DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   BUFFY TVS DVD sets being re-issued in new packaging/price drop (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/466749-buffy-tvs-dvd-sets-being-re-issued-new-packaging-price-drop.html)

Rocketdog2000 05-25-06 07:49 PM

BUFFY TVS DVD sets being re-issued 5/30, new packaging/price drop

Haven't really seen any postings on this anywhere else yet (and pardon me if there are) but thought I'd put the word out there.

All 7 season box sets of BUFFY THE VAMPIRE SLAYER are being quietly re-issued this coming Tuesday (5/30/06), and with a price drop, too.

The new packaging features the same outer artwork as the original, but the DVD's are now housed in "Double slimline" DVD cases (like the ones in the TRU CALLING set among others, and which are becoming the norm) - so the box sets now take up about half the space they used to. I haven't seen the insides yet, but would guess that the episode summaries are now printed on the case tray inserts - and that the former "summary" booklet is history. Acccordingly the UPC's have changed, also.

Along with that, there is also (depening on where you buy them) about a $20 price drop for every season - except Season 1, which I believe is only $10 less. I want to say SRP is $39.99, but again, it will likely vary from store to store.

No word yet on wether the ANGEL series will get the same treatment.

ZakiHasan 05-25-06 08:56 PM

They'll probably wait 'till after the ANGEL complete series box before going a similar route.

Gizmo 05-25-06 09:24 PM

Still waiting for an Angel Set.

geodi 05-25-06 09:43 PM

DeepDiscountDVD shipped my Seasons 6 & 7 of Buffy on 5/23 ($29.27 each). I ordered them as a preorder on 5/1.

critterdvd 05-25-06 10:42 PM

Still waiting for an Angel Set.
Same here, although I own all the individual seasons...

With 'The x-files' I wonder since Fox skiped the 'box set' step in the states and went directly to repackaged, cheaper season sets, if they will ever release a box set for this show.

MrStayPuft 05-26-06 12:48 AM

Great news! I havn't bought a single season yet, so I'll definately wait for these. I'm still kicking myself over not having enough money to buy "The Chosen One" Collection when I saw two on the shelf at BB one week, and when I went back with enough money about a week later, they were gone :(

Canis Firebrand 05-26-06 05:58 AM

Hmm.. maybe now I can pick up season 5. That is the only Buffy season I've been missing and always missed the sales on it.

rfduncan 05-26-06 09:27 AM

Thank God I just finished selling off all my original season sets (replaced by MUCH SMALLER Chosen Collection)!

wergo 05-26-06 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by rfduncan
Thank God I just finished selling off all my original season sets (replaced by MUCH SMALLER Chosen Collection)!

Well, that's not a very good idea. What if Sarah Michelle Gellar comes over to your place and sees it? She'll most likely assume that you weren't enough of a fan to buy them when they first came out. And then she'll shun you.

astrochimp 05-27-06 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by wergo
Well, that's not a very good idea. What if Sarah Michelle Gellar comes over to your place and sees it? She'll most likely assume that you weren't enough of a fan to buy them when they first came out. And then she'll shun you.

Thats the clincher! I'm keeping my original sets! :lol:

critterdvd 05-27-06 05:08 PM

Thats the clincher! I'm keeping my original sets!
Lol, I kept my original sets as well, but for a different reason. When I showed my friend the new set awhile back she started laughing and said "well now you have your 'everyday buffy' and your 'good-china buffy'" and it was funny and true. I keep the old releases in a binder in my dorm room and the 'good-china' release in my room at home...

bunkaroo 05-27-06 05:27 PM

Damn it I'm proud if my first-run releases that take up half my house's shelf space! :D

jrutz 05-30-06 12:45 PM

Just a bump to see if anyone can confirm there are no differences in supplimentals and extra content between the two releases.

Thanks!

Jeremy

Wick 05-30-06 02:14 PM

This sucks. I still need to get Seasons 6 and 7, so I'll have to hunt for some bargains on the older versions.

Zodiac_Speaking 05-30-06 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
Damn it I'm proud if my first-run releases that take up half my house's shelf space! :D

Me too! LOL. But they not that smaller, i have no reason to trade them away and upgrade just for slim cases.

dsa_shea 05-30-06 04:19 PM

6 months from now they will re-issue this series again with a scratch and sniff insert of Buffy's blood. I'm happy with the first release of the series. Enough with the multitude of prints of the same stuff.

Rocketdog2000 05-30-06 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by jrutz
Just a bump to see if anyone can confirm there are no differences in supplimentals and extra content between the two releases.

Thanks!

Jeremy

There's nothing on the packaging to indicate that there is anything more, or new, that wasn't on the original sets. So I'd say they were the same except for the new packaging. (and cheaper price) In fact, knowing Fox, I'd say that they were probably even the very same discs that were used in the old sets - with the same exact printing on the disc labels, too. The only thing that's different is the casing they are housed in.

MEJHarrison 05-31-06 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by Rocketdog2000
There's nothing on the packaging to indicate that there is anything more, or new, that wasn't on the original sets. So I'd say they were the same except for the new packaging. (and cheaper price) In fact, knowing Fox, I'd say that they were probably even the very same discs that were used in the old sets - with the same exact printing on the disc labels, too. The only thing that's different is the casing they are housed in.

Based on what they've done with The X-Files*, I'd guess you're spot on. My prediction is these will be the exact same discs with the same bonus features. I'll be shocked if any bonus features were dropped on these.

* The plan with The X-Files seems to be to drop any discs that contain only bonus features and to squeeze the seasons onto 6 discs or less. None of the Buffy sets have more than 6 discs and they've distributed the bonus features across the discs rather than having discs with only bonus features. So I'm guessing they'll just repackage the old discs.

Anubis2005X 05-31-06 03:16 PM

Yeah, it took me awhile to finish putting together the complete set of Buffy and Angel. It's kinda nice to have the big sets all lined up together. No real desire to double dip when it comes to TV shows...

Alien Redrum 05-31-06 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by wergo

:lol:

bis22 06-03-06 05:41 PM

Is there anyone who can post pictures of the outside and inside of the thin cases for season 2, 3, or 4? I'm curious to see how the packaging compares to the old releases.

OldBoy 06-04-06 12:16 PM

i would like to see pics of this set (sets) as well. so i guess the Crimson all in one is gone?

Nick Martin 06-04-06 01:04 PM

I was told that they are in thinpaks (like the FIREFLY sets) but ones that hold 2 discs each.

critterdvd 06-04-06 02:18 PM

I was told that they are in thinpaks (like the FIREFLY sets) but ones that hold 2 discs each.
So basically just like "the x-files" rereleases?

Rocketdog2000 06-04-06 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by critterdvd
So basically just like "the x-files" rereleases?

Yes, exactly right.