Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Street Fighter II: The Animated Movie -7/18/06

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 05-18-06, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Anchor Bay Entertainment will release Street Fighter II: The Animated Movie on July 18th. The disc will come with a fullscreen transfer of both the original Japanese master with never before seen scenes and the UK edition with a soundtrack by KMFDM. Audio will include English and Japanese Dolby Surround 5.1 & 2.0 tracks, while extras include interactive player cards (character bios with easter egg of signature moves), UK trailers, TV spots and a still gallery. Retail will be $19.98.

DAVISDVD.com
Old 05-18-06, 11:38 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Fullscreen? IIRC, the Japanese version was W I D E S C R E E N. But, I am so glad it'll have the Japanese track. I HATED the hard rock BS that the US/UK versions have.

"never before seen scenes"? hmm...more Chun-Li in the shower?
Old 05-19-06, 12:04 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

This movie is widescreen and should be presented that way. I guess I'll hang on to my Japanese laserdisc a little longer.

The previous U.S. release was missing a few seconds of Chun-Li in the shower, so I'm going to assume that will at least be restored.
Old 05-19-06, 12:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, wtf is with the fullscreen BS?
Old 05-19-06, 12:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Is this the same thing that was included on the XBox Street Fighter Collection?
Old 05-19-06, 12:58 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Old 05-19-06, 01:16 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i like your football play analysis drawing there!
Old 05-19-06, 01:31 AM

The previous U.S. release was missing a few seconds of Chun-Li in the shower, so I'm going to assume that will at least be restored.
I thought the current U.S. release was supposedly uncut?
Old 05-19-06, 01:48 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by darmok
i like your football play analysis drawing there!
MSPaint BOYEEEEEEEEEEEE. BOOYAH!

Anyways...I shot AB an email. Let's see what they say. Not that i'm doubting Mr. Jenkins, but can anyone confirm that this was W I D E? I only have a vague memory from a VHS boot of the original Japanese version back in the mid-90s..
Old 05-19-06, 05:13 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I've been waiting for a better version for a while. I dont support menu-less dvds. Lets hope this aspect ratio thing gets cleared up though. Does anyone have a widescreen version that they can post caps from?
Old 05-19-06, 07:40 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by EvlAsh
I thought the current U.S. release was supposedly uncut?
Well, it claimed to be uncut, but Chun-Li's shower scene was still censored. If I remember correctly, they left in the shot of her from the back but cut the frontal shot.

It's a bit difficult for me to get screen grabs, but I definitely remember the import laserdisc being letterboxed. This movie was shown in theatres in Japan.
Old 05-19-06, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Here is a "random" screen shot i just grabbed from the old widescreen release:

Last edited by Maxflier; 05-19-06 at 10:34 AM.
Old 05-19-06, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

There is absolutely nothing "random" about that.
Old 05-20-06, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by big e
There is absolutely nothing "random" about that.

I too have the Japanese laserdisc, and the OAR of this movie is 1.85:1, and the previous US release DVD is cut. Not to mention all the music changed. Funny thing is I'm a long-time KMFDM fan, but the original soundtrack for the SF Movie is really good - changing it was blasphemy. I have 20-some KMFDM CDs if I want to hear them.

I also have both of the Japanese OST CDs if anyone's interested in hearing them.
Old 05-20-06, 01:45 PM

Anchor Bay have clarified that this DVD will be letterbox.
Old 05-20-06, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

So it's non-anamorphic? That's just as dumb as far as i'm concerned. I'll pass.
Old 05-20-06, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: In my secret underground lair, plotting to TAKE OVER THE WORLD!!! Bwuaaahahahaha!!
Originally Posted by Ralph Jenkins
This movie is widescreen and should be presented that way. I guess I'll hang on to my Japanese laserdisc a little longer.

Was there a difference between the Japanese Laserdisc, and the U.S. Laserdisc?

Did the U.S. Laserdisc have the cuts, or was that just on the DVD?
Old 05-20-06, 07:17 PM

Whoo Hoo! This is one of my first anime feature experiences! I remember passing around a fansub thru the entire school because EVERYONE loved SF2 back then. I couldn't stand the U.S. version with it's weird frame and cut scenes, the awful voices, and the butchery they did with the soundtrack. I bought the Laserdisc (japanese), the DVD (japanese $50 for barebones ), both soundtracks (japanese....like $40 each!) and even a HK release (had horrible subtitles). I'm glad to finally see this as I thought it would never happen by now.

HADOKEN!
Old 05-20-06, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

As far as I recall, in additon to removing a full frontal shot from the movie, there was also slight extensions to scenes between Sagat and Bison that got cut and a few other snippets here and there. The cuts amounted to about three or four minutes but they are in the from of little extra shots here and there.

So is this gonna be a 1.66:1 transfer windowboxed in an anamorphic 1.78:1 frame or will this simply be a letterboxed non-anamorphic transfer?

As for KMFDM, didn't they only contribute one song to the English dub track? I remember a song from Korn in the end credits, a song from Silverchair (I think that's what they were called) when Ken was driving to meet Eliza, and songs from other bands as well.

Last edited by RocShemp; 05-20-06 at 08:09 PM.
Old 05-27-06, 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by RocShemp
As far as I recall, in additon to removing a full frontal shot from the movie, there was also slight extensions to scenes between Sagat and Bison that got cut and a few other snippets here and there. The cuts amounted to about three or four minutes but they are in the from of little extra shots here and there.

So is this gonna be a 1.66:1 transfer windowboxed in an anamorphic 1.78:1 frame or will this simply be a letterboxed non-anamorphic transfer?

As for KMFDM, didn't they only contribute one song to the English dub track? I remember a song from Korn in the end credits, a song from Silverchair (I think that's what they were called) when Ken was driving to meet Eliza, and songs from other bands as well.
Yup. Neither the PG-13 nor "unrated" US versions are truly uncut. I actually did a picture in picture comparison of the US and a fansubbed copy of the Japanese version. There were little stupid cuts everywhere! I actually like the US version better, except for the cuts. I'm just glad both versions will be on there! Anchor Bay? It seems to me that Manga Video is releasing this! It's on manga.com! OK, I did not know that they were the same company! Was that always the case?

Here are the songs from the US version:

Them Bones- Alice in Chains
Blind- Korn
Israel's Son- silverchair
Evil Dancer- Black/ Note
Cuz I'm Like Dat- Smokin' Suckaz Wit Logic
Halucinations? (Dream World Mix)- In the Nursery
Ultra- KMFDM
Mantra- Intermix
Old 05-27-06, 03:35 PM

Whoa, whoa, whoa! Hold on a second! I just re-read everything and it seems there will be two separate cuts of the movie on this! That's not what I want! Meaning if you want to watch the full shower scene, you have to watch it in Japanese. So I guess I will go ahead with my project of making my own version- Japanese video with selectable English or Japanese audio and a variety of subtitles.
Old 05-27-06, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I will stick to my pirated DivX. Widescreen, Japanese subs, AND 100% uncensored! Can't beat that.
Old 05-27-06, 07:17 PM

Yeah, it may be worth it just for the 5.1 sound though.. maybe. I'm pretty sure all other releases were 2.0
Old 05-28-06, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

The problem is that due to the cuts in the English version, the English audio may not synch up with the Japanese video. But they do claim the English version will have "never been seen scenes" as well.

I'm pretty sure all the U.S. versions were cut, including the laserdisc. However, I never actually owned a copy of the U.S. version.
Old 05-28-06, 10:13 AM

Right now I own the US Laserdisc, the US DVD, the US unrated VHS, the US PG13 VHS, the UK VCD and the Japanese DVD with fan created subtitles. The DVD and LD are the same, the UK cut is a little different; all three widescreen (non animorphic). The VHS's are fullscreen and the PG13 VHS version is probably was used for Street Fighter Anniversary Collection. All of the US supposedly "uncut", I mean "unrated" versions are the same. Other than the shower scene, they cut things like parts of Ryu and Fei-Long walking away from each other, little reaction shots and stuff like that.

I made a VHS tape of the US DVD version splicing in scenes from a bootleg Japanese VHS that I called Super Special Edition Turbo. Every scene that was cut in the US version has no dialouge! It would be extremely easy for them to add silence or music from the Japanese version into the English soundtrack.

I haven't done a full comparison of the UK to the US like I have US to Japanese, but I think the only thing that is different is the shower scene. There are four versions of that scene. PG13, "unrated", UK and Japanese. Because of the PAL speedup a comparison is almost impossible.

Last edited by marioxb; 05-28-06 at 10:16 AM.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.