Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

New Babylon 5 coming in 2007!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-07, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet
I am at the posts here but it's not going to stop me from heading over to Best Buy this afternoon to buy it.
And that's precisely the attitude to have. I even bought my own copy, though they gave me one to review. Gotta support the cause.

My guess is that JMS's recent batch of success may prove to be a greater roadblock to more of these than sales of this DVD.

das
Old 07-31-07, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice little comic in there about G'Kar and the doctor by JMS. The sticker said it was a Best Buy exclusive. That'd be a shame if people on Amazon got screwed outta this...
Old 07-31-07, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Anubis2005X
Nice little comic in there about G'Kar and the doctor by JMS. The sticker said it was a Best Buy exclusive. That'd be a shame if people on Amazon got screwed outta this...
Hmmm... I bought it at BB and didn't get a comic.
Old 07-31-07, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Hmmm... I bought it at BB and didn't get a comic.
It's the only insert in the DVD case. Sure it's not there? It's pretty cool, so maybe you should get it exchanged?
Old 07-31-07, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 483 Likes on 354 Posts
I just got mine in the mail today - I'm going to put in in the DVD player in about 20 minutes!

NEW B5!!! (Great, good, mediocre - IT'S NEW B5! Hopefully just the beginning of a continuing DVD series - and maybe a multi disc story arc!)
Old 07-31-07, 11:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Just watched it and found it to be pretty damn good (but WAY too much talking! More action!).
Old 08-01-07, 12:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, I just finished it, and you know what? I liked it.

It's not classic B5. The budget is too limited - the cast too small, and the action almost nonexistent.

What it is is very well written, very intelligent, very funny in spots (I love Straczynski's humor), and very touching (the tip of the hat to Biggs and Katsulas almost brought a tear to my eye - even though I knew it was coming).

In a way it kind of reminds me of the original pilot, The Gathering. Not in style, but in potential for future development. Neither were perfect - their flaws, while both glaring, were almost opposites - but both were entertaining and well worth watching.

If Joe can just squeeze another million out of Warners for the 2nd it could be REALLY good.

I'd just like to see a commitment from Warners to, say, 10 DVD's (OK, at least 5), so Joe can work up a nice story arc to tie them all together and bring back the classic B5 feel.

Still, even though it isn't what we hoped it would be, it was REALLY nice to see some new B5. Hard to believe it's been almost 10 years since the show ended.

Last edited by B5Erik; 08-01-07 at 07:58 AM.
Old 08-01-07, 03:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Just watched mine too. The first story was a bit meh, but I loved the Sheridan segment. Really left me wanting more. So I'd say Joe hit 50/50 on this one. Definately worth a purchase if you're a fan.

It's strange though. Out of the four disks I bought today, I think Hot Fuzz was the only one with an insert. And it was just a plug for high-def dvd. Maybe the studios are phasing them out?

Last edited by Panda Phil; 08-01-07 at 03:36 AM.
Old 08-01-07, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

What's up with the menu for this? Am I right in assuming that "Voices in the Dark" plays both stories, while "Over Here" and "Over There" just play the individual ones? It's kind of confusing.
Old 08-01-07, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

What's up with the menu for this? Am I right in assuming that "Voices in the Dark" plays both stories, while "Over Here" and "Over There" just play the individual ones? It's kind of confusing.
Yeah, that was kinda stupid.
Old 08-01-07, 03:31 PM

Surprised no one posted this. i was watching the babylon 5 panal from the San Diego Comic Con on my 360. Someone asked JMS if there is a new series coming. JMS said he was hoping to make an announcement at the con but due to it not being finalized he cannot but he said check his website in the next 1-2 months. So Maybe a new series is in the works? I certainly hope so!
Old 08-01-07, 04:06 PM

I have to wonder what JMS was thinking opening this new venue with a Lochley story. Her backstory and character arc were the least interesting (IMO) of any during the original run and without any b stories to speak of the first segment seemed to be an unfortunate way to launch this title.

That said, I loved the second piece and bought my two copies of the DVD to contribute to the cause. Both the Best Buy and Target in burbank were sold out when I went late last night and Fry's had to restock from one of their boxes. I hope we get more.
Old 08-01-07, 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by Anubis2005X
Yep, mine from Amazon came with no inserts
Old 08-01-07, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Mhepburn20
I have to wonder what JMS was thinking opening this new venue with a Lochley story. Her backstory and character arc were the least interesting (IMO) of any during the original run and without any b stories to speak of the first segment seemed to be an unfortunate way to launch this title.
Human characters are cheaper, and Garibaldi's story supposedly has a lot of effects, and Ivanova and Franklin ... Warner probably wanted him to test the waters with humans, and these were his only options. Still, I bet Zack could have been more interesting. It's a shame too, because I've met Tracy a few times, and she's great -- really smart and funny. It's not fun having to write that her performance was essentially terrible.

das
Old 08-01-07, 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by das Monkey
Human characters are cheaper, and Garibaldi's story supposedly has a lot of effects, and Ivanova and Franklin ... Warner probably wanted him to test the waters with humans, and these were his only options. Still, I bet Zack could have been more interesting. It's a shame too, because I've met Tracy a few times, and she's great -- really smart and funny. It's not fun having to write that her performance was essentially terrible.

das
That certainly makes sense to me although given the nature of the Lost Tales he also could have done a Marcus story prior to his arrival on B5 or either Lyta or Talia (Lyta during the missing years, Talia after the events of season 2). I've no doubt he is hesitant to use telepaths without mentioning or building to the telepath war, but still Lochley was a slightly unfortunate choice.

On a side note: I, too, have met Tracy and think she is wonderfully funny and a very gifted actress, but as you state, it didn't come through this time.
Old 08-01-07, 11:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think some of you are being a little harsh in your criticism of Tracy in TLT. I thought she was pretty good all things considered.

For a first DVD on a shoestring budget I thought they did a pretty good job with The Lost Tales. I'm just hoping we get more new DVD movies - with bigger budgets to at least do them on the scale of the series in terms of cast, sets, and effects.

And, IF they do continue the DVD "series," is there the slightest chance of Claudia Christian coming aboard? Or are there still too many hard feelings between her and Joe?
Old 08-02-07, 03:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,765 Likes on 1,907 Posts
Could someone give some information about the Best Buy exclusive comic book?

Namely --

1. Is it an original work, and not a reprint of one of the Babylon 5 comics DC published?
2. How many pages is it?
3. Did JMS write it?
4. Some details on the plot, and what it's about.

I'm not going to make it to a Best Buy until the weekend, so I hope the fuck they still have it in stock. The Best Buys near me tend to be really hit or miss on "exclusives" like this.
Old 08-07-07, 12:37 PM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 588 Likes on 336 Posts
I bought this last week and watched it over the weekend. It was great seeing new B5, but I agree with those here who say that this first half was boring and the second half only whetted our appetite. I want more B5!!

To answer Josh-da-man:

1. It is original.
2. It is only 4-5 pages
3. JMS wrote it
4. Very rough paraphrase:
Spoiler:
It shows Franklin preparing a small ship so he can take of alone to explore beyond the rim, and G'Kar shows up and says "you're not going alone - I'm coming with you!" and then a montage of them visiting other civilizations and leaving a legacy where their names are fondly remembered by all.
It was nice.

Last edited by Bandoman; 08-07-07 at 12:42 PM.
Old 08-07-07, 01:26 PM

I watched this last night. And I have to agree with most here. The second story was better than the first. Still great to see new B5. Bring on more WB. I hope we get to see a resolution to the Crusade story arc at some point.
Old 08-07-07, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,765 Likes on 1,907 Posts
Originally Posted by Bandoman
I bought this last week and watched it over the weekend. It was great seeing new B5, but I agree with those here who say that this first half was boring and the second half only whetted our appetite. I want more B5!!

To answer Josh-da-man:

1. It is original.
2. It is only 4-5 pages
3. JMS wrote it
4. Very rough paraphrase:
Spoiler:
It shows Franklin preparing a small ship so he can take of alone to explore beyond the rim, and G'Kar shows up and says "you're not going alone - I'm coming with you!" and then a montage of them visiting other civilizations and leaving a legacy where their names are fondly remembered by all.
It was nice.
Thanks for info.

I did manage to score this Saturday at Best Buy. They had, I think, four copies with the minicomic and a couple without it.

It was a nice little tribute to Andreas/G'Kar and Richard/Franklin, and I liked how it tied in with the Sheridan episode. They really should've included this in all copies of the DVD instead of just specially marked copies at one retailer.
Old 12-02-07, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Finally got around to watching this tonight. (I wanted to finish watching Crusade and Legend of the Rangers first).

I loved it! A couple of scenes just gave me chills (especially the opening scene where it goes back year by year, and it repeats the words that G'Kar once spoke). Anyone know if they're planning any more of these?