Search this Thread

Old 06-11-06, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That cover is pretty sweet!
Old 06-11-06, 11:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Nice cover!!! I wonder why this SE took so long? Anyways, an actual re-release that I have been waiting for! I really hope we get a tight DTS soundtrack!!!
Old 06-12-06, 12:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts
Nice looking cover.
Old 06-12-06, 12:11 AM
Banned

I wanna see what it looks like with red plastic above and below it
Old 06-12-06, 01:34 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Anyone remember the Backdraft experience at Universal? It was pretty cool.

Can't wait to pick this one up.
Old 06-12-06, 02:06 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by dolphinboy

Can't wait to pick this one up.
That experience was awesome! I would go in there and then to Jurassic Park to cool off I'll definitely be picking this one up
Old 06-12-06, 09:35 AM

Sorry, I'll skip this one. No offense to firefighters but movies about firefighters are always the same. A major character will die leaving a spouse and two to three kids, there will be some sort of memorial scene followed by a scene in a bar where everyone talks about sacrifice, a floor or another part of a burning building will collapse trapping one or more characters, some old-time firefighter will pull a practical joke on the "newbie" at the station house, the word "proud" will be spoken numerous times throughout, the "fire effects" will look fake (as do ALL movie "fires"--the flames always look like they are coming from a gas stove). I mean there is just not a whole lot you can do with this genre as opposed to say cop movies. But I'm happy that those of you who like BACKDRAFT are getting a SE.
Old 06-12-06, 09:59 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by FILMCZY
Sorry, I'll skip this one. No offense to firefighters but movies about firefighters are always the same. A major character will die leaving a spouse and two to three kids, there will be some sort of memorial scene followed by a scene in a bar where everyone talks about sacrifice, a floor or another part of a burning building will collapse trapping one or more characters, some old-time firefighter will pull a practical joke on the "newbie" at the station house, the word "proud" will be spoken numerous times throughout, the "fire effects" will look fake (as do ALL movie "fires"--the flames always look like they are coming from a gas stove). I mean there is just not a whole lot you can do with this genre as opposed to say cop movies. But I'm happy that those of you who like BACKDRAFT are getting a SE.
One

Big

Huge

Old 06-12-06, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by digitalfreaknyc
I wanna see what it looks like with red plastic above and below it
Yeah, yeah rub it in!

Any rumours floating around as to what we might expect to see on the disc(s)?
Old 06-12-06, 10:48 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by FILMCZY
FILMCZY

Let me fill you in on a little bit of what went on when that movie hit the theaters in reference to the fire service.

To most fire departments, including mine, it did a great disservice to us. We are nothing like any of those characters and we don't do things like what went on in the movie. We pride ourselves in the excellent service that we provide to the citizens of the City of Los Angeles.

I remember reading quite a few fire releated publications and not one had anything good to say about the movie. It gave the fire service a black eye. The one film that did give the public an awareness of what we do and that was the TV show "EMERGENCY!" When we finished lunch, we'd go to the rec room and turn on the TV to watch the "EXPERTS" as we used to call them!!!

They may do things like that in New York, but here in the western states we are a 21st century fire service, not turn of the century fire service.

Since you're not a firefighter, you have no concept of what goes on in a fire house or at a fire but what you say above is probably what you've seen from the movies and that's most peoples conception.

Now, most all fire effects look phoney because there is so much smoke that you wouldn't be able to see anything, hence all the fire.

The only thing that I have personally from that film is the State of California using the picture from the poster on it's personalized plates. On the left of the plate is the firefighter silouetted with fire and 6 spaces. On the bottom it's written "FIREFIGHTER." Mine says BLZNVT and it's on my Corvette.

One other story, I was talking one day to the SFX man from the film and he was saying that it took them "2 weeks" to rig (completely strip the rig of everything) that fire engine to slide down the street. I then told him that it took a "second" for a 16 year old kid in a stolen Honda, going about 100 MPH and t-boning one of our engines that weighs "19 TONS" to flip this engine on to its roof and shove it 150 feet from where the kid hit it!!! Of course the kid was killed and the all the firefighters survived, they were buckled in.

I'm skipping this one too!

Sparks
Old 06-12-06, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 264 Likes on 192 Posts
Originally Posted by sparks
FILMCZY

Let me fill you in on a little bit of what went on when that movie hit the theaters in reference to the fire service.

To most fire departments, including mine, it did a great disservice to us. We are nothing like any of those characters and we don't do things like what went on in the movie. We pride ourselves in the excellent service that we provide to the citizens of the City of Los Angeles.

I remember reading quite a few fire releated publications and not one had anything good to say about the movie. It gave the fire service a black eye. The one film that did give the public an awareness of what we do and that was the TV show "EMERGENCY!" When we finished lunch, we'd go to the rec room and turn on the TV to watch the "EXPERTS" as we used to call them!!!

They may do things like that in New York, but here in the western states we are a 21st century fire service, not turn of the century fire service.

Since you're not a firefighter, you have no concept of what goes on in a fire house or at a fire but what you say above is probably what you've seen from the movies and that's most peoples conception.

Now, most all fire effects look phoney because there is so much smoke that you wouldn't be able to see anything, hence all the fire.

The only thing that I have personally from that film is the State of California using the picture from the poster on it's personalized plates. On the left of the plate is the firefighter silouetted with fire and 6 spaces. On the bottom it's written "FIREFIGHTER." Mine says BLZNVT and it's on my Corvette.

One other story, I was talking one day to the SFX man from the film and he was saying that it took them "2 weeks" to rig (completely strip the rig of everything) that fire engine to slide down the street. I then told him that it took a "second" for a 16 year old kid in a stolen Honda, going about 100 MPH and t-boning one of our engines that weighs "19 TONS" to flip this engine on to its roof and shove it 150 feet from where the kid hit it!!! Of course the kid was killed and the all the firefighters survived, they were buckled in.

Sparks
That is a nice story, what does it have to do with the DVD? I go see movies to be entertained, all movies to some degree bend fact and fiction. I could go on for days about how military movies are f'ed up. (I know that they are because I was in the military)...but I will spare a story...

But I will be picking this up, when it came out it was actually my favorite movie that year.

Last edited by d2cheer; 06-12-06 at 12:25 PM.
Old 06-12-06, 12:29 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by d2cheer
That is a nice story, what does it have to do with the DVD? I go see movies to be entertained, all movies to some degree bend fact and fiction. I could go on for days about how military movies are f'ed up. (I know that they are because I was in the military)...but I will spare a story...

But I will be picking this up, when it came out it was actually my favorite movie that year.
Old 06-12-06, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Hmm, i didn't realize that the movie gave the Fire department a black eye or caused negative press. I don't understand how that would happen from the film, but needless to say i am eager to pick up this disk and i hope we get some nice special features. Definate Buy for me.
Old 06-12-06, 01:05 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Kocheese99
Hmm, i didn't realize that the movie gave the Fire department a black eye or caused negative press. I don't understand how that would happen from the film, but needless to say i am eager to pick up this disk and i hope we get some nice special features. Definate Buy for me.
Well...probably the "dirty" fireman didn't help...but hell, there are always "dirty" versions of everyone. Gotta be bad guys somewhere.
Old 06-12-06, 01:15 PM
Banned

Special features:

The Cast Of 'Backdraft
The Stunts & Action
Special Effects
Deleted Scenes
Production Notes
More!
Old 06-12-06, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I can't wait for this as well

This was the first film I ever saw in widescreen on VHS when it first came out. I was 11 at the time and immediately became O.A.R. savy from then on. Of course it took until dvd came out that I was finally able to view most films in their correct aspect ratio. Since widescreen VHS was hard to come by and laserdiscs were insanely expensive.
Old 06-12-06, 04:05 PM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Nice release. I wonder if the HD-DVD will have more special features
Old 06-12-06, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by sparks
FILMCZY

Sparks

Thanks for your insight. I guess I'm waiting for a movie about firefighting without the obvious cliches. I'll stick with RESCUE ME.
Old 06-12-06, 05:18 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 909 Likes on 769 Posts
Originally Posted by fryinpan1
I may blind buy this for my De Niro collection. I never bought the previous bare bones non-anamorphic release.
you never saw "Backdraft" ? oh the horror!
Old 06-12-06, 11:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by dolphinboy
Cool? It was damn hot when I went.

Love this film, and I don't think anyone ever thought less of the FD because of it. Everyone I knew just respected them more.
Old 06-13-06, 12:03 AM

Wow, Enemy of the State, Backdraft, Crimson Tide, Con Air, and True Lies all in one year, whats next... True Lies? Broken Arrow?
Old 06-13-06, 12:46 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It's been awhile since I've seen the film, but I personally did not think it portrayed the FD in a negative way. As a matter of fact, I believe many of the supporting cast were real life firefighters.

I still remember watching an Oprah episode about this movie when it first came out in theaters (yeah, yeah, yeah . . . not an Oprah fan, but wanted to watch it because I was interested in the film).

Anyways, the show had Ron Howard, most of the major actors, and many of the support cast who were real firefighters. It appeared they were 100% behind Ron Howard and Backdraft.
Old 06-13-06, 08:34 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Depression
Wow, Enemy of the State, Backdraft, Crimson Tide, Con Air, and True Lies all in one year, whats next... True Lies? Broken Arrow?
True Lies?

HuH?
Old 06-24-06, 01:31 PM
Banned

2 discs from Amazon!
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...v=glance&n=130
Old 06-24-06, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts
Love the movie, but for me this is a case of a rerelease being too close to HD. What would've been a purchase last yr is a wait for HD this yr. Glad to hear about all the extras too.

Is the Backdraft attraction no longer at Universal Studios? That's a bummer...at least I did it twice.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.