Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Munich 2 Disc Oop?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-06, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts
The shop I frequent only got about 1/2 of what they were promised, like 5 copies. Thankfully I had my hold order in palce pretty early so one of them was mine.
Old 05-10-06, 01:51 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Filmmaker
One man's poor is another man's jewel. And have you SEEN the cover art?!
Exactly. I'm a big fan on the film, and a collector as well. So, it might sound strange, but even if I were to never watch the features, I'd want to own the LE. Gladiator had more than enough features I thought, but for the reasons above, I wanted to own the extended version as well And with One Day In September around to compliment Munich, I have all the extra material I need.

Has anyone confirmed what exactly is on the Wal-Mart bonus disc?

Last edited by MoviesRMyLife; 05-10-06 at 01:55 PM.
Old 05-10-06, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by LiK
so it seems, unlike jarhead, this was just a mistake that most people want extra stuff with their DVDs. wow, seems like a big fuck up considering that one of the reasons people like DVDs are for the extras.
I would have to assume that the decision was based on information more specific and detailed than "people like extras". I would imagine that, for instance, sales of the limited edition 'Terminal' factored into it. I'm not sure, but I think you seem needlessly angry. It was clearly a mistake.

So, what I'm wondering is, will this still be a "Limited Collector's Edition"? That link to spielberg.com both says everyone who really wants won should be able to get one, but still calls it limited, so that's weird.
Any time a company calls a release "limited" but does not give a specific number, it's a marketing thing. [One possible exception to this is 'Brain Damage', where the limited edition was limited to however many they had printed to satisfy orders by a certain date; it was a genuinely limited edition, but I don't think they ever set a number as to the limit.]

Though it would be cool if they did a second-printing variant, to give the people who rushed out yesterday to track it down a sorta collector's item.
Old 05-10-06, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by scott1598
and why the clamour over this edition when there is another thread stating how poor it is?
I believe "opining" would be more accurate than "stating".

Anyway, have you read that thread? There were two negative reviews, one of which was posted well into the thread, about the extras, which prompted a few people who didn't even have the disc to say how disappointing it was. Having bought the disc myself and actually watched it, I humble disagree with them. I think the reviewers' expectations were too high, for reasons I get into in the thread. It could've been better, but based on those reviews, I was expecting an HBO making of or something.

Do you notice how much calmer that thread is now that the DVD is actually released?
Old 05-10-06, 02:37 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 913 Likes on 773 Posts
Originally Posted by ThatGuamGuy
I believe "opining" would be more accurate than "stating".

Anyway, have you read that thread? There were two negative reviews, one of which was posted well into the thread, about the extras, which prompted a few people who didn't even have the disc to say how disappointing it was. Having bought the disc myself and actually watched it, I humble disagree with them. I think the reviewers' expectations were too high, for reasons I get into in the thread. It could've been better, but based on those reviews, I was expecting an HBO making of or something.

Do you notice how much calmer that thread is now that the DVD is actually released?
i guess i'll have to rent the movie to see if the extras are worth it. since the LE will be around i can wait.
Old 05-10-06, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

So I placed an order for this last night with DVDPlanet and Munich 2-disc was listed as in stock. Today, it's listed as no longer available even in my order history. So I gave them a call today to see if I'll be receiving a copy and a rep said they have one reserved for my order. I hope so! I'm still debating if I should go out and hunt around here to see if I could score a copy in a B&M.
Old 05-10-06, 04:41 PM

I'm not sure I believe that Spielberg fan site. This situation with Munich has been exactly like what happened with Jarhead and there hasn't been an influx of those following the original release. Stores may get a few more, but I'm skeptical as to whether you'll be able to find the 2-disc Munich at major retailers in a couple of months.
Old 05-10-06, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,302 Likes on 946 Posts
Originally Posted by slowcloud
I think I'll place an order on DDD, and see what happens...
I ordered mine last night and it shipped today.
Old 05-10-06, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by purplechoe
So I placed an order for this last night with DVDPlanet and Munich 2-disc was listed as in stock. Today, it's listed as no longer available even in my order history. So I gave them a call today to see if I'll be receiving a copy and a rep said they have one reserved for my order. I hope so! I'm still debating if I should go out and hunt around here to see if I could score a copy in a B&M.
Just received a shipping confirmation from DVDPlanet.
Old 05-10-06, 07:32 PM

I ordered from DDD yesterday night. Shipped today!

Best Buy in my area said they were actually expecting more copies tomorrow, so I don't know what to believe about whether this is really that rare.
Old 05-10-06, 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by rmick
I ordered from DDD yesterday night. Shipped today!

Best Buy in my area said they were actually expecting more copies tomorrow, so I don't know what to believe about whether this is really that rare.
it's not, did you read the linked article in this thread? more to come...
Old 05-10-06, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by scott1598
it's not, did you read the linked article in this thread? more to come...
From the way I read it you are to keep looking, but they are not making more.

I got mine from DDD's little outlet store along with jarhead CE!
good day for me.
Old 05-10-06, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

It's the power of the crayon, strife
Old 05-10-06, 08:51 PM

So has anyone been able to find out why the 2-disc isn't available in Canada? I was tempted to buy the single-disc edition earlier this week, but I held off until I could get more details.
Old 05-11-06, 12:56 AM
Cool New Member

I am also curious as to why it wasn't made available in Canada. It sounds as though it is so limited they didn't even consider north of the border lol.

A few mom and pop stores told me to call back next week as they are going to try and import it. I'll update if I find out anything.
Old 05-11-06, 01:54 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by souvenir
I'm not sure I believe that Spielberg fan site. This situation with Munich has been exactly like what happened with Jarhead and there hasn't been an influx of those following the original release. Stores may get a few more, but I'm skeptical as to whether you'll be able to find the 2-disc Munich at major retailers in a couple of months.
the Jarhead 2disc still can be found at other stores
Old 05-11-06, 08:51 AM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by stolen_property
I am also curious as to why it wasn't made available in Canada.
Are you looking for an answer other than "because it's Canada"?

Old 05-11-06, 08:58 AM

Ordered mine from DDD yesterday...now it's vanished from their site and my order. Do a search on it, the Munich SE is gone. Here's what my order looks like: Munich is blank, I hope they don't charge me $27.88 for air.

MILLER'S CROSSING IN PROCESS 1 $0.00 0 N/A N/A
THE KING OF COMEDY PREORDER 1 $9.98 0 ~06/06/06 N/A
BARTON FINK IN PROCESS 1 $9.98 0 N/A N/A
IN PROCESS 1 $27.88 0 N/A N/A

Shipping: $0.00
Order Total: $47.84
Tax Charged: $0.00
Total Charged: $0.00
Old 05-11-06, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by strife
From the way I read it you are to keep looking, but they are not making more.
Well, it said that they made more than enough but stores under-ordered, so they have plenty to ship out to meet re-orders. It also certainly seemed to imply that they would print more if they needed to.

I am also curious as to why it wasn't made available in Canada.
Scroll up, or back a page or two, there is at least one person who posted that said where in Canada it was available. Though I do realize, it's a big country... [I notice the Spielbergfilms site says otherwise, but I think that might be because of the misinformation floating around on-line.]

Last edited by ThatGuamGuy; 05-11-06 at 09:10 AM.
Old 05-11-06, 10:37 AM
LiK

Originally Posted by ThatGuamGuy
I would have to assume that the decision was based on information more specific and detailed than "people like extras". I would imagine that, for instance, sales of the limited edition 'Terminal' factored into it. I'm not sure, but I think you seem needlessly angry. It was clearly a mistake.
just to clarify, i wasn't angry when i wrote that comment. just cuz i was cussing doesn't mean i was angry...don't read into my comment too much man

Last edited by LiK; 05-11-06 at 10:47 AM.
Old 05-11-06, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If you live in the Boston area, you can pick up the "collector's edition" of Munich for $27.99 at Newbury Comics -- and both stores I visited in the city have an ample supply.
Old 05-11-06, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by bookcase3
If you live in the Boston area, you can pick up the "collector's edition" of Munich for $27.99 at Newbury Comics -- and both stores I visited in the city have an ample supply.
or $25.99 at Tower Records (YMMV).
Old 05-11-06, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by cbtaber
Ordered mine from DDD yesterday...now it's vanished from their site and my order. Do a search on it, the Munich SE is gone.
Holy cow, you're right. Gone. Poof.

I'm glad I didn't wait to order it.
Old 05-11-06, 06:53 PM
Cool New Member

Ordered dvd from DVDPlanet on 5/7. E-mail yesterday (5/10) said it shipped. Today when I log on to the DVDPlanet web site and check recent orders, it says Munich No Longer Available!!!
Customer service says it shipped. Dealing with them in the past, I realize customer service is not always correct. Just have to wait to see what happens.
Old 05-11-06, 10:59 PM

I ordered from DVDEmpire yesterday and it shipped today (Not sure when I'll get it though as I'm in Canada). When I ordered it said they were on order, right now it says it's In Stock.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.