Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

IN CASE YOU MISSED IT - DVD Stalk: Horror DVD Talk

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-06, 04:14 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT - DVD Stalk: Horror DVD Talk

Is a new sub-forum available in this forum. ALL DVD horror related info is to go in here, this includes reviews, requests for reviews and recommendation threads but DOES NOT include bargain threads [those still belong in the bargain forum]. Since horror is kind of a broad genre it's been decided, for now we'll see how it works out, that whether or not something can be classified as "horror" will be determined by whether or not IMDB has the "horror" genre as one of the top 3 in the list of genres for the movie.

Please take the time to visit the new forum, if that's your thing, and say hello to our newest moderator Scott_Lecter, who will be the mod only for that sub-forum so don't bug him about issues in the main DVDtalk forum because he wouldn't be able to help you anyway
Old 06-21-06, 06:11 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Why was horror "singled out" for the (dubious) honor of getting it's own sub-forum? I think it's a bad idea, unless your going to have different sub-forums for each of the big genres of film.

It's just one more place to have to remember to look into while I'm here, and, believe me, there's already plenty!
Old 06-21-06, 07:09 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I got an email for that and deleted it, i thought it was spam mail.
Old 06-21-06, 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by zombiezilla
Why was horror "singled out" for the (dubious) honor of getting it's own sub-forum? I think it's a bad idea, unless your going to have different sub-forums for each of the big genres of film.

It's just one more place to have to remember to look into while I'm here, and, believe me, there's already plenty!

You may feel that way but horror is my favorite genre so I'd love to have a forum just for horror.
Old 06-21-06, 09:22 AM

The impression I got is a deal was worked out between Scott and Geoff for "DVD Stalk" to be on it's own. You'd have to ask one of them for the details. Might be something more appropriate for the feedback forum though. This thread is mainly just to make sure people see the new sub-forum and start posting horror related threads there.

Edit seems a little ironic you're deriding the creation of a horror forum given your user name...

Edit #2: Actually there is already a thread in the feedback forum about it http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=461353

Last edited by nemein; 06-21-06 at 09:45 AM.
Old 06-21-06, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

No sir, I don't like it!!! I like good movies be they horror or not. I'm not interested in the Horror genra per say, but I do like some horror films quite a bit. I want to be able to see new horror releases in the main forum, because I won't be visiting that one too often. No offense, but you horror "freaks" creep me out a bit, much like the star Wars guys. Like Criterion, the changes are not for the better. I'm more of a sci-fi fan and still wouldn't want a sub-forum for that genra.

PS. One reason this is going to be realy fucked up, is that certain movies are hard to categorize. They could easily fall into horror, comedy, drama, and who is to say who is right? No sir, shitty idea!
Old 06-21-06, 06:39 PM

Stupid idea.
Old 06-22-06, 01:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

what happened to the guy who was doing the cineschlock column?
Old 06-22-06, 01:24 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Why not spin TV on DVD off into its own forum instead? That's seems more logical that just a certain movie genre.
Old 06-22-06, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 798 Likes on 566 Posts

Concur completely, underscoring the last sentence. There's really no need for it; the DVDTalk section isn't excessively busy; if it were, there would be cause for this change.
Although Horror is possibly my single favourite genre (whatever defines "genre"), I probably won't bother with this new subsection.
Old 06-22-06, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by purplechoe
One reason this is going to be realy fucked up, is that certain movies are hard to categorize. They could easily fall into horror, comedy, drama, and who is to say who is right? No sir, shitty idea!
Case in Point: Wicker Man new release thread moved to DVD Stalk. IMHO, that film hardly qualifies as "Horror".
Old 06-22-06, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by BuckNaked2k
Case in Point: Wicker Man new release thread moved to DVD Stalk. IMHO, that film hardly qualifies as "Horror".
Agreed. It is more of a thriller and not horror.
Old 06-22-06, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Wow, and now "The X-Files" is qualified as horror, too.

I hate, hate, hate making horror a subforum. There are a lot of threads I'll miss because I would never think of the subjects as horror.

Has there been any positive feedback on this idea?
Old 06-23-06, 12:20 AM

KILL, KILL, KILL IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am a well-seasoned horror fan and I agree that the whole idea of this sub-forum is absolutely absurd. Kill it now! There is NO reason for this sub-division and it will definitely limit any attention to genre-oriented releases from general DVD fans. Why separate it? Return things to normal please! Horror fans are NOT exclusive - we like other types of films too - and vice versa! General DVD fans may be interested in select horror titles, so don't segregate them! Stop the idiocy!
Old 06-23-06, 12:27 AM

Again in order to avoid leaving it up to the mods to decide what qualifies and what doesn't we are using IMDB as the determining factor right now.

WRT if it should exist in general there is a thread in the feedback forum where you can let Geoff know your feelings about it http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=461353

PLEASE MOVE ALL THE DISCUSSION ABOUT YOUR FEELINGS OF THE NEW SUB-FORUM TO THE THREAD IN THE FEEDBACK FORUM.

That is the more appropriate place for it. All this thread in the main forum is meant to do is inform people what is going on, explain why threads are being moved and to get them to hopefully start creating the new threads in the sub-forum itself.

Last edited by nemein; 06-23-06 at 12:55 AM.
Old 06-23-06, 12:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Mr. Salty
Wow, and now "The X-Files" is qualified as horror, too.

Please kill it, then cut off the head and burn the body so that it won't return.

If not, I'll start my own DVD forum...with black jack and hookers. Actually forget the DVD forum.
Old 06-23-06, 01:57 PM

The sub-forum has been moved to the Movie Talk forum and will be used to discuss the horror genre in general instead of specifically related just to DVDs.