Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Spy Kids dvds, essential

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-06, 09:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Spy Kids dvds, essential

I can barely express the enjoyment I get from listening to all the commentaries in the Spy Kids dvds. Robert Rodriguez is awesome. Sure the movies aren't all great, but the additional content is worth having. This is a guy who really loves making movies and isn't afraid to tell others how to do it. He reveals most of his tricks and invites all filmmakers (especially home video makers) to make movies. I don't make movies. It would probably take me a month to edit a 2-minute scene, but I think about movies a lot and his insights are invaluable. If you appreciate movies/the cinema/ whatever you want to call it, then you should own the whole Spy Kids collection. There aren't many writers/directors who get me as interested in the medium as he does. When I watch, I think about how things ended up on the screen, and the information I get from discs like these helps me to enjoy watching movies more (and be more critical).
Old 07-17-06, 10:40 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm a big fan of RR's movies but I've always held off on the "Spy Kids" movies because there is no SE for the first one and a box set is pretty much inevitable. I never saw the expanded theatrical re-release because I figured that it would be available on DVD shortly and what's it been, three or four years by now?

In fact, RR announced SE's of "Spy Kids", "The Faculty" and "Roadracers" while doing press for "Sin City" but they never materialized. "Roadracers" was given a street date and cover art and everything and then the release was just canceled with no good reason.

In any case, bring on the "Spy Kids" box set including an SE of the first one and I'll buy it.
Old 07-17-06, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I will not buy until the proper box set with the supposed already prepared original Spy Kids SE. The original is totally barebones without even the additional footage put in the movie DURING its theatrical run. When a decent SE of the original is made I'll buy the boxed set or if none is offered, all 3 individually.