Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

anyone else's DVD purchasing habits in decline?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

anyone else's DVD purchasing habits in decline?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-06, 11:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My DVD purchasing habits are never in decline, I have always been quite the "here and there" DVD buyer. So if I find something at a good price, and I want to buy it -- I'll do it. I try as much as possible to avoid buying DVD's that I won't likely ever watch twice. So, it's always for me, buy here and there and that's it. No bad habits.
Old 07-07-06, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts
Not planning to buy any more DVD's except Simpson seasons.... HD/BR here I come...
Old 07-08-06, 12:07 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Nope, I'm going up. I'm buying all the stuff that's out/been out for awhile that I want.
Old 07-08-06, 01:11 AM

Since the early hi-def releases will be all about popularity with the under-30 (male) demographic and the blockbuster style of Hollywood filmmaking, there's very little to entice me to upgrade to the new format(s). Besides, I'm still not convinced that the classic films I love (which often exist--at best--as second- or third-generation elements) will look significantly better in the hi-def format. Even when Criterion enters the fray (likely several years from now), it's unlikely that buffed-up but battered-looking films like Renoir's Grand Illusion or Rules of the Game will be first in line to get the hi-def Criterion treatment (more recent films like Rushmore--which I love, btw--are more likely).

So, no, I still look forward to (and will plunk down my money for) a great many standard-def releases, and I don't see that changing for the forseeable future.
Old 07-08-06, 02:15 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Jackson_Browne
No, if anything the rate I buy them is steady or increasing. The reason is because I don't really care about new releases for the most part. I am way more concerned with exploring the history of cinema and as such I mainly buy classic and foreign films. As I watch more and more films, I discover more and more directors and then want to see more films by those directors. My wish list has hundreds of films on it, and I could potentially buy at least at least a thousand DVD's that I would be interested in seeing. But of course, finances hold me back.
Ditto. I also rarely buy any new releases anymore and have been recently buying used dvds from forum boards like this one.
Old 07-08-06, 03:29 AM
Cool New Member

My DVD buying has slowed down significantly in the last 6 months or so. This is mainly because of my backlog of a couple hundred titles that has continued to grow rather than get whittled down. Hell, I still have most of the DVDs I bought a year ago at the DDD 20% sale sitting in the to-be-watched pile. Between this backlog and the many TV sets I have been borrowing from friends and the library lately, buying lots of new DVDs doesn't make sense right now.
Old 07-08-06, 03:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My buying has gone down this year. Not enough new releases that I find interesting. I do have the odd time that I will buy a nice big stack though. I am not giving into this new format thing either. It's just not radical enough for me to get into it. At 30 to 35 bucks CAD a pop, no thanks!
Old 07-08-06, 04:53 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

My purchasing has slowed in part because I am not so happy with pricing. Ironically, it is because DVD prices are falling sooner after release than they used to. A lot of my purchases have been used from rental stores. But now the used prices are only a buck or two cheaper than brand new 6-12 months later. It is common to find used copies of older titles at the rental stores marked for a few bucks over what all the local B&M places are selling them disc for new.

So, until the rental places get back in line with their used pricing, my buying is probably going to be curtailed.
Old 07-08-06, 05:57 AM
Cool New Member

My dvd buying is the sam.eIm not slowing down for hd on dvd. I dont know which one is catching on.Im going to buy the older b movies and 80s-90s I enjoy.Ive never been one to double dip and try to buy my movies cheap.So Im happy buying 20+ a month.
Old 07-08-06, 06:42 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I buy movies on the cheap - I try to get them $5 or less. At that price point I can watch and never watch again without loosing sleep. Someday, when my backlog is whittled down, I will have a huge library of movies to watch - awesome. I am not fretting over HD/BD either. I still watch LD on my HDTV and can tollerate it just fine - yes, clearer picture is better - but I watch movies for the story or humor not the pixels. I plan to get some HD buy years end, btu most of my catalog will not be upgraded - I am done. I will buy my new releases and must have doubles in HD and thats it. TV on DVD - except for new shows I will stick with SD. I have watched some shows in HD (broadcast) and then on DVD and the loss of quality did not hurt my experience so why upgrade.

Oh, to answer the question - with all the deals, mine is steady - my new releases purchases are very slow while catalog and especially TV on DVD is pretty quick.
Old 07-08-06, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I have probably 200 I haven't seen yet. I only get a few for Christmas and my Birthday now. If the kids have one their list I'll buy it. By now, most I see are through the BB online rental. For $20 I get 5-6 movies a week and can barely keep up with that. I have a way to optimize my viewing habits however discussion is frowned upon. Let's just say, I get my money's worth.
Old 07-08-06, 03:23 PM

about the same. quite a few a month. i'm starting to buy used,since its cheaper,and only buy a few brand new to cut down on cost.
Old 07-08-06, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts
My disc purchases have come to a near-grinding halt. There was a flurry of purchases during the Sam Goody going-out-of-business sale. And then a batch from the latest Chiller Theatre Expo. But since I have little interest in newer films, I'm quite satisfied with my "personal digital archive". My next planned purchases will be of the Star Wars Original Trilogy. But that's about it.
Old 07-08-06, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The only times I buy are now during the Deep Discount sales. I would buy on impulse a lot but now there isn't that much for me to really get.
Old 07-08-06, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I keep up pace! A lot (perhaps 80%) of the films I like are very unlikely to appear in HD including many classic films which as FilmFanSea has pointed out above may or may not look any better. With a lot of classic/foreign films that I needed and have come out on DVD I am quite happy. Yet there is indeed a large number of films that I would probably upgrade if they show on HD. Aside from that....no changes here!
For the record I NEVER buy used!

Ciao,
Pro-B
Old 07-08-06, 07:47 PM

I've been moving towards only buying box sets, unless it's something I have to have, and then it has to be 10 bucks or less.
Old 07-08-06, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When you've run out of shelf space, DVD collecting isn't much fun anymore.
Old 07-08-06, 09:31 PM

My purchases have dramatically declined over the past 2-3 years. I think it's mainly due to a combination HD/BR on the horizon along with my signing up with Netflix.

I realized that with most DVDs I would buy and watch it once and never touch it again. Netflix solved this overspending problem for me. I also hated how I would spend $15-$20 bucks for a new release, and then see it on sale for $7.50 at Target 3-6 months later.

I now buy only the odd film or series that is lucky to be released at all (like some Criterions and the Ultraman '66 set I pre-ordered), or a movie or series that I absolutely love and can't wait for (like Night Watch and Battlestar Galactica). Mainly purchases that I will probably go back to and watch again at least a few times.
Old 07-08-06, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Disc-Flipper
When you've run out of shelf space, DVD collecting isn't much fun anymore.
I hear you. I know we've started to see a trend towards slightly thinner packaging (thinpaks, etc.)... but I'm really surprised that more companies haven't embraced this.

Thinner packaging takes up less space in my home and less space on retail shelves (allowing stores to stock more). Seems like a win-win.

Once your collection size gets to insane levels (and I've passed insane so long ago it isn't even in the rear-view mirror), space considerations become pretty crucial. When I see a DVD now, I think twice about how it will fit into my collection physically. The last thing the studios should want is a movie addict thinking twice before buying. Thinner is better.
Old 07-08-06, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Over the past few years, I've really curbed my buying habits. But, occasionally I'll go on a buying binge.
Old 07-09-06, 04:16 PM

My buying habit has decreased dramatically because of a variety of factors: a conscious decision to reduce clutter, save money, think more about what I buy and why, etc.

For me, I found that a lot of the DVDs I'd purchased in the past were just taking up space and collecting dust. Because of this, I decided to do a bit of selling on EBay and just think of Netflix as my "collection."

Another deciding factor for my change: dvd storage limitations. Yes, part of me would love to have the complete Buffy, Angel, or Scrubs series in my collection. However, the other part of me isn't interested in having a bunch of TV show collections that are 20, 30, 40 discs each.

Last edited by mc9000; 07-09-06 at 04:29 PM.
Old 07-09-06, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i have slowed down recently to save money. mostly getting things that i have wanted for awhile and new releases.
Old 07-09-06, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 220 Likes on 176 Posts
Once I started Netflix and Hollywood Video MVP, I stopped buying a lot of movies. I was buying a couple a week for quite a while, and many of them I don't even like any more. Now, I'll rent a movie, decide if I would watch it again, and then buy it. Very rarely do I buy a movie when it first comes out, and that's only when I know I'll watch it more than once every two years.
Old 07-09-06, 08:54 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
I buy only 1-2 movies a month, and 2-4 TV shows a month. They drop in price WAY to fast not to wait it out.
Old 07-09-06, 10:04 PM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I have slowed down my purchase too in view of the fact that DVDs are getting cheaper and cheaper. No point buying the new releases when they drop to or on sale for $10 in 6 months or so.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.