Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

New Babylon 5 coming in 2007!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-07, 09:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is shamelessly stolen from the Digital Bits

Also, Warner has released a few more details on their direct-to-DVD film Babylon 5: The Lost Tales, which is due on 7/31 (SRP $24.98). The film stars Bruce Boxleitner, Tracy Scoggins and Peter Woodward. The DVD will include the Straczynski Diaries, which the press release refers to as "a multi-part series of vignettes as filmed by J. Michael Straczynski as he documents every phase of pre-production, production and post-production for The Lost Tales. Viewers are given a first person, inside look at the creative process of making the Babylon 5 film." We'll post specs and cover art when they're available.

I am looking forward to the diaries! This is a must buy for me!
Old 04-25-07, 02:07 PM

i could not be more excited!!!!

b5 is the greatest tv show ever made!!!!
Old 04-26-07, 12:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 481 Likes on 353 Posts

Hey, with a username like mine would you expect any other reaction?

I'm glad we have a date, cover art - the whole bit! Now I just want that Garibaldi story!

B5 IS BACK, BABY!!!!
Old 04-30-07, 10:39 PM

is that tracy scoggins, bleh
Want Ivanova!
Old 05-06-07, 12:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Why isn't this titled "Volume 1" or something?
I thought "The Lost Tales" was going to be a series of dvds.
Old 05-06-07, 01:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by fargus
Want Ivanova!
Lets just keep our sexual fantasies to ourselves, shall we?

Originally Posted by garmonbozia
Studio probably doesn't wanna confuse the proles.

Last edited by Panda Phil; 05-06-07 at 01:09 AM.
Old 05-07-07, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by garmonbozia
Further tales will depend on the success of this one. But I agree that a "Volume 1" would have looked better and let people know to expect more down the line (assuming the sales are there to support more).
Old 06-07-07, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 383 Likes on 244 Posts
The promo trailer for B5:TLT is up:
http://babylon5.warnerbros.com/

Yeah, I'm a big B5 fan. What can I say.... it looks beautiful.

The station w/new CGI... wow!
Old 06-07-07, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have all the shows and movies and spin-off series. I can not wait for this new addition. I even have the paperbacks and most of the action figures, at least the ones I like. I also have a coldcast bust of G'Kar, one of my favorites.
Old 06-08-07, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Chew
$24.98 SRP for a 75 minute runtime and only one extra. Hmmmm
Columbia House just listed the new Babylon 5: The Lost Tales disc. So, those of us who use CH to get cheap DVDs will be able to get it for about $5, as usual.

Looking forward to it.
Old 06-24-07, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 383 Likes on 244 Posts
They've added new production videos to the http://babylon5.warnerbros.com website:

That Minbari on the left sure bears a striking resemblance to Bill Mumy...

If it is Mumy reprising Lennier, there's no mention of it at imdb.com. I note, interestingly, that the actor list has been updated to include Peter Jurasik, Andreas Katsulas, and Richard Biggs - albeit via archive footage. Since Katsulas and Biggs have both passed away since B5 wapped, that's the only way we're gonna get to see G'Kar and Franklin.

And I'm glad Christopher Franke is doing the music. Evan Chen's work, while perhaps appropriate for Crusade, didn't sit well with me.
Old 06-24-07, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second Star on the right, and straight on til' morning...
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Any way to add it to my netflix queue? I can't come up with a search combination that brings it up to 'save'.
Old 06-24-07, 07:35 PM

Hope it works out for more movies.

I'm a big fan of the Valen character(check me username), Jeff Sinclair, I would love a lost tale where he's training the rangers, fill in some of his absence during the 2nd year of the show.
Old 06-25-07, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm looking forward to this, as I'm a B5 fan from Day 1.

However the characters in this one are lackluster at best. Hopefully the stories surrounding them are better than the characters themselves.

Love to see some Delynn, Londo, Vir, and Bester later on. And a Vorlon or two.
Old 06-25-07, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by cornflakeguy
However the characters in this one are lackluster at best.
Then you must have seen it already, right?

Because that's the only way you would know the characters are "lackluster at best".
Old 06-25-07, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Nice to see this selling well so far on Amazon. Hopefully we get more than just one!
Old 06-26-07, 08:32 AM

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by aintnosin
Then you must have seen it already, right?

Because that's the only way you would know the characters are "lackluster at best".

How about this...the acting in the trailer and green screen work looks about as bad as it can possible get. I still have high hopes for it (and I would kill to see a Bester movie before Walter gets much older) and will pick it up to support the series, but it does not look good.
Old 07-30-07, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Well, I've seen the 1st installment of B5: The Lost Tales. My quick thoughts on this return to the B5 universe:

Spoiler:

Obviously with the original sets destroyed, re-creating the interiors of B5 would be an expensive proposition, but they went with a lot of green screen, and sparse sets. I think shooting in HD made the green-screen scenes look more obvious (than I remember from the original show). There are some other effects-laden scenes where the money was well spent, and I did like the scenes in space of B5 and of the Furies. It's mainly 2 stories, one with Lochley dealing with something she never thought she'd have to contend with on B5, and the other deals with Sheridan on his way to B5 10 years after his ascension to his presidency and Galen shows up to provide some morsels for Sheridan to chew on. I don't think Scoggins was up to the task acting-wise in some of her scenes as JMS threw a ton of dialogue into both stories. Boxleitner's Sheridan had an odd sense of whimsy in some of his scenes. I did like how JMS dealt with G'kar and Stephen's place in the B5 universe.

Overall, I liked the return to B5, but I fear the budget limited what JMS could have done in the initial installment, but it's understandable if he were rationing the budget for the more effects-intensive stories to come.
Old 07-30-07, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've seen a couple of reviews and so far they've been a bit underwelming. As a fan I'm pretty much obligated to buy it, but I hope they have a bit more confidence (and money) in the next disk (assuming there is one of course).
Old 07-31-07, 07:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The first half of The Lost Tales is exceptionally dull. The second half is a bit better, but not by much.

It's obvious the limitations of cast and budget had a lot to do with it. I never felt like I was back on B5. Other than the door shapes, none of the sets (if you can actually call them that) felt like the old ones did.

The only two things that put a smile on my face was the Franklin/G'Kar reference and the thought that they're setting up a storyline for the future.
Old 07-31-07, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

It was definitely heartbreaking to have to review this.

I have my fingers crossed that none of the wires/forums pick it up, so people aren't discouraged from buying it. I keep seeing rave reviews posted to the newsgroup and on message boards, and while I wonder who these people are who think it's so awesome, I'm content to let their voice be heard louder than mine.

das
Old 07-31-07, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Looking forward to reading your review!
Old 07-31-07, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I am at the posts here but it's not going to stop me from heading over to Best Buy this afternoon to buy it.
Old 07-31-07, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well naturally fans are loathe to do or say anything that might discourage WB from supporting future productions. Mediocre B5 for many is better than no B5 at all.
Old 07-31-07, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by Panda Phil
Well naturally fans are loathe to do or say anything that might discourage WB from supporting future productions. Mediocre B5 for many is better than no B5 at all.
I agree with this statement. It's been too long with no new B5, so this disc is welcome, warts and all. I picked it up at BB today, but haven't watched it yet. I thought the packaged comic book was a nice way to give a send-off to the characters of G'Kar and Franklin. Here's hoping JMS gets greenlighted for more "lost tales" with a bigger cast and budget!

--John

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.