Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Silent Hill -8/22/06

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-06, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any word on if BB or Target will have some sort special exclusive?
Old 08-14-06, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by DVDMagic
After seeing the trailers I'm actually torn between renting it or blind buying it because it seems like the movie I'd enjoy. However, $$ are a little thin at the moment and I don't know if I can justify buying it.

Decisions, decisions...
It's a great atmospheric flick. It doesn't have a lot of "scares", but it's a very creepy film that mirrors the game near perfectly. I'd blind-buy it.

And here's hoping to a bonus disc from either Target or (hopefully) Best Buy, since their bonus DVDs are usually little nuggets of gold.
Old 08-14-06, 04:50 PM

I'm a fan of the video game series, and enjoyed this movie as well. I'm hoping that its has 2 discs with some great material.
Old 08-14-06, 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by Graystone
I'm a fan of the video game series, and enjoyed this movie as well. I'm hoping that its has 2 discs with some great material.
It's a one disc with only one featurette on it according to the reviews. You'll likely have to wait for an 'Unrated' edition for some decent extras.
Old 08-15-06, 08:36 AM
Needs to Contact Admin about multiple accounts

Originally Posted by gryffinmaster
It's a great atmospheric flick. It doesn't have a lot of "scares", but it's a very creepy film that mirrors the game near perfectly. I'd blind-buy it.

And here's hoping to a bonus disc from either Target or (hopefully) Best Buy, since their bonus DVDs are usually little nuggets of gold.
Thanks for the input. I'm thinking that there may well be a UR SE somewhere down the line, so may hold off for now, but will definitely be renting it.
Old 08-15-06, 12:34 PM
Suspended

I ordered the region 3 for $11.95. I then get a email saying it want be in stock until the 22nd. Oh well.
Old 08-15-06, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The director has stated that he did not have to cut any violence to get an R rating, so there is no "Unrated" Footage. Also, when TriStar picked the movie up for distribution, they didn't make him change anything in the film from the way it already was....so basically, this DVD is the Director's Cut. I think people are just used to getting offered "Unrated" DVD's with every single horror film that comes out, so when it finally doesn't happen for one, they assume they're missing out on something.

But no, this appears to be the directors version with all violence and scenes intact.
Old 08-15-06, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Plus the one bonus feature it has, is an hour long documentary.
Old 08-15-06, 02:38 PM

My gosh, I just have to chime in and say how horried the covers are for both R1 and R2.

Just. Truly truly terrible. It's like the studio heads have zero ounce of restraint.

Btw, I thought the film was quite good. It just gets a bad rep unfortunately. Put it this way, for the people who haven't seen, but are curious: it is HEADS AND SHOULDERS above Resident Evil (any of them), Uwe Boll videogame movies (ALL of them), etc etc. Haven't seen Doom, but that probably fits into that category as well.
Old 08-15-06, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Doom sucked, Silent Hill was miles better than other video game movies.
Old 08-15-06, 07:02 PM
Banned

Seantn

This is not the uncut version. The original workprint was over 4hrs long. There were re shoots to trim down the time. Which is why the diaglogue is so terrible. I expect there to be another release of this movie with at least another hour of footage.
Old 08-15-06, 07:44 PM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

I think I might just wait for this to drop in price. I didn't think it was that great.
Old 08-15-06, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by puddytay
Seantn

This is not the uncut version. The original workprint was over 4hrs long. There were re shoots to trim down the time. Which is why the diaglogue is so terrible. I expect there to be another release of this movie with at least another hour of footage.
Workprints contain a lot of footage that is never intended to be in the movie. Christophe Gans has already went on record as saying he got everything he wanted into the movie, so while there may be unused footage out there, that doesn't mean that the movie has been cut.

http://www.sonypictures.com/movies/s...iary/index.php
I have read that Silent Hill fans are worried that I have not been able to make the film that I wanted to make due to restrictions imposed by MPAA and the studio. Just to clarify that the film you will see is the Directors cut and has not been compromised in length or content. Throughout the entire process of making Silent Hill, I have been overwhelmed by the generosity and trust extended to me by the team at TriStar Pictures. It is very exciting to work with people who are as concerned and respectful about successfully depicting the world of Silent Hill as I am.

The only person who is disappointed that it is my cut is the guy doing the DVD.

Last edited by Joe Molotov; 08-15-06 at 10:56 PM.
Old 08-15-06, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by Joe Molotov
Workprints contain a lot of footage that is never intended to be in the movie. Christophe Gans has already went on record as saying he got everything he wanted into the movie, so while there may be unused footage out there, that doesn't mean that the movie has been cut.
And, of course, Sony doesn't like to release "extended" cuts with relatively insignificant material. Ever.

Alright, now I'm fully considering the plunge into this release (hopefully being led to a location with some kind of spiffy extras (special slipcover/bonus disc from a B&M would be sweet). Does anyone think that an actual special edition will be made of this film - or was the box office and interest not quite high enough to merit this?
Old 08-15-06, 10:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by gryffinmaster
And, of course, Sony doesn't like to release "extended" cuts with relatively insignificant material. Ever.
That doesn't make this version of the movie any less "Uncut". If any thing, they could just make it worse by adding stuff in.
Old 08-15-06, 11:28 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by Joe Molotov
That doesn't make this version of the movie any less "Uncut". If any thing, they could just make it worse by adding stuff in.
Precisely.

It's like adding a few 2s and 3s into a full deck of playing cards. Yeah, they're there, you might notice them, but meh ... you don't really care and could do without them.
Old 08-17-06, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

This is the toughest blind buy decision for me in over a year.

I like Radha Mitchell and scary movies and the reviews are, literally, all over the place.

The only agreement is that the movie looks great. But there doesn't appear to be a plot, some say you don't get to care about the characters, and then why care what happens to then?

Some same you do need to know the game to really enjoy it , others say it only helps.

Some say it's scary, some says the entire movie is without a cohesive story with people walking around and just repeating things they are seeing in the game/movie.

This will come down to a last minute decision. I wish there was something out there to sway me one way or another.
Old 08-18-06, 12:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 88 Likes on 67 Posts
I don't get those saying there's no plot!?
I thought there was a damn good one....
Old 08-18-06, 12:55 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Why stress out about it when you could just rent it? I really liked it, but I guess it's not for everyone.
Old 08-18-06, 02:45 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Gunde
I don't get those saying there's no plot!?
I thought there was a damn good one....
For people who play the game?
Old 08-18-06, 07:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I never played any of the games, and I was able to follow what was going on.
Old 08-18-06, 07:48 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by dolphinboy
This is the toughest blind buy decision for me in over a year.
Nah, it shouldn't be. Just rent it first, because it really isn't everyone's cup of tea. It's sporting around a 6.6 on IMDB, yet the critics laced it with around a 26-27% at RT, so it's one that's obviously not applicable to everyone's taste. I enjoyed it a lot for the art design, the creep-out factor (no real scream factor), and the primary villain's power, even though it didn't get a load of screentime.

And that's from someone who hadn't played the games before. I enjoyed the flick so much that I went back and played Silent Hill 2 and 4.
Old 08-18-06, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by cerial442
I never played any of the games, and I was able to follow what was going on.
but did you like it or are you another who liked the art design and the way the movie was shot, but didn't mind that it didn't really have a real plot. but really enjoyed the movie's atmosphere, which seems to be all i read about in the positive reviews.
Old 08-18-06, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
Originally Posted by dolphinboy
I like Radha Mitchell and scary movies and the reviews are, literally, all over the place.
Case in point:

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=23220

and

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=23302

I guess it all comes down to what you're looking for in it, and how much you importance you weigh the scary parts of the movie (which are done really well) against the story and plot (which are not).
Old 08-19-06, 02:18 PM

I watched this last night(i work in a movie store) ans thought it was a million times better than RE. The only thing i wish they would have done was have some more scenes where the city "changes" to the nightmare version. But pretty much good all around. Maybe flesh out the ending some more too.

*Has a small spoiler*

After watching the Doc there is a scene they show thats not in the movie. So there should have to be deleted scenes out there. The scene is of one of those armless monsters shooting black stuff at the girl that later gets her skin ripped off. The scene looks like it takes place right before they go into the church while they're running down the street. It just shows it for a few seconds but im sure thats where the cop uses all her bullets too. Cause early she says she has a full clip left then when shes in the church she only has one bullet left. So she had to use up those other bullets somewhere. Im sure theres more deleted scenes out there and hope there is an EE sometime down the road.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.