DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Sony Frank Capra box? December 5 2006

Old 06-01-06, 11:10 PM

Sony Frank Capra box? December 5 2006

I was watching Talk of the Town tonight from the recently-released Cary Grant boxed set that Sony put out and on the box there are trailers for a Frank Capra box in a similar fashion that they claim is coming soon. That box was released in February (I think) and I haven't seen any official word on it at all yet. Anyone have any information on it, or something I've missed? I've been holding off buying any of those Capra movies since I heard this was coming out, but I'm itching to get those on DVD. Hopefully they hurry up!
Old 06-02-06, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

On quite a few Sony DVD recent releases, but there is nothing on their site.
Also, looks like they are just repackaging the old dvds in one set.
doesnt mention anything new....
Old 06-02-06, 08:18 PM
g
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

It could be a repackaging like the cary grant set where there were some new features in addition to the one new film. I wish Sony would give more info as I love the capra movies.
Old 06-05-06, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm waiting for this set as well. Can't wait.
Old 09-25-06, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Press release

CELEBRATE ONE OF THE MOST HONORED AND RESPECTED DIRECTORS OF ALL TIME THIS HOLIDAY SEASON

THE PREMIERE FRANK CAPRA COLLECTION

- Includes Academy® Award-Winners “Mr. Smith Goes to Washington,” “You Can’t Take it With You,” “Mr. Deeds Goes to Town,” “It Happened One Night,” and never-before-released on DVD, “American Madness” – Plus a bonus disc and collectible Movie Scrapbook filled with essays on each film and never-before-seen photographs.

CULVER CITY, CALIF. (September 25, 2006) – Commemorate one of the most celebrated legends in Hollywood history when Sony Pictures Home Entertainment debuts THE PREMIERE FRANK CAPRA COLLECTION on DVD December 5, a 6-disc collectible box set featuring five of Frank Capra’s best films. The digitally re-mastered set includes Mr. Smith Goes to Washington, You Can’t Take it With You, Mr. Deeds Goes to Town, It Happened One Night and American Madness. The DVD box set includes a bonus disc packed with all-new interviews, archival footage, plus Frank Capra’s American Dream documentary hosted by Ron Howard and produced by Capra’s eldest son, Frank Capra, Jr. (An Eye for an Eye, Marooned). Just in time for the holiday season, this Premiere Collection features commentaries for each film, along with a 96- page collectible Movie Scrapbook that will be available for a SRP of $59.95.

Designated the “Number One Director in Hollywood” by Time Magazine in 1938 and voted by Entertainment Weekly (April 19th issue, 1996) as one of the greatest directors of all time, Capra has received numerous industry awards and accolades over the course of his successful career including three Best Director Oscars®. All three films that he won Best Director Oscars for are included in this set.

In 1935, Capra was honored with his first Academy Award® for Best Director for the film It Happened One Night, starring Clark Gable and Claudette Colbert. This was the first picture in the history of The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences to receive all of the “Big Five” awards: Best Picture, Actor, Actress, Director and Writing. Capra also won Academy Awards for his films Mr. Deeds Goes to Town (Best Director) and You Can’t Take it With You (Best Picture and Best Director). Most recently, Capra was honored posthumously at the 2006 AFI Awards, and became the second most-represented filmmaker (behind Steven Spielberg) on AFI’s “100 Most Inspiring Movies of All Time”, with four of his films on the list including Mr. Deeds Goes to Town and Mr. Smith Goes to Washington.

Capra was a populist, and the simplicity of his narrative structures focused on the great social problems facing America, which boiled down to scenarios where metaphorical boy scouts took on corrupt political bosses and evil-minded industrialists. During his reign in the 1930’s Depression era, the country was down but not out and the ultimate success of the individual in the Capra films was a bracing tonic.

Capra’s films that are featured in this Premiere Collection include the work of Hollywood’s classic leading men and women including: James Stewart (It’s a Wonderful Life, Vertigo), Jean Arthur (Only Angels Have Wings, The Devil and Miss Jones), Claudette Colbert (Secrets of a Secretary, Misleading Lady), Clark Gable (Gone With the Wind, Saratoga), Lionel Barrymore (Key Largo, It’s a Wonderful Life), Harry Carey (The Babe Ruth Story, Red River), Gary Cooper (The Westerner, Alice in Wonderland) and George Bancroft (A Doctor’s Diary, Stagecoach).

American Madness (1932)

Set in the 1930’s Depression Era, American Madness, tells the story of bank president Thomas Dickso (Walter Huston), who has making loans to depositors without sufficient collateral. When his Board of Directors question a few “risky” loans, Dickson finds himself in the hot seat. The situation gets worse when a corrupt employee robs the bank. It’s up to his loyal staff to rally local businessmen to make more deposits, which enable the directors to keep the bank afloat, thus saving Dickson’s job. Released shortly after FDR’s New Deal, this film whole-heartedly espoused Roosevelt’s ideals. Written by Robert Riskin, American Madness, is not rated and has a run time of 76 minutes.

It Happened One Night (1934)

It Happened One Night follows the antics of heiress Ellie Andrews (Claudette Colbert) as she attempts to escape the clutches of her strong willed father. In this attempt, Ellie marries a man her father hates, fortune hunter and society aviator, King Westley (Jameson Thomas). As a result of this marriage, Ellie is whisked away from King to her father’s yacht. Ellie eventually jumps ship and travels across the country to get back to her husband. On route, Ellie meets out-of-work reporter Peter Warne (Clark Gable) and reluctantly helps him get his job back by selling her story. Gable won his only Oscar for his stellar performance this film. Written by Robert Riskin, It Happened One Night¸ is not rated and has a run time of 105 minutes.

Mr. Deeds Goes to Town (1936)

After his uncle’s death, small-town idealist, Longfellow Deeds (Gary Cooper) travels to New York to collect his $20 million inheritance. While there, Deeds becomes everyone’s target, from the greedy opera committee to the daily newspaper. Deeds clashes with the cynical news editor, Mac Wade (George Bancroft), who does not fall for Deeds image of a simple, honest man. Deeds eventually finds romance with reporter Louise Bennett (Jean Arthur), who is assigned to interview Deeds and she is moved by his honesty and decency. Deeds later discovers that his newly found fortune has caused him nothing but headache and eventually he decides to give it all away. Written by Robert Riskin, Mr. Deeds Goes to Town, is not rated and has a run time of 115 minutes.

You Can’t Take it With You (1938)

Martin Vanderhof (Lionel Barrymore), the unusual patriarch of a clan of frustrated artists, decides to retire from the rat-race and use his fortune to encourage friends and family to pursue all types of strange and interesting jobs. Vanderhof’s granddaughter, Alice (Jean Arthur), the only one in the family who has a normal job working as a receptionist in the offices of a shady businessman, falls in love with her boss’ son. However, she fears his father would never approve of the marriage to someone in the crazed Vanderhof family. So the family tries to act normal for one night to impress her potential in-laws, but it all goes awry. Written by Robert Riskin, You Can’t Take it With You, is not rated and has a run time of 126 minutes.

Mr. Smith Goes to Washington (1939)

When state Senator Samuel Foley dies, Jefferson Smith (James Stewart), local hero and innocent, wide-eyed idealist, is elected interim Senator. While at Capitol Hill, Smith discovers nothing but deep-rooted corruption, and refusing to submit to the norm, he diligently takes the message of the American people to their out of touch representatives. Frank Capra shows American democratic ideals in peril, with only the naïve and the pure of spirit able to lead the nation back to its principles. Written by Sidney Buchman and Lewis Foster, Mr. Smith Goes to Washington is not rated and has a run time of 129 minutes.

DVD BONUS FEATURES INCLUDE

Completely digitally remastered for the best possible quality picture and sound
“Frank Capra Jr. remembers…” featurette for each film
Commentaries for each film

Bonus disc includes:
Featurettes:
Interviewees include: Frank Capra Jr., Ken Bowser: Frank Capra Documentarian, Richard Pena: Director, Film Society of Lincoln Center, Jeanine Bassinger: Curator: Frank Capra Archives, Wesleyan Cinema Archives
Frank Capra’s American Dream documentary hosted by Ron Howard
Old 09-25-06, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

No separate releases?
Old 09-25-06, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

every single titles except american madness is already available now...
Old 09-25-06, 06:36 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Cameron
every single titles except american madness is already available now...
completely digitally remastered? If they are the same hopefully the price will be right. I'll definitely be picking up this set.

Last edited by Son_Of_Zod; 09-25-06 at 08:05 PM.
Old 09-25-06, 07:56 PM

No Lost Horizon? It is a key Capra Sony/Columbia title rather than a political curio like American Madness.

I'll pass. I have Mr. Smith and It Happened One Night, but I may have bought it if it had Lost Horizon and the other titles.
Old 09-25-06, 08:19 PM

Wow, it looks like they went all out with the bonus features, which is a welcome surprise after the Cary Grant set's relative lack of features. This one is definitely on my list.
Old 09-25-06, 09:33 PM

Great! Thanks a lot Cameron! Glad it's finally coming out.
Old 09-26-06, 09:34 AM

So they don't have the rights to Meet John Doe?
Old 09-26-06, 03:46 PM

Box Art:

http://www.dvdtimes.co.uk/content.php?contentid=62888
Old 09-27-06, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Is this box set still on? Amazon lists it for December?

Are they in keepcases? The packaging for the Grant set was awful.
Old 09-27-06, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by wendersfan
So they don't have the rights to Meet John Doe?
It's in the public domain...Not sure who has their hands on the original negatives though.
Old 09-27-06, 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by Cameron
It's in the public domain...Not sure who has their hands on the original negatives though.

According to IMDB, it was originally distributed by Warner Bros upon its original theatrical release. The Image DVD transfer was apparently "restored from the 35mm nitrate negatives." Sadly, that version is out of print.
Old 09-27-06, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by starecase
The Image DVD transfer was apparently "restored from the 35mm nitrate negatives." Sadly, that version is out of print.
If you're looking for the best version of Meet John Doe, look no further:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Meet-John-NT...?ie=UTF8&s=dvd

(Note: Even though this is sold in the UK, the disc is Region 0 and NTSC. It plays in any US player.)

That edition is much better than the Image, and includes a bunch of extras too. There's a comparison here: http://www.celtoslavica.de/chiaroscu...iche/meet.html
Old 09-27-06, 08:55 PM

How much would 4.99 pounds be in U.S. dollars? I'd definitely want to pick up that release of Meet John Doe!
Old 09-27-06, 09:03 PM

Thanks for the UK link. I want to pick up Meet John Doe, but I am always leery of public domain titles.
Old 09-27-06, 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by Julie Walker
How much would 4.99 pounds be in U.S. dollars? I'd definitely want to pick up that release of Meet John Doe!
http://www.xe.com/ is a very useful currency converting site

4.99 pounds is equal to about $9.44
Old 09-28-06, 01:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I love Meet John Doe. According to the website for the R2 UK edition of Meet John Doe, the original nitrate negative is junked and a negative was created in the 1970's from surviving nitrate prints. The UK DVD is made from a European print which means it would differ in damage marks from the US copies of the film. The R2 disc is the best I've ever seen. They did some digital restoration and there is a before and after comparison on the disc. The commentary is also quite informative regarding the film and Capra himself. While not quite Criterion, there are good extras on the disc and it's apparent some love for the film was put into the DVD production. I think the reason it is public domain is that Capra retained rights to the film through his company Liberty Films which failed. Buy the freakin' UK disc now.

The box set is too little, too late for me and would have to show some big inprovements over what's available now for me to buy it. The American Dream documentary was previously released on the flipside of Matinee Idol and I have all the films except American Madness. Maybe the scrapbook can entice me to buy. I agree with starecase, where the hell is Lost Horizon? It's one of Capra's best. I am glad to see some Capra love out there.

Edit: As someone pointed out earlier. The UK edition is R0, not R2.

Last edited by Subgeniusguy; 09-28-06 at 10:58 AM.
Old 09-28-06, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Keepcases? Keepcases and I'm sold.
Old 09-28-06, 10:08 PM

It will probably be packaged like the Cary Grant set. The set looks pretty narrow.
Old 09-28-06, 11:00 PM

Originally Posted by Subgeniusguy
I love Meet John Doe. Buy the freakin' UK disc now.
It appears amazon.uk is out of them. Where else can I find that dvd?
Old 09-28-06, 11:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

CD WOW appears to have it. Free shipping to the US.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.