Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

How's your laserdisc collection?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-06, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by matome
I was always debating whether to drop the $50+ on that Mimic DTS as that flick has always been one of my fave guilty pleasures and the R1 DVD is non-anamorphic anyway. That DTS must kick some serious ass.
Yeah, it is seriously great. The movie is one of my guilty pleasures too. It ended up costing me just under $40 shipped.

I also got a new player today! Checked Craigslist a few days ago and some guy was selling a Mitsubishi M-V7057, which is a clone of the coveted Pioneer CLD-704. He was selling his whole gear and had a couple of interested buyers for the whole thing but they both backed out at the last minute. I had been checking with him for the last couple of days, expressing my interest. Went over today, bought it and his 50 LDs (nothing spectacular) for $250. It is in excellent condition and came with the original manual and remote. He obviously took great care of everything because it was all in great shape. I've been putting it through it's paces today and it is performing like a champ.

He was pretty bittersweet about letting his collection go but was very happy that it was coming into a good home with someone who can appreciate it. Happy times.
Old 08-06-06, 03:38 PM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does anyone know where I can get a laserdisc (or any other format) of a laserdisc collection titled, "The Golden Age of Television?" I'm specifically looking for the television versions of Rod Serling's "Patterns" and "Requiem for a Heavyweight" which were contained on these laserdisc's.

As far as I know the laserdisc's are the only available copies of the television version's. (not the big screen versions on DVD)
Old 04-27-07, 01:39 AM

Sorry for the bump, but I couldn't believe the closing price for this Laserdisc:
http://cgi.ebay.com/MISSION-IMPOSSIB...QQcmdZViewItem
I'm beginning to think I need to sell my collection.
Old 04-27-07, 02:07 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by ScottsDvds
Sorry for the bump, but I couldn't believe the closing price for this Laserdisc:
http://cgi.ebay.com/MISSION-IMPOSSIB...QQcmdZViewItem
I'm beginning to think I need to sell my collection.

Holy crap, I mean I never bought the DVD of Mission Impossible because my AC-3 LD was awesome, but I did upgrade to HD-DVD versions. I can't fathom that disc being that good. It has to just be its collectible nature.
Old 04-27-07, 02:25 AM

MI 2 was never released in the US on LD, that's probably why it's going for so much.

fitprod
Old 04-27-07, 12:35 PM

yep. i think ld production ended in mid 2000 in america. things like end of days, sleepy hollow and bringing out the dead were very late. but in japan they kept going for a bit longer. but my guess is they did no more than a few 1000 near the end. never saw the point of buying jap ones myself. those subtitles are annoying.

the most i saw for a ld was the chinese rental release of song of the south which sold for like 900 bucks. the only disc release without subs and limited to around 600 copies.
Old 04-27-07, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

completely nonexistant. Never owned a laser disk. Too expensive.
Old 04-27-07, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by speedyray
Holy crap, I mean I never bought the DVD of Mission Impossible because my AC-3 LD was awesome, but I did upgrade to HD-DVD versions. I can't fathom that disc being that good. It has to just be its collectible nature.
Yeah, it's definitely for the rarity. The seller says that later LD's have picture and sound that's far better than the DVD, but that's not really true. Sound, most likely better than the DVD. Picture? No way a non-anamorphic transfer is going to look better than a new DVD on a 16x9 TV. On a 4:3 set, it's possible, but I still preferred the DVD versions on most of my dual format titles before I got a widescreen set in 1999.
Old 04-27-07, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

All that I've got left is This is Spinal Tap: Criterion (which I also have the DVD version of), The Return of Spinal Tap, and the original cuts of the Star Wars Trilogy (THX faces).

Everything else is DUST IN THE WIIIIIND.
Old 04-27-07, 01:16 PM

The MI 2 disc has a good picture for Laserdisc, but it's nowhere near the DVD's picture. I bought it for $60.00 shipped when it came out. I also bought a bunch of Japanese Laserdiscs from Laser Exchange for $24.99 that include The Sixth Sense, Titan AE, Scream 3, Fight Club, The Beach, JC Vampires, X-men, and many more. I don't think I watched any of them more than once.
Old 04-27-07, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

MI 2 was not one of those Squeeze LD (basically anamorphic) was it. That is the only way I could see the video being comparable with DVD.

Link for the curious:
http://www.mindspring.com/~laserguru/squeeze.html
Old 04-27-07, 02:41 PM

MI 2 wasn't a Squeeze LD, the only Squeeze LD I have is T2 and I wasn't impressed with the picture quality.
Old 04-27-07, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
That $395 ending bid is way out of line for the disc's actual worth. I'm guessing shill bidders at work there.