Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Transformers: The Movie 20th Anniversary SE - 11/06

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-06, 12:56 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oh man...nerd sense is tingling...that toy was actually named "Grapple".
Inferno and Jazz also got Japanese only repaint's towards the end of Headmasters. Artfire and Stepper respectively.

Grapple then got an E-Hobby exclusive green repaint as Hauler when Takara started doing reissues.
Old 06-02-06, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The Touch music video. Hahah...classic!
Old 06-02-06, 05:28 PM
Cool New Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
The new Megatron looks much better than he did in his G1 version.

The problem is, it's really difficult to take a gun and it transform into anything that remotely resembles the robot form on the TV show and movie.

Actually, one thing that has always puzzled me is why, on the television series, they made Megatron, Ironhide, and Ratchet into these really cool lead characters when the toys looked like shit when you made them into robots.

I remember the first time I saw the Ironhide toy and thought "What the fuck is this?"
Yes Ratchet and Ironhide (Both of which I still have) were terrible, the stupid seta with a stick on in for their head. But onto this DVD I am super excited about it. I have been hoping for a good one with some good extra's now if only they do it for GI Joe the movie. The only thing I didnt like about the transformers movie was that all the good characters (Sideswipe, prowl those sorts) were all killed off and you were stuck with Kup and Blurr. Those guys sucked.
Old 07-21-06, 02:20 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

16X9 WIDESCREEEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Although this will probably be a cropped version it's nice to finally see this the way it was shown in theaters. For what I know a true widescreen version never existed. But this looks to be a kick ass package none the less. Not too crazy about the new cover. Funny how they axed the newbies and replaced them with the originals even though the OG's were the supporting casts. Hell Bumblebee, Blaster, and Jazz were hardly in the movie.

New York, New York, July 21, 2006 - SONY BMG Music Entertainment will help usher in the next phase of TRANSFORMERS mania as it unveils the specifics of its November 7th release of TRANSFORMERS: The Movie 20th Anniversary Special Edition DVD. Since announcing the title in June, fans have been clamoring for more details * nearly as much as Decepticons clamor for Energon * and they will not be disappointed. Sony BMG Home Entertainment has gone to painstaking lengths to put together the ultimate package that will surely appeal to the huge, passionate and multi-generational TRANSFORMERS fan base.

For the 20th anniversary edition, Sony BMG Home Entertainment completely re-mastered and color-corrected the film and will present Optimus Prime, Megatron and the rest of the star-studded Autobots and Decepticons in true splendor through three distinct versions:

16 X 9 WIDESCREEN PRESENTATION * which has not been seen anywhere since the movie was in theaters 20 years ago.

AUTOBOT MATRIX OF KNOWLEDGE PRESENTATION * Truly showcasing the pop culture phenomenon that is THE TRANSFORMERS, SONY BMG has created a special version of the film for the DVD release. The Autobot Matrix of Knowledge will feature trivia and fun facts about the movie itself, the TRANSFORMERS brand, and the pop culture references in which TRANSFORMERS has been spoofed/tributed. Approximately 100 fun facts will show up on screen throughout the movie. Many of the factoids were provided by fans through a special DVD site created by Sony BMG to solicit input -- marking the first time that the huge TRANSFORMERS fan base has ever been asked to participate in the creation of a TRANSFORMERS home entertainment release.

FULL SCREEN EDITION

Adding to the excitement for this DVD, Sony BMG Home Entertainment has partnered with Paramount Pictures to provide a behind-the-scenes sneak peak at next summer's highly anticipated TRANSFORMERS live action movie event. The special feature segment on the DVD will include comments from Michael Bay and Steven Spielberg who share their vision and passion for TRANSFORMERS.

TRANSFORMERS: The Movie 20th Anniversary Special Edition DVD will take viewers even more inside this cult favorite than ever before through all-new interviews and first-time-ever commentary tracks. Exclusive new interviews with director Nelson Shin, story consultant Flint Dille and Sue Blu, the voice of fan-favorite Arcee, are included in this fantastic new special edition DVD.

To further commemorate the 20th anniversary of the film, SONY BMG is providing fans with some extra-celebratory content that lets them track back to the true origins of the TRANSFORMERS. After careful consideration and preparation, Sony BMG has scoured the archives for the best TRANSFORMERS-related footage available, and the DVD will include the original commercials for the toy line and movie -- allowing viewers to see how and where the phenomenon began.

Beyond the actual DVD content, Sony BMG Home Entertainment is expanding the DVD's collectibility to the packaging itself. The company has commissioned fan-favorite artist Don Figueroa to create the imagery for a special "transforming" cover. Through his much-heralded work with TRANSFORMERS, Don's art brings to life the characters so many have grown to love. With Optimus Prime appropriately situated in a position of prominence on the cover, the Autobot leader is joined by Megatron, Bumblebee, Starscream, Blaster and more of the most popular TRANSFORMERS characters on the first image of the special "transforming" cover.

TRANSFORMERS: The Movie features the voice of Orson Welles in his final role, as well as stars Eric Idle, Judd Nelson, Leonard Nimoy, Casey Kasem, Robert Stack, John Moschitta, Peter Cullen, and Frank Welker. The DVD also features a winning soundtrack featuring the iconic theme "The TRANSFORMERS" performed by Lion, and the popular "The Touch," performed by Stan Bush. The movie, set in 2005, chronicles the efforts of the heroic Autobots to defend their home of Cybertron from the evil Decepticons and Unicron, a huge robotic creature that devours planets.

Last edited by BuddyRevell; 07-21-06 at 02:30 AM.
Old 07-21-06, 04:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts
As I said in the Transformer movie thread, it seems that the only good thing about the new Michael Bay movie will be the re-realease of this DVD.

for including the 3 different versions of the movie.

I'm interested to see the transforming covers and the confirmed extras on this release.

I can't believe I'm writing this but: Good job Sony!
Old 07-21-06, 08:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Definitely picking up on day one. Glad to see its getting so much attention and not just a re-hash of the old disc.
Old 07-21-06, 08:25 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

That's one ugly cover.
Old 07-21-06, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by BuddyRevell
16X9 WIDESCREEEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Although this will probably be a cropped version it's nice to finally see this the way it was shown in theaters. For what I know a true widescreen version never existed.
It was open-matte.
Old 07-21-06, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Breakfast with Girls
It was open-matte.
Ahh yes. That's what I meant.
Old 07-21-06, 12:36 PM

Do you think they will be releasing the tv series anytime soon? I would gladly get those too if they decide to re-release the tv series.
Old 07-21-06, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i don't like this cover at all. they should re-use the classic poster artwork, not this neo-dreamwave-style comic-book art. besides, Optimus never held the matrix up like that (but hey, i'm nitpicking here, heh heh).

Last edited by darmok; 07-21-06 at 01:01 PM.
Old 07-21-06, 07:21 PM
Cool New Member

check out the link again...they've updated it with bumblebee

Originally Posted by BuddyRevell
If you haven't seen the new "classics" line you should check them out. Pretty cool stuff. Megatron hasn't been a gun for years. But he looks like a nerf gun in the classics line Astrotrain, Hot Rod, and Starscream all kick ass though. There's also a Bumblebee figure that their not showing publicly yet.
Old 07-21-06, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by LorenzoL
As I said in the Transformer movie thread, it seems that the only good thing about the new Michael Bay movie will be the re-realease of this DVD.

for including the 3 different versions of the movie.

I'm interested to see the transforming covers and the confirmed extras on this release.

I can't believe I'm writing this but: Good job Sony!
My thoughts exactly.
Old 07-21-06, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Any chance we will see The Touch as performed by Dirk Diggler?
Old 07-21-06, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Prime is doing the Ultra Magnus pose there, right before he gets blown away.
Old 07-21-06, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by starman9000
Any chance we will see The Touch as performed by Dirk Diggler?
Old 07-21-06, 09:44 PM

That cover art is horrible but it's cool this is getting another release. Although, after watching a presentation of the DVD it looks like they've matted the image into 16x9. It's also not as wide as it could be when you compare the image to that found on Metrodome UK's "Reconstructed" release.
Old 07-21-06, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yeah, it's pretty bad. I wish they would have used the Japanese poster art. Even though it's pretty much a Star Wars rip off I can't get enough of it.

Old 07-21-06, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
Originally Posted by Deus
That cover art is horrible but it's cool this is getting another release. Although, after watching a presentation of the DVD it looks like they've matted the image into 16x9. It's also not as wide as it could be when you compare the image to that found on Metrodome UK's "Reconstructed" release.
You can't get too much of a sense from that video presentation, but it kind of looks like Sony's "color correction" makes the same mistake of washing out the picture that Metrodome did.
Old 07-21-06, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I was thinking the same thing. Hard to make a judgement on that video, but it does look washed out as stated.
Old 07-22-06, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by Josh Z
You can't get too much of a sense from that video presentation, but it kind of looks like Sony's "color correction" makes the same mistake of washing out the picture that Metrodome did.
They've definitely made the picture slightly brighter (which was needed) but I'm not sure you can say too much about it give the poor quality of the video.

Metrodome (Reconstructed):

Prism:

Sony:

Comparing the Sony version to Metrodome's, you can see that they've matted the picture and cropped information from the sides (look at the ramp, the pattern on the left side of the door and at the construction in the background on the right. Then comparing it to the Prism version it looks like sony has lost even more picture on the left hand side (looking again at the ramp and the pattern on the left side of the door). It just looks like they've made a 4:3 version from the negative first and then matted it to 16x9 rather than making use of the full width of the negative (which wouldn't have been a problem given incomplete animation only appeared at the bottom of the Metrodome release or at the very least not at either side).

Edit: Metrodome are also going to be releasing a 20th Anniversary Edition of the Movie around November. There isn't much confirmed so far but apparently Scramble City (Japanese episode which takes the place of the movie in the Japanese continuity) and also Zone, the pilot for the never made fourth Japanese series after Victory, are going to be on there.

I'll probably end up getting both if that's the case!

Last edited by Deus; 07-22-06 at 11:08 AM.
Old 07-22-06, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I am definitely double dipping, but I am not sure if I should keep my Rhino disc or sell it on Ebay. The Sony presentation looks a little too bright.
Old 07-22-06, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
Originally Posted by Deus
They've definitely made the picture slightly brighter (which was needed) but I'm not sure you can say too much about it give the poor quality of the video.
It is very hard to make definitive statements, but the clip from the new Sony disc in that presentation looks washed out in comparison to the clip from the original release as seen in the same presentation.
Old 07-22-06, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 230 Likes on 158 Posts
Originally Posted by Josh Z
It is very hard to make definitive statements, but the clip from the new Sony disc in that presentation looks washed out in comparison to the clip from the original release as seen in the same presentation.
That might have to do with the cam that's recording the vid.

Hell... I can't even make out some of the text during those "knowledge sample" bits.
Old 08-08-06, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

They have some new video on the site that compares the old and new dvds plus 16X9 video.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.