DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Harry Potter going OOP

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-06, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Harry Potter going OOP

I got this from Home Media Retailing Magazine:

Warner Home Video this year is putting on moratorium the "Harry Potter" films. Sorcerer's Stone, Chamber of Secrets, and Prizoner of Azkaban will be locked up December 29. After Feb. 9, 2007 Goblet of Fire will leave shelves. There's no date set for their return.

I'm assuming they are trying to pump up demand again for these titles. Maybe with a repackaging or something.
Old 07-18-06, 12:57 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
there was always that rumour that new special editions with the extended television cuts with commentary tracks would materialize, maybe there IS something brewing up for the near future...

and obviousily, the HD-DVD/Blu-ray editions will come out in the 4th quarter of GoF and the others sometime in 2007.
Old 07-18-06, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Kocheese99
I'm assuming they are trying to pump up demand again for these titles. Maybe with a repackaging or something.
Yes, I imagine both... they having nothing new for the holiday -- no new film, no new book. So they'll promote them as 'going in the vault' to increase sales.

Then, you can bet that they'll come back out either during the theatrical or DVD release of the 5th film.
Old 07-18-06, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Box Set with fancy packaging.
Old 07-18-06, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts
Aren't there millions of copies of each of these floating around already? It wouldn't be like if they go OOP you won't have much of a chance to get ahold of one.
Old 07-18-06, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by dsa_shea
Aren't there millions of copies of each of these floating around already? It wouldn't be like if they go OOP you won't have much of a chance to get ahold of one.
True, but the same thing can be said about just about everything that Disney pulls out of circulation. And people still end up going "Oh crap, I need Snow White and now I can't find it anywhere..."

Although, in this case, I can't imagine they'll be unavailable long enough to mean anything on the secondary market. Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix will be hitting DVD in November 2007, less than a year from this moratorium. And I can't imagine that Warner will put that out without the others being available. This is purely a marketing stunt.
Old 07-18-06, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by bboisvert
I can't imagine they'll be unavailable long enough to mean anything on the secondary market. Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix will be hitting DVD in November 2007, less than a year from this moratorium. And I can't imagine that Warner will put that out without the others being available. This is purely a marketing stunt.
Exactly right. These Harry Potter movies will be re-issued in new 2 disc sets with probably the extended cuts either when the new movie comes out or when its on dvd in November 2007. Disney stuff stays out of print for years and years, that is why their stuff dries up and commands higher secondary market values.
Old 08-04-06, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Giles
there was always that rumour that new special editions with the extended television cuts with commentary tracks would materialize, maybe there IS something brewing up for the near future...
Originally Posted by johnglad
These Harry Potter movies will be re-issued in new 2 disc sets with probably the extended cuts either when the new movie comes out or when its on dvd in November 2007.
I totally look forward to possible re-releases of each film with extended cuts, but I rather hope they don't happen until all seven films are done. Then we have the potential for an ultimate edition boxed set of everything. Additional footage (Azkaban is in most need), commentaries, documentary content on the entire Harry Potter phenomenon, etc. Probably wouldn't happen until sometime in 2010 or 2011.

--THX
Old 08-04-06, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Giles
Hehe.

I'd double-dip for Extended Editions of all these flicks in a set.
Old 12-25-06, 02:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
bump
Old 12-25-06, 08:05 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

yeah if you check amazon.com website it says they are going OOP indeed but i've never bought any of these Harry Potter DVDs cos basically we all know there will be a big gigantic boxset with all the movies when the final movie is out.
Old 12-25-06, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

true, but seeing as how the final book hasn't even been written yet, and we're at least 3 films away, its not a bad double dip.
Old 12-25-06, 10:32 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Plus, I really have to wonder what kind of a box set they will do.

There's going to be 7 movies with 2-disc sets each. When has a studio put out a box set that contained 7 movies each with bonus discs?

Even James Bond was split into box sets with less than 7 movies each.

Chances are they'll put the other films back out with the 2nd discs, and either put out 2 box sets or only put the movie discs in the box set and drop the bonus discs entirely, or make a 1 or 2-disc bonus material compilation that will have some new stuff, but will drop a bunch of the pre-existing stuff.
Old 12-26-06, 01:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'll be happy enough with a reissue for "Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone" where the extras are more easily accessible. Dammit, it's a DVD, not a video game!
Old 12-26-06, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts
Originally Posted by wahlers
Plus, I really have to wonder what kind of a box set they will do.

There's going to be 7 movies with 2-disc sets each. When has a studio put out a box set that contained 7 movies each with bonus discs?

Even James Bond was split into box sets with less than 7 movies each.
Well, it was WB that just put out the 14-disc Superman set - sure, it was for 5 or 6 movies, but it was still as many discs as will be needed for a full HP set.
Old 12-26-06, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I would say the trend, in general, has been toward bigger and bigger box sets, although, granted, they are more often for television than movies.

Have they put out a box with all the 'Star Trek' movies yet? Even if they only put out all the Kirk movies, that'd be seven right there.
Old 12-26-06, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts
Originally Posted by ThatGuamGuy
Have they put out a box with all the 'Star Trek' movies yet? Even if they only put out all the Kirk movies, that'd be seven right there.
Yeah, but it was just the existing stand-alone 2-disc sets thrown into a flimsy little box - actually, I think it was only for the first 5 or six movies - it wasn't a big deal though, and I've only seen it at CostCo.
Old 12-26-06, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

you guys are talking like you are not trekkies.we all know that you are.there's a 20-disc boxset with all the 10 Star Trek movies.
Old 12-27-06, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by CertifiedTHX
Additional footage (Azkaban is in most need), commentaries, documentary content on the entire Harry Potter phenomenon, etc. Probably wouldn't happen until sometime in 2010 or 2011.
Cuaron has said in many interviews that there is no additional footage. The script was very tight, and there were only a few deleted scenes. Everything available is supposedly already on the current DVD release.