Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Point Break: Pure Adrenaline Edition ----> 10/03/2006

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-06, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bigalow only done a half hour or so commentary ( and that was only about how they rigged a camera for the beginning!) on Strange Days so to expect a full one for this might be dreaming, but it would have been an interesting listen.
Old 07-21-06, 02:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A Busey commentary would have been excellent.
Old 07-21-06, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 207 Posts
Originally Posted by NoirFan
Please elaborate.
Well let's just say that any chase through a residential neighborhood and through people's houses that has a guy throwing a DOG on the dude chasing him automatically gets points.
Old 07-21-06, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by bluetoast
Well let's just say that any chase through a residential neighborhood and through people's houses that has a guy throwing a DOG on the dude chasing him automatically gets points.
Classic stuff .. and coming from Point Break!! The audio track nails the chase too ... very nice.

I'm actually surprised (and not at the same time) at the level of interest in this rerelease. Unless the DD track is even close to the DTS track, I just don't see the value of upgrading. Extras could be nice, but I'd really need to see any reviews on the audio quality before taking another viewing of this explosive film the way it's meant to be seen .. and heard.
Old 07-22-06, 01:40 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by bluetoast

What made that scene even more memorable is after the dog is thrown at him, Utah gets it off by punting it like a football. Absolutely fucking classic.

And lets not forget such memorable lines like "Utah! Get me two!!" or "HEY! My names Johnny Utah!"

I'll definitely be picking this up.
Old 09-21-06, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Good news, I managed to obtain a copy early and I can tell you that the image for this dvd compared to the previous dvd is quite an improvement. The transfer used is of reference quality or pretty darn close to it, the colors are near picture perfect, the print is clean and free of artifacts and grain, and Fox has done wonders here with this release. I give it 5/5 for image quality and the audio has been improved upon as well and the extras are simply just great. Well worth the double-dip and upgrade!
Old 09-21-06, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

you work for fox?
Old 09-21-06, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by dvd_luver
Good news, I managed to obtain a copy early and I can tell you that the image for this dvd compared to the previous dvd is quite an improvement. The transfer used is of reference quality or pretty darn close to it, the colors are near picture perfect, the print is clean and free of artifacts and grain, and Fox has done wonders here with this release. I give it 5/5 for image quality and the audio has been improved upon as well and the extras are simply just great. Well worth the double-dip and upgrade!
Dude, not cool. I had no plans to dip again on this title... But if it's as nice as you say...
Old 09-21-06, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by animatedude
you work for fox?
No, I purchased this. It's well worth the double dip! I can't wait to read the reviews on it and comparisons with the previous dvd. I hope DVDbeaver does a review on the film over there or somebody does comparisons. This dvd is a huge improvement over the previous version. I can't see why anybody here would not want to double dip!
Old 09-21-06, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

dvd luver, did it come with a slipcase? I know you got it early was it through a website or "contacts"?
Old 09-21-06, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by jdslater1
dvd luver, did it come with a slipcase? I know you got it early was it through a website or "contacts"?
Yes, it comes with a typical glossy slipcase cover from FOX with the UPC number exposed on the back cover. The spine is different though than originally pictured, instead of the surfer image below the title it now has Swayze imaged on top, the title in the middle of course and Reeves on the bottom of the spine. The slipcover is identical to the front and back artwork. It also has disc art which features a big wave with the title centered near the bottom of the disc, and comes with an insert which folds out and has some info on the film inside. Very nice dvd and well done! To end all the speculation here, thank god for Ebay!
Old 09-21-06, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Cheers dvd luver for the extra info. For me this is a no-brainer, I never had an earlier edition so it's no double dipping for me.
A few people have mentioned on other forums about the japanese DTS edition, but I had an idea that the DD would be good for this and I would prefer to have those deleted scenes and docs.
Old 09-21-06, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Location: Rainy ass Seattle yes the weather sucks here, so do our sports teams.
"If you want the ultimate, you've got to be willing to pay the ultimate price. It's not tragic to die doing what you love. "

This shit is classic, and not to afraid to admit one of my favorite action movies.

This is definitely copped.
Old 09-21-06, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Not the greatest SS comparison ever attempted, but here goes:

Old 09-22-06, 07:52 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Looks pretty good to me. Thanks for doing the comparison.
Old 09-22-06, 08:01 AM

Thanks for the info dvd luver. I won't have to double-dip either since I've held on the previous versions. I can't wait for this one. It sounds great.
Old 09-22-06, 08:57 AM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
Will gladly upgrade this one -- can't wait!
Old 09-23-06, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Here is a review for the dvd!

http://dvdmg.com/pointbreakpureadrenaline.shtml
Old 09-23-06, 06:01 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by dvd_luver
Damn.

That was actually a pretty thorough review. I'm impressed.
Old 09-23-06, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Hmm, ... do I want to double-dip?
Old 09-23-06, 11:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm tempted to double dip on this, but seeing as I've only watched Point Break once since I bought it YEARS ago, probably won't pull the trigger...that picture does look improved, but unless I'm going to give it a few good spins, just not worth the cash....

MATT
Old 09-28-06, 03:02 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Here is a new review: http://dvd.ign.com/articles/735/735136p1.html

Nice review that concentrates more on the elements and magic of the film, makes for a good read, however correct me if I am wrong but it seems the reviewer didn't even bother to review the image quality. Only reference I found was that the transfer is solid.
Old 10-03-06, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Review at DVDverdict:
http://www.dvdverdict.com/reviews/pointbreakse.php

Haha, they gave the video a perfect 100, yay!
Old 10-03-06, 06:39 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Mike Nelson is doing a rifftrax for this. Should be out Oct 10.
Old 10-18-06, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Just read the DVDtalk review, I disagree that the Pure Adrenaline Edition transfer is exactly the same as the earlier 2001 release. The skydive scene in the plane for instance where Bodhi and Johnny play cat and mouse, not only is with more clarity but the colors and blacks are more well rendered and very lifelike. The 2001 edition had some problems there and that had been cleared up with the Pure Adrenaline Edition transfer. There is no way that this transfer is identical to the previous release.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.