DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   Munich 2 Disc Oop? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/464837-munich-2-disc-oop.html)

jdugger2 05-09-06 09:39 AM

Munich 2 Disc Oop?

Amazon has the Munich 2 disc limited edition as being unavailable and there's no other date. Best Buy online has it backordered for 1-2 weeks, but I was able to pick one up at their store. Does anyone know what's going on? I'd buy mine now before they're gone.

Big Worms 05-09-06 09:46 AM

Limited Edition. Just like most recently Jarhead and Cinderella Man. Unlike cars, they actually mean that they are limited, so you are right if you want it get it now.

jdugger2 05-09-06 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by Big Worms
Limited Edition. Just like most recently Jarhead and Cinderella Man. Unlike cars, they actually mean that they are limited, so you are right if you want it get it now.

At least now they're actually limited. Remember the Limited Edition Saving Private Ryan that was around for years?

LiK 05-09-06 10:02 AM

wow, this is scary, why take them away in one week? i better get it at my local BB today

kms_md 05-09-06 10:04 AM

my order has not shipped from amazon yet -- i ordered it about a month ago. my jarhead ce shipped the date of release. if i see it at the B&M today, i may pick it up and cancel the amazon order.

movieking 05-09-06 10:25 AM

It wasn't even released in Canada, according to an article I read.

Kocheese99 05-09-06 10:26 AM

yep even our distributor couldn't send me one and i ordered over a month ago. They even said you're probably not going to get it. So basically Jarhead all over again.

Cameron McGaughy 05-09-06 10:29 AM

Barnes and Noble .com says it's in stock; free shipping...if you're a member, you can get it shipped for $25.18 plus tax...usually they ship fast.

DarthMarino 05-09-06 11:07 AM

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...ino/munich.jpg

It does exist. I picked it up for $28.99 at Best Buy. I think paying nine extra dollars was justified. A second disc with 80 minutes of features, classy packaging, a 36 page photobook. As far as it's availability, I saw none in Walmart and this was the only one I saw in Best Buy.

dvd_luver 05-09-06 11:12 AM

I think studios are doing this because these dvd's are just limited anyhow, and they want to make that clear as daylight to their customers, so people will buy them now instead of waiting or late. Am I wrong?

Big Worms 05-09-06 11:15 AM

In case you missed it, feeback on the 2 disc set.

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=464303

Joe Canadian 05-09-06 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by movieking
It wasn't even released in Canada, according to an article I read.

Semi-confirmed... Futureshop does not have it listed on their site nor it it in their stores (AFAIK), no Wal-Marts have it here, and it is not at HMV or Music World.

mh4268 05-09-06 11:34 AM

When I went to my BB they had like 8-12 of these at 10AM. When I left at 10:20 they had none. I then remembered some dude walking around with a stack of all the same item, he mustve bought all of them.

paulringodaman 05-09-06 11:39 AM

Don't worry, you can get it on ebay in a few months for a couple bucks...look at the 2-Disc OOP Batman Begins.....

Big Worms 05-09-06 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by paulringodaman
Don't worry, you can get it on ebay in a few months for a couple bucks...look at the 2-Disc OOP Batman Begins.....

Thats not true. For a better comparison look at Jarhead that one goes for about $40. Cinderella Man goes for about the same. The difference is that Batman Begins is not OOP. Only the the first release with the comic book.

Mr. Cinema 05-09-06 12:14 PM

3 of my Best Buys are now out. I think I may just get the 1 disc and then hope Munich comes out on HD-DVD sooner rather than later. Probably later though as I'm sure Spielberg titles will take a while to debut on the new formats.

Good thing about these 2 discs sets is all the features are showing up on HD. Cinderella Man and Jarhead HD-DVDs have the exact same features as the 2-disc dvd set. Batman Begins should be the same.

Captain Freeze 05-09-06 12:24 PM

I was at my local Best Buy at 11am.

They had two left. I snagged one, and some guy right behind me took the last one.

They didnt have any up front with the new relaeses, they were in the drama aisle.

tofferman 05-09-06 12:31 PM

There were only four copies (now three) at the Best Buy in Bend, so at worst it is as limited as the Jarhead 2 disc. Shopko advertised it as being on sale, but they didn't get any at all.

Filmmaker 05-09-06 12:56 PM

Only 3 copies at my Best Buy at 12:15; now 2, he he...

Artman 05-09-06 12:59 PM

Has anyone been able to come with a rational reason why U goes to the trouble to produce a collector's edition and then makes it as hard as possible for the consumer (and retailers) to get? I understand the concept of releasing two versions and the more expensive one in fewer quantities, but this is ridiculous....

Give the marketing team another raise!

Billyspunk 05-09-06 01:06 PM

Here in the MA area all the Best Buys have them in stock. Seem to be well stocked in SE MA, I think you people drive the hype and cause people to rush out and buy all you find, making it impossible to find one. RELAX!

OldBoy 05-09-06 01:29 PM

you'll still be able to find these at retailers in weeks to come. people jump the gun and scare everyone by saying it is OOP! just because they can't find it so readily or "Amazon" says it's "unavailable".

Like with "Jarhead" CE they were hard to come by on actual release day and people screamed OOP already???, but they are still around now and can be had in select stores, CC and Tower being two of them. they maybe aren't readily available today (release day) but they will still be around later, so no one needs to get all in a tizzy over these.

awmurray 05-09-06 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by LiK
wow, this is scary, why take them away in one week? i better get it at my local BB today

I think you just answered you own question.

They're trying to invoke the "oh, shit, I won't be able to buy the extra disc for $10" syndrome. If you have time to think about it, you might not buy it, but you've got to make a decision NOW based on the fear that it won't be available later. And decisions based on fear are often wrong. It's good marketing, though.

I'm waiting for the HD release, though.

Big Dave 05-09-06 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by Artman
Has anyone been able to come with a rational reason why U goes to the trouble to produce a collector's edition and then makes it as hard as possible for the consumer (and retailers) to get? I understand the concept of releasing two versions and the more expensive one in fewer quantities, but this is ridiculous....

Give the marketing team another raise!

I think it has to do with more and more people waiting to purchase discs for a couple months after release. Not a major release, but something like the Ultimate Avengers DVD that has a msrp of $20, was available for $13 on release day (2/21), for $10 last month, and now can be picked up as part of a 3/$20 deal this week. So in 2 and a half months you can get it for 1/2 of its release pice, 1/3 of its msrp.

These new limited edition do not allow for that. You better buy it right away or else pay more on eBay. This creates a real sense of urgency to buy it now.

Mr. Cinema 05-09-06 01:55 PM

After 6 initially had them, only 1 local Best Buy near me had this in stock. I'm so glad they allow instore pickup for dvds as I just placed my order. Now need to worry as I can pick it up after work.

I'll get the HD version when it's released, but I think that will be several months down the road.