Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Should I Keep These? A Thread.

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 05-19-06, 09:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So this probably happens to me every summer, knowing that I'm going to have even more free time and considering the DVDs I have but don't watch or have never watched and other things I want, so I figured why not start a thread to get some help. It's easier to hear feedback than to sit and force myself to watch something I'm already considering getting rid of.
I understand that most of this will be extremely subjective, the actual value of having any DVD in one's collection, but why not just make it like the Best Three, Worst Three, Needed Three thread. List the DVDs you're pondering getting rid of, a short explanation of why (possibly simply a lack of interest in the DVD itself), and then we can continue to comment for each other. I'm sure there'll be a ton of middle ground but also plenty of times people will simply say "why did you ever own that?" or "are you crazy? you can't get rid of that." Feel free to scour dvdprofiler and dvdaf collections if you want to get a feel for the size and variety of each other's collection or other DVDs you can't believe aren't on the list.
Maybe I'm starting this thread for selfish reasons, but I think it could be helpful and interesting for everyone.

Here are mine:
Anything Else- do I continue my ponderance of one day completing a Woody Allen collection, or accept that this film just isn't very good no matter how good Christina Ricci looks?

Dead or Alive, Dead or Alive:Final, Gozu, Sabu, Full Metal Yakuza, Happiness of the Katakuris- I absolutely loved Audition, respect it, and can imagine watching it maybe once a year (or scaring friends with it), but watched Gozu which seriously just freaked me out, to the point that I'm intrigued, but almost afraid to watch more Miike, and then if I did, would I really want to own more anyway when I could just rent it?

Monster's Ball- got it as a gift, started it once and never finished it, and have just never had a desire to go back and finish it. Should I?

Pieces of April- Sometimes I wonder how I ever used to actually like Katie Holmes. Enough said.

Porco Rosso- got it a year ago and have yet to watch it. Loved Princess Mononoke and Spirited Away, thought Kiki and Castle in the Sky were alright. Was severely letdown by Howl's Moving Castle. Ditch it or finish the Miyazaki/ Ghibli Collection? (I think I'm just as willing to do either)

Secretary- I've only seen the film once (picked up really cheap at Blockbuster) but just wasn't at all what I expected. I'm honestly just looking for opinions on this film.

Serendipity- Sure it's a cheesy romantic comedy, but is this worth keeping for Cusack and Piven, or will I always be choosing Say Anything, High Fidelity, The Sure Thing, PCU, or episodes of Entourage over this? And do I really ever want to meet another girl with the possibility that this is a safe date on the couch movie?

Samurai Jack- So I bought S1 and S2 right around when Clone Wars came out, just being intrigued by Tartakovsky and his UPA inspired style, but I still have never sat down and watched much of these, and with Season 3 coming out at the very back of my wish list, what's one to do?
Old 05-19-06, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The only one on your list I've ever seen was Monster's Ball, and I didn't like it at all. And truthfully, if you started a movie and have no desire to see what happens next, how good could it possibly be?

Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants - bought it on sale, started it, thought it was okay, and just never had the desire to finish it.

Million Dollar Baby - Got it for $4.99 and just...haven't watched it yet, so it's been just sitting there.

I'm getting rid of Interstate 60 and The Ring only because my boyfriend has them too, and when we move in together, we don't want any doubles.
Old 05-19-06, 11:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Anything Else - Horrible movie, but you have to decide if you really want all the Woody Allen movies. How many do you already have?

Secretary - I have seen it a few times and it actually got better each time. Give it another shot.

Finish Monster's Ball, then decide.

Throw Serendipity out, and rent chick flicks for dates.
Old 05-20-06, 01:43 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

my two cents

samurai jack rocks
Old 05-20-06, 09:12 AM

Sabrett-
Even Alexis Bledel can't get me interested in seeing Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants. I remember when it came out last summer, working in a book store, and every mother daughter pair that came in talking about how it made them cry. No thanks. I'll stick to Gilmore Girls.

Million Dollar Baby- I guess for $4.99 it's worth it, but Million Dollar Baby was something I loved in theaters, only to grow to hate on a second viewing. From the cliche of Morgan Freeman as narrator, the by the numbers sports arc of the beginning, to the overly dramatic twist and super cliche red neck family, this film just has no subtlety whatsoever (much like Crash). Count me out of the Paul Haggis fan club.
Old 05-20-06, 09:14 AM

And Hindolio-
That guitar playing smilie alone nearly has me convinced to sit down and watch Samurai Jack right now.

Any opinions on the Takashi Miike stuff?
Old 05-20-06, 09:38 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Sabrett
The only one on your list I've ever seen was Monster's Ball, and I didn't like it at all. And truthfully, if you started a movie and have no desire to see what happens next, how good could it possibly be?
I totally agree! Monster's Ball is a movie with an extreme melancholiness. The explicit sex scene, was unessential, considering the story.
Old 05-20-06, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Miike is an acquired taste, that is for sure. One thing that I noticed is that the films you do own are some of his more obscure .. or "out there" (though I haven't seen Sabu). If you didn't get into any of those, then Miike may just be a one hit wonder with Audition for you, which is an excellent film .. and probably his most accessible in the horror genre.

If you really want to push this and see more of his stuff, I'd recommend some of his Yakuza titles .. Rainy Dog, Fudoh, Blues Harp, maybe even Ley Lines or his adventure/drama, The Bird People in China. But .. Visitor Q, Izo, Ichi the Killer or those similar may not be your thing ..

BTW .. Samurai Jack does
Old 05-20-06, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,298 Likes on 943 Posts
Originally Posted by rmick
Any opinions on the Takashi Miike stuff?
Yeah, Miike does such a wide-range of movies. Even Dead or Alive is pretty standard yakuza stuff but has a pretty outlandish ending. I thought Gozu was pretty good. I have Happiness of the Katakuris but haven't watched it yet.

Oh, I liked Porco Rosso a lot. It's not his best but it's up there.
Old 05-20-06, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: In my secret underground lair, plotting to TAKE OVER THE WORLD!!! Bwuaaahahahaha!!
Watch Porco Rosso before you ditch it, you may find it to be pretty good. Personally, I would continue the Miyazaki/Studio Ghibli collection, although I am biased a bit... :P
Old 05-21-06, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I returned some of my DVDs to Blockbuster last night, and used my credit to get Wolf Creek and Stay.

We put on Stay, I fell asleep, but my boyfriend watched it and said it was bad. Usually we have the same tastes in movies, but do you think it's worth another viewing, or should that one go back to Blockbuster too?
Old 05-22-06, 08:30 AM

Another vote to keep rockin' the Samurai Jack. It is waaaaaaay better than that Star Wars pile of noise he did.