Reload this Page >

Edgar Allan Poe: 11 Tales Hosted By Christopher Lee

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 08-02-06, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It looks like BFS is putting out a set of Poe tales "hosted by Christopher Lee" on 9/19 ($49.99). I wasn't sure what this was, and then found this site:

http://www.mjsimpson.co.uk/leelostepisodeguide.html

Sounds pretty interesting... I'll probably check this out. Now I just have to wait for some stores to put this up for preorder.
Old 08-02-06, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks for posting this. I'll definitely look forward to this set.
Old 08-02-06, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BFS has already sent out review copies of this four-disc set. It contains all 13 episodes listed at the site that bboisvert referenced, but the 13th episode, Biographical Portrait, is listed as a bonus program. I haven't watched it closely, but a quick viewing shows that the image quality is soft and, for lack of a better phrase, "low res"--as is typical of all of BFS' releases. This is an exciting release, though.

Old 09-26-06, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I just watched Disc #1 of this set (via Netflix). Yikes... I don't even know what to say. I certainly appreciate the effort that was put into this, but it doesn't work at all.

The acting is of the level of a school play and the obvious low-budget nature of the whole production is painfully evident at nearly every moment. Obvious foreign actors are badly overdubbed. Even worse is the one or two that they had speak English and *didn't* overdub. There was one actress in the 2nd story that was speaking with such a heavy accent, you couldn't understand her.

Sound production is terrible -- with open mics catching every little sound (even by extras off-screen). Music is overbearing and cheesy. It's just a very clunky, amateur production. Seems like some sort of tax writeoff by some foreign companies.

It's an interesting curiosity and probably a reasonable rental for horror completists or major fans of Poe or Lee. But it isn't "good". And it's *definitely* not worth $50.
Old 09-26-06, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Damn....and I was looking forward to this. Thanks for the shout-out and I think my library can live without this snack.
Old 09-26-06, 05:43 PM

Yeah, I would have been interested in this if the price wasn't so high. $20, perhaps.
Old 09-26-06, 11:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's only $25 at DDD.