Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

why is Steve Martin's back catalogue in such horrible shape?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-06, 05:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

while he hasn't made it easy for me in recent years i am still a big steve martin fan.

these days i'm looking to fill the gaps in my collection and i am surprised that several films that could be considered 'classic' steve martin have awful dvd releases.

for example 'all of me', which i haven't seen in years but of which i have fond memories, is only available in 4:3. i couldn't find the OAR on imdb or anywhere else, but i'm quite certain it's NOT 4:3.
i'd rather not watch the movie before buying a crappy dvd like that.

maybe copyright issues are preventing a decent release? imdb had this piece of info:

19 January 1999 (StudioBriefing)
British media conglomerate Carlton Communications has purchased the ITC television and film library that Universal acquired as part of the PolyGram merger. It includes such British TV series as The Saint and Space 1999 as well as such movies as Eagle Has Landed, The (1976), Big Easy, The (1987) and All of Me (1984). Agence France Presse, the French wire service, said that Carlton had agreed to pay $150 million for the library.

further steve martin films with dvd issues:

The Lonely Guy - OAR only available on R2 - CORRECTION: OAR on R1 & R2, but only R2 is anamorphic
Mixed Nuts - OAR only available on R2
Father Of The Bride 2 - OAR only available on non-anamorphic R1, R2 is anamorphic but 1.78:1
The Man With Two Brains - R1 is 4:3, R2 is 1.78:1 (according to dvdcompare), but OAR seems to be 1.85:1
The Spanish Prisoner - R1 is OAR, R2 is 4:3
My Blue Heaven - R1 is 4:3, R2 not available, imdb lists OAR as 1.85:1
Pennies From Heaven - R1 is OAR, R2 not available
Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid - only available non-anamorphic
Parenthood - R1 & R2 are 4:3, OAR is 1.85:1

i am surprised that steve martin hasn't tried to sort this mess out - after all it would be good source of revenue which, according to his recent projects, seems to be one of his main concerns. (alternate theories about his run of weak, 'safe' and boring movies welcome)

anyway, does anyone have more insight into why most of his films have gotten awful dvd-treatments?
i can't think of any one contemporary performer whose dvd-released movies are such a mess...

Last edited by p h a n a t | c; 07-04-06 at 04:35 AM. Reason: found a mistake ;)
Old 07-03-06, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
I'm thinking they don't want us to know that Steve used to make funny movies for adults..
Old 07-03-06, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

At least they finally got L.A. Story right. And The Jerk before that. Maybe by 2011, the rest will be available in their OAR.
Old 07-03-06, 10:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I hope that as movie studios have released quite a bit, that they begin to work on Steve Martin's movies. Funny, but I was actually thinking about this recently. And I don't think that Steve Martin's recent run of movie have been as bad as most people say. I greatly enjoyed Bringing down the House and the first Cheaper by the Dozen wasn't that bad. I'll grant that the sequel was unneccesary, but at least he put out Shopgirl. Really, the main blow out of his that I can think of was The Pink Panther which was attrocius.
Old 07-04-06, 02:11 AM

yeah, i found bringing down the house quite entertaining, too. shopgirl was a nice film.
the pink panther was just a mindboggling waste of opportunity and talent. the 'parking scene' at the beginning had me shaking my head in disbelief.
Old 07-04-06, 03:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by p h a n a t | c
The Lonely Guy - OAR only available on R2
So, 1.85:1 isn't the OAR of Lonely Guy?
Old 07-04-06, 04:36 AM

Originally Posted by The_Infidel
So, 1.85:1 isn't the OAR of Lonely Guy?
oh, sorry, i made a mistake - OAR is 1.85:1, but R1 is non-anamorphic

i edited my initial post to correct this.
Old 07-04-06, 07:38 AM

Three Amigos (Region 1) is non-anamorphic 1.85:1. (EDITED)

Last edited by fryinpan1; 07-04-06 at 10:54 AM.
Old 07-04-06, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by fryinpan1
Three Amigos (Region 1) is not in OAR either.
hmm, dvdcompare lists the R1 as non-anamorphic 1.85:1 while 2 shops (DDD and dvdpacific) list it as 1.33:1...
i wonder who is wrong here.

i own the R2 myself, so i can't check ;-)
Old 07-04-06, 10:53 AM

hmm, dvdcompare lists the R1 as non-anamorphic 1.85:1 while 2 shops (DDD and dvdpacific) list it as 1.33:1...
i wonder who is wrong here.

i own the R2 myself, so i can't check ;-)
I thought Three Amigos was full screen, but I just checked and it is non-anamorphic 1.85:1.
Old 07-04-06, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Aren't alot of these titles Warner - it would be a great chance to release a collection of improved versions - kinda like the Mel Brooks collection Fox? did.
Old 07-05-06, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
How about Housesitter (with Goldie Hawn)?
Old 07-05-06, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Bowfinger was pretty good.
Old 07-06-06, 03:02 AM

i loved bowfinger!
one of the very few steve martin films of the last decade that lives up to his potential IMHO

oh and the housesitter release seems to be OK
http://www.dvdcompare.net/comparisons/film.php?fid=1102
Old 11-03-06, 07:50 AM
Banned

Upgrades from Universal in several Steve Martin films:

Steve Martin & Tom Hanks Comedy Collections in February

Universal Studios Home Video have announced the Region 1 DVD release of two remastered comedy collections on 13th February 2007. Priced at $19.98 SRP each are:

Steve Martin: The Wild and Crazy Comedy Collection - This two-disc set (2xDVD9) features The Jerk on one disc and Dead Men Don’t Wear Plaid and The Lonely Guy on the other. All 3 are digitally remastered with the following specs…

The Jerk
1.85:1 Anamorphic Widescreen
Audio: English DD5.1, French DD2.0, Spanish DD2.0
Subtitles: English SDH, French, Spanish
Learn How to Play "Tonight You Belong to Me"
The Lost Filmstrips of Father Carlos Las Vegas de Cordova
Theatrical Trailer
Production Notes

Dead Men Don’t Wear Plaid and The Lonely Guy feature 1.85:1 Anamorphic Widescreen transfers, English and French DD2.0 Mono audio, English SDH subtitles and the original trailers.

http://www.dvdtimes.co.uk/content.php?contentid=63205
Old 11-05-06, 06:21 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Location: Chicago, only a stone's throw from Chicago (even if you throw like a girl)
Double features on 1 DVD? C'mon. Like a guy in a $7000 suit is going to buy a double-feature dvd. C'mon.

Seriously, I really don't like this trend of 2 movies on 1 disk. It cannot be a good sign for quality releases.
Old 11-05-06, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Yeah, you're not the only one.
Old 11-06-06, 01:54 AM

Mixed Nuts - OAR only available on R2
Actually, when Mixed Nuts was originally released on DVD in December 2001, it contained both widescreen and fullscreen transfers of the movie. All pressings were like this until 2004, when Sony cut costs by removing the widescreen side. Shame really, it's one of my favorite movies. I'm glad I bought it the day it came out.
Old 11-06-06, 02:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by bothanspy
Seriously, I really don't like this trend of 2 movies on 1 disk. It cannot be a good sign for quality releases.
I agree, although as long as the two movies don't have much in the way of extra features, it's not really different than 2 DVD-5 releases. And I'm constantly surprised at how many studios are still releasing anamorphic DVD-5's. Does that second layer really add that much to the cost?
Old 11-06-06, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts
further steve martin films with dvd issues:

Father Of The Bride 2 - OAR only available on non-anamorphic R1, R2 is anamorphic but 1.78:1
The Man With Two Brains - R1 is 4:3, R2 is 1.78:1 (according to dvdcompare), but OAR seems to be 1.85:1
This is really a non-issue. Changing this AR of a film from 1.85:1 to 1.78:1 is a change of about 4%, which is on par with cropping a 1.37:1 film to 1.33:1, which happens all the time and which nobody complains about. In fact, it's less of an "issue" than 1.33:1 cropping, since 1.78:1 transfers are typically open matted instead of cropped, so you're getting slightly more image instead of slightly less. The extra vertical information typically isn't even noticeable on most WS TV's, since overscan eliminates it.

This aspect ratio change is also much more common than people realize. A lot of major studio releases are 1.78:1, even if they state on the back of the box 1.85:1. Releases like Cat On A Hot Tin Roof, Body Heat, Dog Day Afternoon, Good Night, And Good Luck , and the first four Batman films all have 1.78:1 transfers in R1. Most people don't notice the change because it's such a minor and negligible one.

Just browse through or search this site:
http://www.widescreenreview.net/dvd_...tdata=Reviewed

My Blue Heaven - R1 is 4:3, R2 not available, imdb lists OAR as 1.85:1
The R4 release, which is also R2 coded, has an anamorphic WS transfer.
http://www.michaeldvd.com.au/Reviews...ws.asp?ID=3913

I am surprised that steve martin hasn't tried to sort this mess out
It's doubtful Steve Martin has much if any control over most of these titles. Although he's successful, he doesn't have the clout of say Spielberg or Lucas, so it's up to the studios to decide how to handle his releases.

anyway, does anyone have more insight into why most of his films have gotten awful dvd-treatments?
Are you sure that it's really most of his films that have had bad treatments? IMDB lists 52 titles that he's acted in, around 40 of those are films. Your list is rather short, and also lists a number of titles that have been done right in at least one region.

However, I think two factors that affect the quality of the release are the age of the film and the age of the DVD. There haven't been issues with Martin films made since 1994, and most of the issue DVDs were made really early in the format's lifespan, some as much as 8 years ago.
Old 11-06-06, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

No love for "Roxanne" i'm not a big steve martin fan but have to say that movie was pretty good and available in anamorphic widescreen 2.35:1.
Old 11-06-06, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts
Originally Posted by johnbook
No love for "Roxanne"?
Considering that the thread is about Steve Martin DVDs with problems, it's not surprising nobody mentioned a film that actually has a decent DVD release.
Old 11-09-06, 05:16 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by NoirFan
From davisdvd:
"Universal Studios Home Entertainment has announced the Steve Martin: The Wild and Crazy Comedy Collection for release on February 13th, 2007. This two-disc set will include digitally remastered anamorphic versions of The Jerk, Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid and The Lonely Guy. Bonus materials will include "Learn How to Play 'Tonight You Belong to Me,'" "The Lost Filmstrips of Father Carlos Las Vegas de Cordova" and trailers. Retail is $19.98"

Pre-order for $14.11 at DDD.

Please look at post #15 in this thread.
Old 11-09-06, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
I'm still waiting for a proper release of The Man With Two Brains.

I'd do backflips down the street if they ever put "Comedy Is Not Pretty" on DVD. I'll most likely just have to convert my worn out taped-from-TV VHS, though.

Originally Posted by Rogue588
I'm thinking they don't want us to know that Steve used to make funny movies for adults..
A co-worker and I were just talking about this a couple of days ago. He REALLY fell off (although I did like Shopgirl).
Old 02-09-07, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

i hope warner will give an update on some of the fullscreen transfer re-releases they had promised in last years HTF chat. The Steve Martin films and grumpy old men at the top of the list.