DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Any word on a Pedro Almodovar box set?

Old 05-17-06, 06:27 PM

Any word on a Pedro Almodovar box set?

Seems like alot of his films are op in the USA.
Old 05-17-06, 10:15 PM
Banned

It was apparently canceled.
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread....ight=Almodovar
Old 05-18-06, 05:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by dx23
Yeah, that was cancelled and rightfully so. Those movies were all easily available. What the OP is probably most interested in seeing is: Women on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown, Tie Me Up, Tie Me Down! and Kika. Frankly, I too would like to know why these three films, the first being the film that really put Almodovar on the map, are still neglected.
Old 05-18-06, 10:22 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by slowcloud
Yeah, that was cancelled and rightfully so. Those movies were all easily available. What the OP is probably most interested in seeing is: Women on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown, Tie Me Up, Tie Me Down! and Kika. Frankly, I too would like to know why these three films, the first being the film that really put Almodovar on the map, are still neglected.
It seems that most, if not all of almodovar films have gone OOP in R1.
Old 05-18-06, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by dx23
It seems that most, if not all of almodovar films have gone OOP in R1.
I stand corrected, though common titles are still readily available--for now, a browse over at Amazon reveals all Almodovar look to be OOP (shipping only 1-2 days from 3rd party sellers), even Live Flesh and Bad Education.
Old 08-31-06, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

http://www.dailynews.com/entertainment/ci_4220294

Filmmaker on the verge of a retrospective
By Fred Shuster, Staff Writer

"Women on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown" (1988) leads the eight-week "Viva Pedro" retrospective beginning Friday.

Beginning Friday, Pedro Almodóvar, the campy, iconoclastic Spanish director, gets an eight-week, eight-film retrospective at the Sunset 5. The series sees the theatrical re-release of Almodóvar's early works, including "Women on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown," "The Law of Desire" and "Matador," as a lead-in to his 16th and latest film, "Volver," which stars Penélope Cruz and opens Nov. 3.

Almodóvar is considered the most influential filmmaker in contemporary Spain. "Volver," which reaped praise at this year's Cannes Film Festival, is said to be one of the director's finest in his 20-year career.

The Sunset 5 retrospective, dubbed "Viva Pedro" and utilizing brand-new prints, will run for eight consecutive weeks, from Friday through Oct. 20. Several of the titles have not been shown since their original release, and all have been withdrawn from the DVD marketplace to accommodate this theatrical run (two titles — "Matador" and "Law of Desire" — never have been issued on DVD).

"Almodóvar has gained such a fan base and reputation with his last few films that many of his new fans haven't seen his earlier movies," said Michael Barker, co-president of Sony Pictures Classics. "You can compare him to Fellini in the '50s and '60s in terms of an international following. I don't think there's anyone who rivals Almodóvar in terms of inventiveness — it crosses borders and somehow translates to all cultures."

The retrospective is as follows:

"Women on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown" (1988): Amid much comedy, a woman pulls herself together after a bad breakup. Opens Friday.

"All About My Mother" (1999): This Oscar winner shows how tragedy can unexpectedly bring two people together. Opens Sept 1.

"Talk to Her" (2001): A male nurse falls for a young dancer in a coma. Opens Sept. 8.

"The Flower of My Secret" (1996): A woman on the edge of a nervous breakdown is the centerpiece of this examination of female empathy. Opens Sept. 15.

"Live Flesh" (1998): A fate-filled, often outrageous tragicomedy. Opens Sept. 22.

"The Law of Desire" (1987): A lurid tale of lust and violence. Opens Sept. 29.

"Matador" (1988): Sex, death and bullfighting. Opens Oct. 6.

"Bad Education" (2004): An actor under investigation enters a dreamy, surreal world. Opens Oct. 13.
Old 08-31-06, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Brand-new prints!! Maybe we'll see that box set when Volver hits DVD!
Old 09-25-06, 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by Peep
Brand-new prints!! Maybe we'll see that box set when Volver hits DVD!
I think it's very likely that we will. Meanwhile, I've been enjoying having a chance to watch (or rewatch) these films in a proper cinema.
Old 09-26-06, 06:32 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by pseudonym
I think it's very likely that we will. Meanwhile, I've been enjoying having a chance to watch (or rewatch) these films in a proper cinema.
Pseudonym, have you noticed any of the prints being a little muted in color. I've saw talk to her last night and I saw Women on the verge... and that print at least to me was practically unwatchable because the print was really soft and muted and the sound was pretty bad as well. Talk to her looked better but considering what it looked like 2 years ago and now, now is cleaner but muted. I think I'm seeing All about my mother before friday so that one will be the one I'll based my final decision on. Then this weekend I'll see Live Flesh and the flower of my secret.
Old 09-27-06, 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by BuddhaWake
Pseudonym, have you noticed any of the prints being a little muted in color. I've saw talk to her last night and I saw Women on the verge... and that print at least to me was practically unwatchable because the print was really soft and muted and the sound was pretty bad as well. Talk to her looked better but considering what it looked like 2 years ago and now, now is cleaner but muted. I think I'm seeing All about my mother before friday so that one will be the one I'll based my final decision on. Then this weekend I'll see Live Flesh and the flower of my secret.
I saw them at the same theater you did, based on your location. Talk To Her looked fine to me; I guess the colors could be considered muted, but I don't remember it being especially bright or vivid when I first saw it. It's been a couple of years, so I could be wrong. I thought All About My Mother looked fine; a little scratchy, but bright and colorful enough.

Women on the Verge was in worse shape, although I wouldn't call it unwatchable. It basically looked like a 17 year old movie that hadn't had much restoration work done. Scratchy, somewhat soft, and maybe a little faded. I certainly wouldn't mistake it for a current mainstream studio release. But remember, this is an old movie that I'm sure was made inexpensively, and I imagine the original sound was mono, or at best stereo.
Old 09-27-06, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I haven't made it to All about my mother, will do tomorrow's late show but talk to her wasn't bad except in some parts but 2 years ago when it came out to the same theater I remember it looking better and the dvd does look sharper than what it did. As for Women on the verge, I considered the age of it but these were supposed to be remastered prints and for this it looked like it was a little heavy handed on the cleaning part. But again maybe is just the age of it as you said. Overall I'm glad they are being shown in theaters.
Old 10-14-10, 12:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Any word on a Pedro Almodovar box set?

I was surprised to see my Viva Pedro set is OOP. I was hoping to get another copy to give as a gift this year. Why would Sony let this go OOP? Has there been any word on a re-release? Thanks!
Old 10-14-10, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: Any word on a Pedro Almodovar box set?

i think they rereleased everything as single discs again.