Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Defective Stargate SG-1 DVDs

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-06, 04:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Defective Stargate SG-1 DVDs

I wasn't sure if there was an appropriate place for this thread so I hope it's okay here. I recently purchased some of the SG-1 sets on DVD and have found several episodes on varying discs to be unplayable. I discovered the problem too late to return it to the retailer and was wondering if anyone knows of a way to contact the manufacturer with any success. I'm really upset with the waste of money as I'd never seen a lot of these episodes before and wasted my money on defective DVDs.
Old 05-16-06, 12:15 AM

I don't recall anything about the discs being bad. Only that the episode 'Threads' was edited and they had a replacement program for that.
Can you get a little more specific on the discs? Which seasons, discs, or episodes are you having problems with?
Old 05-16-06, 01:09 AM

I still have to go back through to double check and make up a list, but off the top of my head one of them is "Learning Curve," Season 3, episode 5, disc two. The most recent one is "The Lost City," Season 7, episode 21, disc 5.

I've tried them on multiple players with similar failures.
Old 05-16-06, 02:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've seen them all from season 1 to 8 and had no bad discs. As mentioned Threads was edited so I sent that back for the full version.

I think you just got a bad disc(s). im sure youll be able to get them exchanged easy enough.
Old 05-17-06, 03:43 AM

Thanks for the feedback guys. I'm going to see what I can do about. I appreciate the help!
Old 05-17-06, 12:20 PM

Look at the actual discs themselves, maybe they were loose originally and have scratches or fingerprints or something that is causeing the laser to screwup...

I have all 8 seasons + Atlantis S1 and haven't had a problem other than what has already been mentioned regarding Threads, as well as the missing stills gallery from season 5, but those weren't disc playing error problems.

Good luck.
Old 05-17-06, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've had numberous glitches, pauses and freezes on stargate SG-1 just like other mgm titles on both my pc player and dvd players. Perhaps new slim versions are better, I dont know. Sure blueray/HD sets cant be that far off either.
Old 05-17-06, 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by John*D
Look at the actual discs themselves, maybe they were loose originally and have scratches or fingerprints or something that is causeing the laser to screwup...

I have all 8 seasons + Atlantis S1 and haven't had a problem other than what has already been mentioned regarding Threads, as well as the missing stills gallery from season 5, but those weren't disc playing error problems.

Good luck.
Right, that's the frustrating thing. The discs themselves look absolutely perfect. I haven't had a problem with Atlantis at all. And with SG-1 there were one or two episodes where there seemed to be a small glitch that I could just skip over, so I didn't think a whole lot of it. But when I completely couldn't watch certain episodes, I started feeling a bit cheated.
Old 05-18-06, 01:13 AM
Cool New Member

I have purchased all the seasons (thanks to the bb 2for1 deal) and I have just started going through season 1 and noticed a few pauses at times on my sony dvp s-7700. Ususally it's one pause on one disc so I am assuming they are layer changes (although this player usually never sticks on layer changes). Other then that little nitpick I really haven't noticed too many other problems.
Old 05-18-06, 01:22 AM

Originally Posted by Kestra
The most recent one is "The Lost City," Season 7, episode 21, disc 5.

I have all the Stargate DVDs, and all of mind played fine, but have heard that there were widespread problems with the 'Lost City' episode in season 7.
Old 05-20-06, 11:18 PM

Originally Posted by Christi P
I have all the Stargate DVDs, and all of mind played fine, but have heard that there were widespread problems with the 'Lost City' episode in season 7.
That one was still within the returnable time period so luckily I was able to exchange it and we got one with a good disc. I can live with the other errors if I can't manage to exchange them. It just sucks that there are multiple skips. What are the odds of getting an entire batch of defective DVDs like that?

Still, thanks for your help guys. I'm much happier now.
Old 05-21-06, 02:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts
I've got all 8 sets of SG-1 and have only had time to go through the first two seasons. I'm hoping they all play fine. I wish this were not something we had to deal with.