Reload this Page >

Attack of the Unwatched DVD Pile!

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 07-12-06, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's it! I've decided no more DVDs/Books/Video Games until I am completely finished with the pile I have yet to get through. I never thought this would happen to me. Why would I get more of something if I already have things I haven't watched? I blame DDD and their 20% off deal. I just can't resist. It's not like I have a gigantic stack, but I've gotta exercise some self-control here. Who's with me?!
Old 07-12-06, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Anubis2005X
That's it! I've decided no more DVDs/Books/Video Games until I am completely finished with the pile I have yet to get through. I never thought this would happen to me. Why would I get more of something if I already have things I haven't watched? I blame DDD and their 20% off deal. I just can't resist. It's not like I have a gigantic stack, but I've gotta exercise some self-control here. Who's with me?!
Did you mean to post this in the Penthouse Forum?
Old 07-12-06, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 58 Likes on 47 Posts
Well i am going to continue buying DVDs and books.....but i know what you mean. I have gotten so many box sets this past year that i am finding it hard to get round to watching them all. I still have most espisodes of Star Trek: TNG, The Prisoner, Batman:TAS, Superman:TAS, The Twilight Zone.....the list is endless. I have taken today to try and catch up on the Twilight Zone. I managed to get through 3 discs from the 80s series the other day, but am going back to the original series today. Just not enough time.
Old 07-12-06, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Totally. I'm with you. Between Netflix rentals and the DDD sale, I just don't have the time to devote. Plus, with it being summer and all, longer daylight outside makes me feel guilty for staying indoors after work and sitting on my rear watching movies. I much prefer watching the tube during the fall/winter.

There's just TOO much stuff out there!
Old 07-12-06, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've decided to slow down as well to try to kill some of the backlog. I'm not going to quit buying altogether, but only stuff I really wanna see right then, or stuff I can find a good deal on (coupons, used, etc).

My backlog right now sits at 160 (including boxsets as one title), and includes some stuff from all the way back in 2001!
Old 07-12-06, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Nope, I will continue to buy. Retirement is only 30 years away, I will get to them then.
Old 07-12-06, 02:07 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

I have the same problem, a ton of DVDs still unopened. But even worse is I can never decide what to watch, so I end up watching nothing. Pathetic.
Old 07-12-06, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I enjoy having a backlog of stuff. I like always having something new to watch and a nice selection to choose from. But I do try to keep my backlog to about 1-2 dozen titles.
Old 07-12-06, 02:16 PM
JIF

I know exactly how you feel. I'll sit there looking at my shelves of dvds wondering what to watch. After 15 minutes, I resort to watching crap on TV.

I still haven't unwrapped LOTR: Return of the King Extended Edition from when it first came out. I always find it hard to reserve 4 hours to watch it.
Old 07-12-06, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Blasphemy! Blasphemy I say!
Old 07-12-06, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

At one point I was able to keep my unwatched to no more than 6 or 8... My current count is 56 and I have the WB Film Noir box on order for next week + another CH account in process... Double Indemnity, Brick and the next wave of Fox Film Noir on order for August + another ~ 20 titles on the wishlist.

I give up.
Old 07-12-06, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My "purchased and need to watch" stack is finally becoming manageable. I believe I have ten single discs in the stack at this time plus the Bette Davis Collection Vol. II

I taped "Lost" season 2 and need to watch that, I have a stack of magazines to get through, and about 35 books on my shelf to read.

Last edited by LiquidSky; 07-12-06 at 02:58 PM.
Old 07-12-06, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My backlog is getting crazy, but with the deals i'm getting it's hard to pass up buying them. Here's my backlog of just TV:

Amazing Race S:1
Apprentice S:1
Arrested Development S:1-2
Battlestar Galactica S:1 & 2. I watched the first 3 disks of S1 this past weekend.
Ben Stiller Show
Boston Legal S:1
Coach S:1
Clarrisa Explains it all S:1
Dead Zone S:1-4
Deadwood S:2
Different World S:1
Dr. Who: s:1
Eerie Indiana
Entourage S:1-2
Freaks & Geeks
Into the West
Lone Gunmen
Munsters S;1
Numb3rs S;1
Pretender S:1-2
Rescue Me S;1-2
Roswell
And the Grand daddy of them all: Unsolved Mysteries: Ultimate Collection

I have a headache now.
Old 07-12-06, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

My OCD and desire to learn Access is having me compile a database of all the episodes of TV shows I own and whether or not I've watched them on DVD. I have about 78% of my collection added and I'm at 448 hours of unwatched episodes (counting shows that aired in a 1 hour time slot as 1 hour and shows in a half hour time slot as 30 minutes, so the real-time number is somewhat less). I really slowed down on the watching for a few months and the DDD sale added quite a bit to my tally.

Lately I've been getting an episode or two of Frasier and Star Trek: TNG in most nights, while rotating in some Curb Your Enthusiasm, Monk and Scrubs.
Old 07-12-06, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I am at around 200 movies and several tv seasons - but I am denting it with 10 plus a week lately. Boxsets are killing me JohnWayne/John Ford, Essential Steve McQueen, James Dean, Friday the 13th, Species, Aliens, Batman, etc.
Old 07-12-06, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 87 Likes on 60 Posts
I'm not that concerned if I ever get around to watching them all. I like knowing I can watch whatever I want, whenever I want at a moments notice. That's what I'm spending the money on.
Old 07-12-06, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

This is a great thread idea!

I too had similar problems as others have reported. (1) I had a HUGE backlog of DVDs that I had yet to watch. This was due in part because I would jump at just about any DVD bargain - especially DDD's great sales. (2) I had such a ridiculous amount of DVDs that I would just scan row after row of titles trying to decide what I wanted to watch - a process that sometimes took 15 - 20 minutes in and of itself.

Here's what happened to solve this problem . . . (1) I learned I'd be moving to another state for a job. After learning this, I realized I didn't want to go through the hassle of packing / moving / unpacking / reorganizing DVDs. (2) So, I sold my entire collection on EBay individually - this took a lot of time but was surprisingly not as difficult for me as I thought it would be. (3) Anything I thought I might want again in the future, I put down on a list along with how much I sold the DVD for (I took closing price and subtracted 20% for fees, etc.). If, in the future, I see a sale or a 20% DDD sale, and think I'll want a title that I sold, I'll check my list. If I can get it cheaper than what I sold it for, I'll probably buy it. (4) In the meantime, I only buy newly released DVDs that I know I want to watch. This severely limits what I buy, but so far, I've watched everything I've bought since I sold my collection. I like to get the Wal-Mart side-by-side deals on new releases since the 2nd title tends to be something I used to have. For instance, Hills Have Eyes came with Joy Ride (a movie I had sold). It's pretty easy to watch 1 or 2 DVDs a week.

This may not be the most cost-effective method in the long run, but it made my move easy, it clears up a lot of space at my new pad, I spend much less time searching for bargains and trying to decide what to watch, and I certainly spend much, much less per week on DVDs than I have in the past.

I don't know if this helps anyone or not, but it was fun to type the post.
Old 07-12-06, 05:03 PM

If I can get it cheaper than what I sold it for, I'll probably buy it.
If you're selling them on ebay I think that would be to do...
Old 07-12-06, 05:04 PM

that would be hard to do...

dang typos
Old 07-12-06, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by Harold Wazzu
that would be hard to do...

dang typos
You would think so, and that's probably true for individual popular movie titles, but I was *very* surprised at how much TV and movie box sets went for. I think it helped to sell a lot of titles at the same time - it seemed like people were more willing to bid on a lot of titles since my combined shipping discount was good.
Old 07-12-06, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i have a lot i want to watch, but i try to get through 1 or 2 a weekend. slowed my buying down to a list i want and new releases.
Old 07-12-06, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
It seems that shortly after each DDD 20% sale we get one of these threads. Self control? C'mon, don't wimp out - buy whatever you want and can afford to buy, and eventually you'll catch up (in theory, anyway).
Old 07-12-06, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Anubis2005X
I would be great (and believable) if you backedup your post with a matching photo of your backlogged DVDs.
Old 07-12-06, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by THX7966
I have the same problem, a ton of DVDs still unopened. But even worse is I can never decide what to watch, so I end up watching nothing. Pathetic.
I always open them as I get them to check them out for playability, etc. Most came from the Walmart 5.50 bin and sometimes I to just look at them and realize I dont really want to watch any of them right now, so I dont.
Old 07-12-06, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
My unwatched pile is well over 100. I started counting and got to 95 midway through the L's... That's not counting Criterions, animated features, or TV shows.

Doesn't bother me really.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.