Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Is it worth upgrading to Hithcock Masterpiece Set?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-06, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have almost all of the Hithcock Universal DVDs (with exceptions for Family Plot, Topaz - and I don't care to own them)..should I get the boxset? I researched the older thread and was interested in viewpoints with people who have had a chance to watch the newer versions. I'm leaning on staying put..any input would be helpful.
Old 06-09-06, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

buyer beware, there's MAJOR quality probs on that set (DVD18 issues)... mine has at least one faulty disc in it. My options were to ship to retailer to return it, or deal with it as-is. If you do get it, buy it from a B&M, and make sure you try each disc by fast-forwarding through it.

Last edited by ShagMan; 06-09-06 at 11:27 AM.
Old 06-09-06, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

For ~ $70 from DDD I would say go for it... It's worth it to me just for the anamorphic transfers of Vertigo and Psycho. That said, I kept all of my old Universal Hitch discs as well, just in case. So, I didn't really "upgrade" so much as I "added on" to the Hitch collection.

I suppose it depends on how big of a Hitch fan you are...

Oh, and that velvet box / packaging sucks ass, I transferred everything over to double Amarays and kept the original cover art and inserts.
Old 06-09-06, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by ShagMan
buyer beware, there's MAJOR quality probs on that set (DVD18 issues)... mine has at least one faulty disc in it. My options were to ship to retailer to return it, or deal with it as-is. If you do get it, buy it from a B&M, and make sure you try each disc by fast-forwarding through it.
Are you sure you're not talking about Alfred Hitchcock Presents: Season 1?
Old 06-09-06, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well it's certainly worth it for the new anamorphic transfers of Vertigo (with the original mono soundtrack) and Psycho, though to be honest there isn't really much else in terms of added-value if you've already got most of the Hitchcock DVDs.

The velvet box is very nice, although they should've used ThinPak cases for each disc, the movie packaging is a bit of a nuisance.
Old 06-09-06, 01:38 PM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

The packaging is incredible, and it's a must own for anyone who doesn't already have the movies. I don't know what to suggest to you, but if you're interested in the packaging/bonus disc, then you should possibly look into getting it.
Old 06-09-06, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by MEJHarrison
Are you sure you're not talking about Alfred Hitchcock Presents: Season 1?
Nope, mine's sitting at home (velvet box) with a bad Frenzy disc. The disc doesn't have any visible blemishes, but causes an unpassable hang at about 45 minutes, both on my HTPC (tried two software players) and my Daewoo. There's a thread discussing it.
Old 06-09-06, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
None of these are DVD-18s though so it has to be a bad DVD-9.
Old 06-09-06, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by ShagMan
Nope, mine's sitting at home (velvet box) with a bad Frenzy disc. The disc doesn't have any visible blemishes, but causes an unpassable hang at about 45 minutes, both on my HTPC (tried two software players) and my Daewoo. There's a thread discussing it.
Then you just have your terminology mixed up. DVD-18s are dual-layered, double-sided discs. The discs in this set are dual-layered, single-sided. They're DVD-9s.

DVD-18s are notoriously problematic (especially Universal's for some reason). DVD-9s aren't. You simply had bad luck. That doesn't mean there are "MAJOR quality probs" with the set.

Alfred Hitchcock Presents on the other hand, was on DVD-18 discs and did have "MAJOR quality probs".
Old 06-09-06, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts
Be aware, Universal is well on its way to releasing all these new transfers individually. I would just hold out for the ones you want. Personally, I had few of them, and it is a great deal for the set.
Old 06-09-06, 08:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by bunkaroo
Be aware, Universal is well on its way to releasing all these new transfers individually. I would just hold out for the ones you want. Personally, I had few of them, and it is a great deal for the set.
How long has this been known? I havn't heard of anything yet.
Old 06-09-06, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
A few of the new masters have been released already. The box will say "An Alfred Hitchock Masterpiece" or something like that. The new cover art is nothing to write home about though. But eventually the new 16.9 Vertigo and Psycho will be released.

So since the box set offers nothing new besides those two aspects for those who already own the previous releases. It would be best to save your money and get the separate release when available.

Also the bonus disc is not worth the trouble,since all you get is a 15 minute severely cut down "hitchcock award ceremony' thingy and the Psycho and The Birds documentarys(they're long,thus are not on the movie discs in the collection). So since those two documentaries are already on the current Psycho/Birds dvds which the original poster owns. It would be a huge letdown to purchase the box set hoping for 'great bonus disc features'.

I bought the set since I didn't own any of the previous Hitchock dvds expect Psycho & Vertigo(which I gladly sold). And I thought it was worth it and think the box looks really nice. But yes it is annoying how the dvds are crammed overlaping 4 to a case in every case. So someday if the cases fall apart,I may have to buy my own cases and somehow get some decent inserts to put in them.

But since you own just about all of them and the ones you don't own,you don't care too. I would skip the box set entirely to save some money and wait for the Psycho/Vertigio individual releases.