Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

DVD Stalk: Evil Dead DVDs

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-06, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DVD Stalk: Evil Dead DVDs

May I have the honor of one of the first creating a thread in this new sub thread called DVD STALK!

EVIL DEAD Trilogy
Evil Dead / Evil Dead2: Dawn Of The Dead / Evil Dead3: The Army Of Darkness

This is probably the most celebrated horror series in DVD Format, spawning more than 20 variations and produced by three DVD manufacturer/distributor for the past 8 years.

It may sound stupid but somehow this marketing approach done by Anchorbay/Elite/Universal for Evil Dead trilogy DVD

1. Pave way to DVD multiple version releases.
2. Evil Dead R1 as I see it pioneered the world of "Double Dipping".
3. Book of Dead lead the dvd packaging innovation

Last edited by xage; 06-19-06 at 11:38 AM.
Old 06-19-06, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by xage
It may sound stupid but somehow this marketing approach done by Anchorbay/Elite/Universal for Evil Dead trilogy DVD

1. Pave way to DVD multiple version releases.
2. Evil Dead R1 as I see it pioneered the world of "Double Dipping".
3. Book of Dead lead the dvd packaging innovation
I have all 3 on DVD but, amazingly, I don't have any of the latest gimmicky releases. I passed on the Book of the Dead editions since they changed the aspect ratios.

But there were "packaging innovations" before those came around. The Wicker Man limited edition set comes to mind. There were movies in tins, etc. Of course, the books were a cool idea since they were featured in the actual movies.

I think these were definitely some of the first (if not the first) movies to double dip. Gee, thanks for that AB and Sam Raimi! The world loves you for that.
Old 06-19-06, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts
Originally Posted by Jray
I have all 3 on DVD but, amazingly, I don't have any of the latest gimmicky releases. I passed on the Book of the Dead editions since they changed the aspect ratios.
Me too. I have the original Elite DVDs (which were pretty good) and had no trouble passing over these BotD versions. The AR thing is a killer for me. Despite AB's claims that this was a Raimi-approved transfer, I've seen comparison screencaps and it looks terrible. Lots of cut-off chins, foreheads, gore effects. The composition of some shots is so far off it ruins the point of the scene. I can believe that Raimi shot in 1:1.33 with a WS picture in mind, but it's like they framed the WS in the wrong place. For example, you'd have someones lower face cut-off but with a big empty space at the top of the frame.
Old 06-19-06, 07:29 PM
Banned

The Elite menu for "Evil Dead" is aesthetically better, too. I did own the AB version, until I learned of the fake WS they used.
Old 06-21-06, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I hope they don't millionth-dip these. Anchor Bay (or Blue Underground) needs to revamp certain titles of any of Lucio Fulci's (not Zombie cuz BU did, but what about the OOP's of Beyond, New York Ripper, Manhattan Baby) or Argento's Tenebre, Four flies on Velvet, Phenomena, or get the rights to newer titles.
Old 06-21-06, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Aren't there new versions of EDI and EDII coming out in a cabin box or something? At least that's the last I heard. I only own the Book of the Dead Evil Dead (bought it used for $7-$8) and the barebones Universal release of Army of Darkness.
Old 06-21-06, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 40 Likes on 24 Posts
Of all the copies, what ones are best?
I assume there will be personal opinions on this, but just wondering.
I have AB releases of all 3
Old 06-21-06, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

i have a question for julie walker, he mentions that a version of evil dead 1 is too bright and makes the gore effects look fake. but is he refering to the original full frame version (the one i have) or one of the anamorphic widescreen versions.
Old 06-22-06, 01:44 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by VHS?
Of all the copies, what ones are best?
I assume there will be personal opinions on this, but just wondering.
I have AB releases of all 3
Well, they are basically the same (if we talk about Anchorbay R1 Releases of Evil Dead Trilogy)

I got all the versions released in R1 format.. from Elite/Anchorbay/Universal

Xage's Evil Dead R1 DVD Collection

Evil Dead / Evil Dead II- Dead By Dawn / Army of Darkness

The Books Of The Dead - Original and Re-release

Evil Dead - 1999 Anchorbay Release in 4 different DVD Art *

Evil Dead - 1999 Anchorbay DVD in a Lunchbox and Neca Lunchbox Limited #out of 5000 **

Army of Darkness: BoomStick Edition - 2003 Anchorbay Release ***

Army if Darkness - 1999-2000 Anchorbay #d Limited Edition - Rare/OOP ****

Evil Dead - Anchorbay 2002 (RENTAL ONLY) Release - Rarest R1 *****

My Evil Dead Collection

footnotes:

* Contrary to early information that there were "5" variations of the 1999 Anchorbay Released, it seems that there were only four "4" (enough to spell E-V-I-L at its spine# ). The set stir a lot of confusion at ebay as the stock photo made available was not even the same cover/art.

** The two released lunchboxes were always been mistaken as the same, but its NOT (One has a DVD in it, the other has a Thermos).

*** Please be aware that the sought after OOP release/version of the "Boomstick Edition" is the one with the "Limited Collectible 8 page Booklet" entitled Join the Army

**** Please take note that there were four #d Limited Edition releases of Army of Darknes. The Hard ones to obtain or the so called "rarer" versions are the ones released in Canada.

- Gold keepcase / Director's Cut limited to (US) #out of 40,000 and (Canada) #out of 5,000
- 2 disc Alpha Case limited to (US) #out of 30,000 and (Canada) #out of 4,000

**** This is an exclusive Blockbuster "Rental Only" Edition and "Not For Sale". Released back in 2002. And what made it so rare was it's limited release of availability to "Corporate" Blockbuster Stores only
Old 06-22-06, 06:32 AM

Wow. You sir are a maniac. That's quite a collection you've got there.
Old 06-22-06, 08:14 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

God damn!
Old 06-22-06, 06:57 PM
Banned

I saw this guy's finding on another thread. I doubt if there are others who could beat his collection.

Hey xage, how much you spent with all of those?
Old 07-30-06, 03:53 PM

Jeez, and I thought my Evil Dead collection was big !!!
Old 07-30-06, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
**** This is an exclusive Blockbuster "Rental Only" Edition and "Not For Sale". Released back in 2002. And what made it so rare was it's limited release of availability to "Corporate" Blockbuster Stores only
My Blockbuster (on Overland at National in Los Angeles) has this available to buy on the rental shelf/used for $10. I passed because I like the original cover better.
Old 07-30-06, 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by Peep
My Blockbuster (on Overland at National in Los Angeles) has this available to buy on the rental shelf/used for $10. I passed because I like the original cover better.
Sorry, I have been out of the loop for a while.

Is this the same disc with different packaging?
Old 07-30-06, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I believe that the contents are exactly the same. I'm not sure if the disc artwork is. The cover artwork isn't.

I'd be interested in hearing more about why this exclusive was every offered. Xage would probably know.
Old 08-17-06, 01:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Peep
hey peep, i'll give you 20 for it, if you can get your hands on it
Old 08-17-06, 10:03 AM

i own the 1999 2 disc AOD. it's the canadian one which is numbered to 5000 rather than 30000 or whatever it was for the usa one. content is of course the same.
Old 08-17-06, 11:24 AM

Which are considered the versions to get if you want the films in their original glory? We have the 2 book of the dead versions, mainly for the cases, but I was unaware of the AR difference.
Old 08-17-06, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I just picked up the R2 Anchor Bay release as part of the "Box of the Banned" set I got on Amazon Uk for 6 pounds (less than $12.00 for 8 movies) and it has some cool exlusive to the UK edition featurettes (including an episode of The Incredibly Strange Film Show. Well worth picking up.
Old 08-17-06, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Go to Fangoria.com for news on ANOTHER release if Evil Dead coming Spring 2007 and will have a Ladies of Evil Dead Documentary.
Old 08-17-06, 09:32 PM

There are so many evil dead post and it was hard to choose which one to bump so I'll pick the most recent. i have the army of darkness bootleg edition. Someone i know is selling me Army of darkness broomstick edition. Is it worth my wild to buy this version? Didn't see any reviews but since it's oop i figure why not?
Old 08-18-06, 02:10 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

So if/when this new Evil Dead release comes out. Will Anchorbay finally include both the unmatted 1.33:1 and matted widescreen version?

I would love to be able to sell my old Elite dvd finally,but it remains to be seen if they will do that.
Old 08-18-06, 05:45 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by marcellusk
There are so many evil dead post and it was hard to choose which one to bump so I'll pick the most recent. i have the army of darkness bootleg edition. Someone i know is selling me Army of darkness broomstick edition. Is it worth my wild to buy this version? Didn't see any reviews but since it's oop i figure why not?
The bootleg is not of good quality, and is only an extended cut of the film in this 'less than' quality.

The 'Boomstick' edition (not broomstick), contains two discs... one for the theatrical cut in the better quality we have in R1, and then the second disc which is the bootleg version of the film. So yes, I'd say it's worth it. You'll have both versions available of the film.
Old 08-18-06, 07:05 AM

cant you guys run region 2 dvds? the uk evil dead box has always had both versions of ed.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.