Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

'2001' intermission ; does this bother anyone but me?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

'2001' intermission ; does this bother anyone but me?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-06, 09:32 AM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Seashellz
Kubrick probably never imagined his film would show on TV, or home viewing
Well let's not ridiculous here....we are talking about 1968, when plenty of films were later shown on TV, not 1948.
Old 06-06-06, 09:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Seashellz
the intermission ........... seems more an intrusive anachronistic relic of a bygone era.
I saw the film when it was first released so maybe I'm an intrusive anachronistic relic of a bygone era!
Old 07-19-09, 01:09 PM

Re: '2001' intermission ; does this bother anyone but me?

Originally Posted by wergo
Nope, I love the overture - it makes perfect sense for the structure of the film. Vast amounts of empty black space before life began (or, technically, before the MGM logo).

Was the intermission something Kubrick wanted, or was it something the theatres demanded? It just doesn't seem to make sense as part of the film.

I'm just wondering if the issue was ever addressed anywhere (it isn't in the Criterion laser edition).

Was it just a British convention to have intermissions? I remember going to see 'All The President's Men' in the theatre during a British vacation and was shocked that they shut off the projecter half-way through so they could send people into the audience to sell popcorn, soft drinks and ice cream bars (no albatrosses, though). And they wouldn't start the film up again until enough had been sold. I'd never experienced anything like that in Canadian theatre.
This is Kubrick at his most subtle... The overture is the same as the one played when the monolith appears at other times in the film. Monolith is black, rectaganle - just rotate it 90 degrees and you get a perfect representation on a cinema screen or HD TV...
Old 07-19-09, 05:28 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Jon2
I agree with wergo.

An intermission serves no storytelling point at all and there has [n]ever been a movie made where it did.

If I remember correctly (and at my age I may not), when I saw 2001 in a theater during a re-release in the 70's (I never saw it in it's original release), there was no overture, nor an intermission. Anyone one else recall seeing it this way during the 70's?
I'm embarrassed that I can think of this, but ...

During it's original release, It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World had "police calls" relating to the movie piped into theater lobbies and rest rooms during the intermission. And the movie even had lyrics leading into the intermission. "So let’s go to the lobby, for what ever is your hobby. A drink, a smoke or repeat a joke from the Mad, Mad, Mad Mad World".

And don't forget the mercifully short intermission from Monty Python and the Holy Grail.

I saw 2001 in a theater in 1975 and it included the overture and intermission music.
Old 07-19-09, 06:17 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Why does one post in a thread that hasn't seen breath in 3 years? Anyway...if it's in the original film it better be in the DVD.
Old 07-19-09, 08:55 PM

Received 1,925 Likes on 1,135 Posts

Because if he started a new thread to talk about the topic, people would launch down his throat about how he should have searched the archives.

One can never win in this forum.
Old 07-19-09, 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
Anyway...if it's in the original film it better be in the DVD.
Well, I do agree with that, but what comes to mind is one of the Gremlins movies. I don't remember which one exactly, but in the theatrical version, at one point in the film, the film appears to burn, whereas on the VHS release, it made appeared that the VHS tape had the tracking go all funky. I think it was important to have these two different versions because the goal was to make the view thinking something was wrong with the display set up, not in the movie itself.

Old 07-19-09, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^ i thought the bumping of this thread was well worth it from cheeserolls response. imho, not bad for a first post
Old 07-19-09, 09:45 PM

Received 1,925 Likes on 1,135 Posts

Agreed.
Old 07-20-09, 02:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

when i saw 2001 at the afi silver last year in 70 mm, the intermission was more like 15 min (ie the intermission title card popped up, curtains closed, and the lights came on)
Old 07-20-09, 06:52 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CheeseRolls
This is Kubrick at his most subtle... The overture is the same as the one played when the monolith appears at other times in the film. Monolith is black, rectaganle - just rotate it 90 degrees and you get a perfect representation on a cinema screen or HD TV...
Someone has been watching Rob Ager's film analysis.
Old 07-20-09, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 236 Likes on 169 Posts

I was a little disappointed that WB took out the intermission of Where Eagles Dare on the DVD. I owned the LaserDisc and it has the intermission on that. Hopefully WB would put it back on the Blu-ray when if ever come out.