DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Question about Anchor Bay "The Car" OOP DVD

Old 05-16-06, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Question about Anchor Bay "The Car" OOP DVD

I'm looking at mine, and there's something odd about the disc... The label is flaking in a couple spots, and the data side has a goldish tint to it. It shows as a DVD ROM in DVD Decrypter, Region 1, no RCE, 2 layers. It certainly doesn't appear to be a bootleg. The cover and insert are most certainly original. (The cover has a metallic colouring for "The Car" as opposed to the silver/grey you would get from an inkjet printer. I'm 95% certain it's original, as I've owned it since before it got really hard to find.

Just wondering if someone else with an original could verify that their disc is somewhat 'different' than what you usually see.
Old 05-17-06, 04:02 AM

Yes, my copy, which I know is a genuine Anchor Bay release of said title, is the same (except no flaking on the label side!).

The darker than normal gold colouring is quite common in Anchor Bay's very early releases, it's caused by the lacquer layer in the disc, and is nothing to worry about. I have quite a few discs from the early days of DVD - for example A&E's first Avengers releases - and they are similar. My guess is that the process has refined since then to use lighter coloured lacquers or thinner layers of it.

It is also the cause of the "coffee stain effect" whereby discs have irregular patches of darker gold colour.

Anchor Bay did have a few discs that went bad due to faulty manufacture; they went a very dark bronze colour and became unplayable. If it was going to happen it would have happened, they all went after about 18 months! Notable examples being The Witches and Frankenstein Created Woman

Incidentally, The Car has just been released in r2 with an identical cover from Anchor Bay UK.
Old 05-17-06, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Ahh. That's good to hear.

Yes, I picked up the UK release and was considering selling my R1. That's one of the reasons I wanted to make sure it was legit. IIRC, the image quality is better on the UK release, but it looks like it's cropped a little on the top. It also only has the widescreen version, not that that's a bad thing, but it's interesting to be able to compare the WS and FS versions on the original.

Thanks very much for the response!
Old 05-17-06, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

the flaking is becoming pretty common on the older anchor bay dvds. depending on how much you handle it.