Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

King Kong: Deluxe Extended Edition 11/14

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-06, 11:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by slop101
Tell me more about this insert - mine didn't come with one.
Yeah, the picture of the set on the previous page doesn't show it either. I can't remember what is on the front - the back has DVD credits on it, and when you open it up, it's an index of what is on each disc. Every extra is listed in its own bubble - it looks kind of like a flowchart - similar to the LOTR insert in that respect, but much much cheaper.
Old 11-15-06, 11:57 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Wallet Boy
Yeah, the picture of the set on the previous page doesn't show it either. I can't remember what is on the front - the back has DVD credits on it, and when you open it up, it's an index of what is on each disc. Every extra is listed in its own bubble - it looks kind of like a flowchart - similar to the LOTR insert in that respect, but much much cheaper.
the print layout design though you either need really good eyesight, a well lit room and/or a magnifying glass - the lettering is really really small.
Old 11-15-06, 12:53 PM

so this edition has a completely new/different transfer? is the sound different?
Old 11-15-06, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by ShaunoftheDead
so this edition has a completely new/different transfer? is the sound different?
well, with the film being a new cut of the film I would assume, yes, it's a new transfer... as for the sound - yo no se - never bought the first theatrical DVD edition.
Old 11-15-06, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by TexasDVDer
Just ordered it from DDD with the 20% off sale. It came out to $20.28 which isn't too bad.
Me, too. I placed my order yesterday. Lowest price I was able to find.
Old 11-15-06, 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by Giles
well, with the film being a new cut of the film I would assume, yes, it's a new transfer... as for the sound - yo no se - never bought the first theatrical DVD edition.
i know it is a new cut, but that doesn't mean it isn't the same exact transfer as the old, just with the added scenes.
Old 11-15-06, 01:42 PM

I don't know the tech details but its over 2 discs.. & new stuff
so I'm pretty sure its a new trandfer..
now it could be the same specks from the negtive but since its not cramed on 1 dvd its bounded to be a better bit rate...
Old 11-15-06, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would be curious to read about an actual A/B comparison to the original vs. extended cut in terms of video quality. Does the increased bit rate show a noticable improvement with the extended edition?

Last edited by DavidH; 11-15-06 at 01:53 PM.
Old 11-15-06, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by ShaunoftheDead
i know it is a new cut, but that doesn't mean it isn't the same exact transfer as the old, just with the added scenes.
you make it sound like a simple paste and edit job, when it's really not that easy. Every element has to be retimed, music cues, sound effects, the restoring of any previousily deleted footage would have to qualify it as a 'new transfer'.
Old 11-15-06, 04:49 PM

I have to agree after getting home that the packaging is horrible. The disc very easily float and it seems like it could come apart at any moment. The clear case is awful. I felt like I was opening a PC game not a Special Edition type DVD.

I plugged in the DVD and started skipping through all the extended scenes etc. We watched it so many times when it came out my wife was not up for another full viewing.

If I weren't such a Kong fan I would say not worth it. But me being the Kong/Monster movie fan I am it was cool to get the extra scenes.

Don't expect much extra Kong but the extra Monster attack scenes were pretty cool.
Old 11-15-06, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

watched it today, Seems the Picture is much better then the two disc, because on my projector it for a standard DVD it looked pretty good. The Triceratops scene is worth the price alone, I loved that scene and should of been left in the film. The swamp scene is pretty good, but the underwater shots dont look right.
Old 11-15-06, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I didn't mind the packaging but I admit they could have done a better job with it. I got an insert in my copy, usually the "made in mexico" dvds never have inserts, always check for the little sticker on the back or the blue ink stamp.
Old 11-15-06, 10:19 PM

Can anyone confirm if there are extended scenes at the end when Kong is loose in NYC...I remember reading somewhere that there would be more of Kong battling the military in central park/on the streets BEFORE he goes up the empire state building...was this not added back in??
Also since some have written that the new swamp creature scenes CGI looks bad I guess it's safe to say they haven't fixed the horrible CGI during the brontosaurus stampede?
Old 11-16-06, 05:33 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

so anyone wants to post some pix of the gift set? please?
Old 11-16-06, 07:19 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
uuuuuuuugh.....these stellar reviews are puuuuulin' me back in!

Might have to pull the trigger before the DDD sale ends.
Old 11-16-06, 07:36 AM

I can't wait to get this. MOVIE STOP was selling the gift set for $57, and I didn't go for it, but I might now. I will say that the statue looks extremely cheesy, like most of the merchandising for KING KONG was. (The action figures were horrible.)

I'm sad to hear about the bad packaging. This probably means that buying the gift set is extra risky for floaters...
Old 11-16-06, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Damone
Can anyone confirm if there are extended scenes at the end when Kong is loose in NYC...I remember reading somewhere that there would be more of Kong battling the military in central park/on the streets BEFORE he goes up the empire state building...was this not added back in??
Also since some have written that the new swamp creature scenes CGI looks bad I guess it's safe to say they haven't fixed the horrible CGI during the brontosaurus stampede?
There is a long deleted scene on disc 1 called Army vs. Kong. I think that is what you are thinking about.

The effects weren't finished so you see a mix of real footage, story boards, animation, etc.

It happens after Central Park scene. They manage to secure Ann and Kong goes nuts and "Hulks out" on the army until he gets her back.

I think the scene should have been in there.
Old 11-16-06, 02:01 PM

Entertainment Weekly wrote awhile back the deleted scenes they were speculating were going to be reinstated for the EE, and they also mentioned the Army vs. Kong scene which they made out to sound a completed scene (which isn't the case in the EE's deleted scenes section)

Sorry that's a runon sentence and has one too many 'scenes' but you get the gist
Old 11-16-06, 04:55 PM

I received this today from buy.com and was relieved to find zero floater discs. As others have stated, the packaging could have been better, but it is not that bad. I hate the unlabled discs because they seem easier to scratch or get fingerprints on. As much as Universal has milked this movie, they really should have given people the absolute best.
Old 11-17-06, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

So, is the transfer on the EE better than the theatrical?? Any improvements?
Old 11-17-06, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I normally don't comment on the packaging of dvds, but I gotta say, for such a high profile title, this is really really cheap. It's like it came from one of those tiny production companies, rather than a giant studio like Universal. Still, looking forward to seeing the new cut. Target had a grand total of 3 copies, luckily mine had no loose discs.
Old 11-17-06, 09:37 PM
Mod Emeritus

Rude/off topic posts removed. Please try to be civil and stick to the topic.
Old 11-17-06, 11:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts
Here's some pics:
Originally Posted by dvd_luver

Old 11-18-06, 02:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Jay G. I posted those pics intially but than deleted my post because animatedude specified pics of the gift set, which those aren't of. However, thanks for somehow digging them up for all to see!
Old 11-23-06, 10:07 PM

I have not opened mine. but here are the pics of the sides of the Kong DVD giftset box

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.