Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Surface: The Complete Series ----> 8/15/06

From dvdactive.com :

Title: Surface
Starring: Lake Bell
Released: 15th August 2006
SRP: $49.98

Further Details:
Universal Home Video has sent over artwork for the complete series of Surface which stars Lake Bell. The four-disc package will be available to own from the 15th August, and should retail at around $49.98. Each of the 15 episodes will be presented in 1.78:1 anamorphic widescreen, along with English Dolby Digital 5.1 tracks. As far as we know, no extra material will be included on this one - but we'll let you know if that changes. Stay tuned. For now though, here's our first look at the official region one package artwork:
cover art here:

http://www.dvdactive.com/news/releases/surface.html
Old 05-24-06, 11:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Did this series have any sort of conclusion? It seemed like they stopped showing it for a while, and I never caught up again.
Old 05-24-06, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Did they show all 15 episodes or were some missed/excluded? I really enjoyed this show, but I heard it got cancelled.

There was never really an ending in the season finale...which pisses me off now.
Old 05-24-06, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I thought the ending was OK...didn't wrap much up, but had a bit of closure...NBC did broadcast all 15eps. I thought with this announced for DVD it might get an 11th hour pickup, but it didn't happen. I may get these but not sure...not a ton of rewatch value but it was mindless fun.

MATT
Old 05-24-06, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,298 Likes on 943 Posts
Man, this show was so idiotic. Plot holes big enough to drive a ... well, whatever it was... through. But I kept watching 'cuz they got me hooked. Damn them and damn me I'm still hoping they will finish off the story with either a mini-series or a final 2-hour TV movie. Maybe it'll happen if the DVD sells well.

I'm probably gonna buy the damn DVD boxset too. Arrrrrgh!
Old 05-26-06, 03:26 PM

I was one that got hooked on the show but I wasn't too happy with the finale. IMO they didn't really close much and all that build up left me wanting more. Then I find out they are giving us no more. Unless I can pick this up dirt cheap (under $20.00) I'll probably pass.
Old 05-26-06, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,875 Likes on 1,235 Posts
If you get Universal HD, they're reshowing the series in high-definition now.
Old 05-26-06, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

No sale. I would have been nice if they had slapped a doc together on how the producers were going to ties various things together.
Old 05-26-06, 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
If you get Universal HD, they're reshowing the series in high-definition now.
What is Universal HD? A cable channel?
Old 05-26-06, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,875 Likes on 1,235 Posts
Originally Posted by ubsman
What is Universal HD? A cable channel?
Yup.

Old 05-26-06, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Considering it only ran for 15 episodes, I thought it came to a fairly decent conclusion.
Old 05-28-06, 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by Joe Molotov
Considering it only ran for 15 episodes, I thought it came to a fairly decent conclusion.
Wow, I can't remember a finale to any show I have ever watched being as unsatisfying as this was for me, and I had watched and enjoyed every episode of the season...

Spoiler:
It basically invalidated the whole purpose of everything leading up to that show. The primary storyline involved Laura, as a scientist, trying to explain and expose this new species to the world while fighting a conspiracy to hide them... why bother, they've now apparently taken over the world. ;-)
All her efforts, not to mention those of Rich, were a waste of time, including the whole far-fetched homemade diving bell. The world is obviously going to find out about the species now, and it had nothing to do with Laura's efforts.

There was nothing wrong with the finale in and of itself, but when viewed as part of a series, it just made everything leading up to it pretty much pointless. I have never watched a season or series finale where I felt, "Well, I just wasted 15 hours of my life" until this one. I honestly would have felt better about the whole series had it ended with episode 14.

Following the buzz on the internet, it was fairly clear when it aired that this would be the end of the series, and I was left phenomally disappointed. This one episode took the series from a definite buy on DVD, to an unlikely purchase for me.
Old 05-28-06, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Sigwolf
It basically invalidated the whole purpose of everything leading up to that show.
Well, that assumes the purpose of the show was...

Spoiler:
that the good guys win. The spent the whole show trying to find out about the new species so they reveal it to the world, and they did find out about the new species, but in the end they failed to get the word out in time. The bad guys won. The creatures attacked. The Earth was destroyed. Game over.

Maybe they could have done a better ending if they'd had more time, but didn't have much time to wrap it up, and I thought they did a good job with what they had to work with. It was a lot better than the wishy-washy cliffhanger ending of Invasion.
Old 05-29-06, 05:59 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Thanks for blackingout the spoilers (im not being sarcastic)... I am a newbie to this show and want all 15 episodes to be untouched in my brain!
Old 08-10-06, 11:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,298 Likes on 943 Posts
Like it or hate it....just a reminder that this comes out next week. Looks like the extras will be:

Deleted scenes
Sci-Fi Special Effects - a look behind the scenes with cast interviews.

Surface
Old 08-11-06, 07:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Hmmm, does Comcast have Universal HD? That channel seems neat. I wish Sci-Fi would pick this up for a second season...oh well.
Old 08-11-06, 08:00 AM

Here in MA Comcast carries Universal HD on channel 846.
Old 08-11-06, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I wanted so much for this show to be picked up just to see what would happen to Miles and Nim. Everything else was filler to me.
Old 08-18-06, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Anybody pick this up?

Just wondering how the PQ and audio was. I might pick this up, especially if I could ever find it for $25 or so.
Old 08-19-06, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

If I ever see it used, I'll grab it...but for full price, I'm not biting. I enjoyed it and wish it would have gotten another season, but at $45, I didn't enjoy it THAT much.

MATT
Old 08-20-06, 01:08 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I just got it at amazon for $33, and its not that bad (its my first time watching the episodes)...