case. I tried rubbing alcohol, but now the case is being eaten away. That may still be the goo gone, though. A lot of the cases, the syrup seemed still wet enough to wipe away. But a few of them, the syrup soaked in.

Originally Posted by Sabrett
Soda cans on top of DVD cabinets...
Yeah, I know. I actually didn't tell the full story. I figured everyone would think I was silly. The Pepsi can is actually about 9 years old. It was one of the collector Pepsi cans from the Star Wars special edition in 1997. I drank most of them, but I had one left that wasn't opened. Somehow it ended up on my DVD cabinet. I knew when I decided to leave it unopened that it would get me someday, but I had forgotten about it. It just eventually came apart of my Star Wars collection and I didn't think anything about it. Luckily it wasn't with the rest of my Star Wars collection . At least my DVDs weren't damaged, just the cases.

Thanks for all the advice.
Old 08-07-06, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by obidawsn
... The Pepsi can is actually about 9 years old. It was one of the collector Pepsi cans from the Star Wars special edition in 1997. . .
Yet another reason to hate the Special Edition revisions!! If George Lucas had just left the Original Trilogy well enough alone, this senseless tragedy could have been avoided! Damn you, Luca$!! You raped my DVD cabinet!!