DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   BUFFY TVS DVD sets being re-issued in new packaging/price drop (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/466749-buffy-tvs-dvd-sets-being-re-issued-new-packaging-price-drop.html)

lizard 06-05-06 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by wergo
Well, that's not a very good idea. What if Sarah Michelle Gellar comes over to your place and sees it? She'll most likely assume that you weren't enough of a fan to buy them when they first came out. And then she'll shun you.

Nah, I'm only concerned with what Alyson Hannigan thinks...

("Who are you today? Good Willow or Baaaad Willow?")

bis22 06-05-06 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by Nick Martin
I was told that they are in thinpaks (like the FIREFLY sets) but ones that hold 2 discs each.

I'd like to see what the artwork is like, though.

bis22 06-06-06 10:44 PM

Anyone willing to take pictures?

bis22 06-07-06 10:54 PM

Please?

rkndkn 06-08-06 01:37 PM

bis,

I'm expecting mine delivered in a few days -- if no one posts pics by then, I'll take some.

Nick Martin 06-08-06 03:21 PM

Not buying them, but I did see them in stores...gawddamn bilingual Canadian slipcovers are storing the thinpaks.

Front image of the exterior is the same as the original releases, but with simple "season one", "Season two", etc and a brief description on the back.

These things are about the size of one of those "Star Trek" collectors editon movies, considering they are just 3 thinpaks per set, and 2 for season 1.

Why, oh why couldn't the marketing/packaging god who designed thinpaks do so years ago? Thinpaks are the absolute best for TV DVD sets.

I'm curious myself as to what the individual disc cases have on them - episode descriptions on the back, obviously, but I wonder if they correspond to the disc artwork, since that is supposed to be the same as all other releases?

ANGEL would certainly have a design problem because the disc art for every season forms one giant cityscape image, and season 1 spells the word "ANGEL".

That kind of design loses its impact away from the original digipak.

argh923 06-09-06 08:28 AM

Personally, I think thinpaks are awful. They don't look nearly as good as digipaks, and I'd be fine if they never released any sets in that format. Can't stand them.

critterdvd 06-09-06 02:13 PM

Personally, I think thinpaks are awful. They don't look nearly as good as digipaks, and I'd be fine if they never released any sets in that format. Can't stand them.
I can stand them, but I'm not a huge fan. I like that they save selfspace and stuff, but I think that Digipacks look really cool!

tonyc3742 06-09-06 02:24 PM

They feel a little 'cheaper' than regular cases, but they do save a lot of room. I wouldn't like to lose some cool visual, though. And they're light years better than the Homer's head packaging in usefulness/accessibility.

MEJHarrison 06-09-06 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by abrg923

I happen to prefer them over digipaks actually. At least for the big sets. My favorite packaging is still 2-disc digipaks like WB used to do. But for big TV sets (or anything with more than a couple discs), I prefer the thinpaks. I think they look just fine and save the space.

I'm sure retailers are quite happy with them as well. I expect they're become more popular as time goes on. WB already announed they're going to start using them on my movie box sets when they don't plan to sell the contents seperately.

Nick Martin 06-09-06 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by abrg923

So you like the risk of 'floaters' (which can scratch discs), broken pieces of the disc tray hubs (which can really scratch discs), damaged creasing in the cardboard folds, and having to open several 'flaps' just to get to a disc inside?

To each their own.

critterdvd 06-09-06 08:58 PM

So you like the risk of 'floaters' (which can scratch discs), broken pieces of the disc tray hubs (which can really scratch discs), damaged creasing in the cardboard folds, and having to open several 'flaps' just to get to a disc inside?
I must be extremely lucky but out of the 50 or so digipacks that I own only once have I had a problem with floaters...

Rocketdog2000 06-10-06 12:01 AM

Originally Posted by critterdvd
I must be extremely lucky but out of the 50 or so digipacks that I own only once have I had a problem with floaters...

You are lucky. I encounterd so many that it got to the point that I would open the set up in the store, just to make sure there wasn't a floater or scratched disc - so that if I did have to exchange it, I could save myself the trip of driving all the way home (and back) before discovering it. Sometimes you could hear a loose disc, but most of the time, not.

Nick Martin 06-10-06 12:17 AM

I've only had one floater as well - ANGEL season 4 disc 6. It NEVER stays in place.

I mentioned it because of all the digipak horror stories I've read about.

argh923 06-10-06 12:21 AM

Originally Posted by Nick Martin

To each their own.

I've never had a single problem with the first two, out of all of the TV digipaks I have.

As far as opening the flaps, I don't mind that at all.

Nick Martin 06-10-06 12:54 AM

I don't know, just seeing those slim Buffy sets and looking at my much larger digipaks...kinda made me jealous. Not to mention the cost - $24.99 Canadian...shit that's a good price for a six disc set of any season (although they should have priced season 1 a little less for three discs)

The CSI and DS9 sets are an interesting variation of digipak, in that they have the slipcover, flaps, and identical disc trays as a digipak, but are bound at the left side by an adhesive plastic (like a clear industrial tape) turning the disc trays into book-style pages. They are soft plastic instead of cardboard.

They're all right.

astrochimp 06-10-06 12:42 PM

Where did u see them for $24.99 Canadian? I just got season 4 cuz i was missing that one(long story as to why) for $29.99 at Futureshop which i thought was a great price and i prefer these new ones by far over the bulky ones in which i had one floater that still wont sit right.Now im thinking i might unload the old sets and grab all these nice slim new ones for this great price since now i have one oddball set or shoudl i say i have 6 oddball sets? ;)

edit-and for people wondering the size of the new sets are the exact size of season 1 of the original ones.

Nick Martin 06-10-06 01:47 PM

HMV has them for $24.99 - SHOCKINGLY LOW for HMV...

The ANGEL sets remain a shockingly high $84.99 by comparison.

I'm in Oshawa, by the way, but the prices should be the same in all the stores, I suppose.

astrochimp 06-10-06 02:12 PM

I didnt try HMV cuz yeah normally they are higher but once and awhile they have some good deals.Thanks Nick.

astrochimp 06-11-06 02:55 PM

Ok i just picked up all the seasons in the new slim packaging(big thanks again to Nick on the HMV tip ;) ) Funny thing is i got $20 for each season trade in cept for season one i got $11(yeah i coulda done better on Ebay i guess but im lazy :p ) so total trade i got $111(Cdn) and got all 7 seasons for a total of $202(tax included) but i needed season 4 anyway which would have cost me $65(w/tax) the whole switch cost me only about 60 bucks :D

critterdvd 06-11-06 04:11 PM

Can somebody please post pictures, I am rather curious as to how these sets look? Thanks!

OldBoy 06-11-06 07:13 PM

Can somebody please post pictures, I am rather curious as to how these sets look? Thanks!

ditto!!

astrochimp 06-11-06 07:44 PM

I would but i dont have a camera but its not much different from the previous ones,just smaller is all and it doesnt fold out as the dvds are now in 3 cases(2 discs each) that slide into the main box(ie Firefly).So as i look over to where they are next to me now they look exactly the same as before cept they dont take up as much room ;)

Hopefully someone can take some pics and post them here.

Gizmo 06-11-06 08:11 PM

Just goto Best Buy and look at them. As many have said, they are in slim cases, like 90% of TV Shows are packaged. Nothing new, nothing special. They are exactly like Charmed, Wonderfalls, Tru Calling, Firefly, the new X-Files etc.

Nick Martin 06-11-06 10:08 PM

The big mystery is within the outer case - what images are used on those thinpak covers...

I suppose someone with a scanner could scan one and upload it to an image host.